Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Really dislike the push button cover actions that have replaced the once glorious swipe cover actions
I, on the other hand, really, really, REALLY like them. But I do not go on about it in my every post.

without option to choose between two modes.
Yes, an option would make the wolf sated and the goat in one piece.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
Maybe if changing screens was restricted to edge swipes only, but I don't know how it would be received by newbies. ...
Maybe swipe cover actions should be made a configurable option...
Only horizontal changing screens needs to be restricted to edge swipes and those are the most easy to pull of (in phone portret mode).

Newbie horizontal swipe functionality:

Edge swipe left: notifications (or back to multitasking)
Edge swipe right: notifications (or back to multitasking)
Edge Swipe middle to left: notifications (or back to multitasking)
Edge Swipe middle to right: notifications (or back to multitasking)

Configurable is the way to go, especially since very soon there will be users giving feedback based on larger display tablet experience while others are using the phone.

And we have a "gestures" menu that is virtually empty (contains 2 items only) to put all those extra configuration options.

We have an OS that is described as (9/2015): It’s unlike what you’re used to. But once you get the hang of the gesture based Sailfish OS, you’ll never want to go back. Totally independent and highly adaptive, Sailfish OS is an open platform, so if you know how, you can change whatever you want, whenever you want.

Newbies:

they are encouraged to try and get the hang of it, aren't they?

With configurable option I would ask them: hey how long have you been using Sailfish and you did not yet enable swipe cover actions? Let me show you something really nice: now, go to settings...

I would be seriously interested to see scientific publishing about the cover actions operation where a representative group of elders, hipster and managers including long term Android / iOS users and a few chimps are using Sailfish for a month and later get interviewed about the swipe cover action system and if they like to see it go or configurable.

I suspect it was through feedback of potential hardware partners that the swipe cover actions needed to go. Too complicated , too confusing, our customers blah blah...

Why should I have to start from unilaterally stripped down version to go "change whatever I want" through patches to make it look like the more powerful Sailfish which I took for granted only weeks ago?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I, on the other hand, really, really, REALLY like them. But I do not go on about it in my every post.

Yes, an option would make the wolf sated and the goat in one piece.
Sorry, for that but now we are still in the preview 2.0 feedback time.

Well thanks for reminding me that I really really REALLY should have gone one about how much I liked the swipe cover actions in every post instead of taking it for granted. Signature changed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Configurable is the way to go, especially since very soon there will be users giving feedback based on larger display tablet experience while others are using the phone.
Maybe. However, there is always the possibility of backfiring if people find it too confusing or if different swipes interfere with each other too much. That's why Sailfish 1.0 had quite steep learning curve, even if power users liked it to some extent (as amount of rants is constant :P). Personally I prefer 2.0 and cover actions were not that important to me even with older version.

Why should I have to start from unilaterally stripped down version to go "change whatever I want" through patches to make it look like the more powerful Sailfish which I took for granted only weeks ago?
I would understand that statement if some fundamental feature was stripped away for no reason. Your pain might be eased by making in configurable, but the result may not be consistent anymore that way. So, it's balancing... you cannot please all, if you try you won't please anyone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Why wont you just give me some ****ing toggles in my eventsview jolla.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Does someone know where are stored the images used for the ambiances?

Originally Posted by romu View Post
Does someone know where are stored the images used for the ambiances?
/usr/share/ambience

(The installed ones only. Not sure where your own are.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
Is there a together.jolla.com request for that and if so, care to point to it?

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
They are there in 1.1.9.28, but for the tablet only. Coming to the phone in the next version.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ssahla For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ssahla View Post
They are there in 1.1.9.28, but for the tablet only. Coming to the phone in the next version.
They also show up with coderus' patch. Not configurable; you need another patch to make that possible. Turn Settings -> Events to landscape and the toggles get exposed. The configurability is a bit limited but better than nothing.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: