Active Topics

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 148 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Tallinn, Estonia
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
how you guys convinced your wife to jolla? usually,but not mandatory, girls are less interested in tech and dont care about open source or oses
SFOS and Jolla hardware is not ready for this level of adoption yet. Once you see how quickly everything moves on iOS, they simply will not put up with Jolla. We are on the new platform because we understand the long term consequences of living in the world where only choice is Android or iOS, and it'll likely be just us until we've worked the quality of the experience up to feel at least near-equal to iOS.

(Personal multi-year gifting experience with N9)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lkravovicz For This Useful Post:
i have to say thar i dont like ios so much,is fluid and simple,but for me isnt intuitive..maybe i am strange. sure is better than android in this way,but i have found Windows phone more easier to use..after sailfish

quite OT: on tmo most of all say that n9 is still better than jolla as usability...this may be for nostalgic reasons and habits, so i would like to try the opposite path . i use sailfish everyday but i have never tried n9 yet...theres a way to install it on n5? dont wanna buy n9

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
how you guys convinced your wife to jolla? usually,but not mandatory, girls are less interested in tech and dont care about open source or oses
She wouldn't want the Jolla, even when given. The Jolla seemed too complicated for her (in other words, she feels she is too busy and not interested in trying new tech toys at all that may slow down here daily habits)
Then the Samsung broke down out of warranty and she had no choice but trying the Jolla as a replacement.

Luckily the Sailfish OS at the time was mature enough.

Among the checklist of absolute basic requirements:

Both can work but need Android solutions. Used CSIPSimple for SIP.
Shame it was not included by Jolla.

I discovered Jockr for Flickr, nice native program!

Some VPN connection with office exchange server I chose not to install.

Gave here a Lastu leather + birch wood case which I found not so convenient and after a week she loved the phone with this combo and she dropped it hard (a habbit she has with new things) on the aluminum corners but it survived

Only negative comment I have received is that sometimes the call doesn't get through but I guess it is a problem with 4G. Also SMS sometimes don't get delivered , most likely due to same reason.

Conclusion, Sailfish is not hard to use, but as you say, most women have other interests.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by lkravovicz View Post
SFOS and Jolla hardware is not ready for this level of adoption yet. Once you see how quickly everything moves on iOS, they simply will not put up with Jolla. We are on the new platform because we understand the long term consequences of living in the world where only choice is Android or iOS, and it'll likely be just us until we've worked the quality of the experience up to feel at least near-equal to iOS.

(Personal multi-year gifting experience with N9)
My mum likes SOS but she's too addicted to BB10 to fully switch but she does use the Jolla Phone to play around every once in a while. My mum doesn't like iOS at all (she tried it out in store a few times), BB10 is her great love (and mine as well, SOS my 2nd) My dad is a 'dumb' smartphone user but he loves SOS on his Jolla Phone.
My grandma is a 'dumb' smartphone user as well but she uses Windows Phone, just like my grandpa (but he is a tech guy though).

And yes, I'm telling in the truth, this is not a made-up story.

Last edited by vistaus; 2015-09-20 at 19:29.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
ste-phan, but now she's using jolla?

vistaus, your dad sos,your mum bb10 (im going to try it in the future) , what a tech family! you should have also a pet robot, i guess!!

The Following User Says Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
ste-phan, but now she's using jolla?

vistaus, your dad sos,your mum bb10 (im going to try it in the future) , what a tech family! you should have also a pet robot, i guess!!
Like I said: my dad is not a tech person. My mum is in between tech and non-tech, tbh. And I have a normal cat as a pet

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
i was simply joking! however can claim that they are, if i compare them to mine.
my mum who use an android samsung phone (we,facking bastards) makes unvuluntary calls and send void sms; everytime i have to rexplain how to use it. my dad uses an s5; i am gonna tell u only that he fighted with his device just to deactivate senior mode with giant buttons and less options/apps, that my brother had previously activsted in order to prevent damages. ahahaha

Last edited by itdoesntmatt; 2015-09-20 at 23:10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
And the reasons? Mind that they are just my opinion:
  • Canonical and their attitude towards the rest of the Linux/FOSS world. This is one good example. I do not want to support such attitude.
  • Mir (related to the previous point)
  • No multitasking
  • Unintuitive design (I am complaining about SailfishOS 2.0, but that's nothing compared to UT's side and bottom swipes).
  • Alarm doesn't go off when the phone is turned off.
  • The focus on Web apps and its effect on the native app situation.
  • Last time I heard, it was nowhere near the functionality completion or optimization of SailfishOS.
  • After the Ubuntu Edge con and the issue with Ubuntu (Desktop) automatically sending your searches to Amazon for search suggestions, I wouldn't rely on it for my data/privacy.
Another things to add to the list:

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
But yes, better to explain with a picture:
http://mosushi.net/misc/jolla_scratch.jpg
Ohh, You have the same color combination iin TOHKBD2 as I do
(only luckily my phone is not so battered as yours...)

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
You're absolutely right, no electronics hardware company can possibly sell their hardware at a higher price than the competition and survive.
I presume you're joking here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla phone