Active Topics

one thing i still dont understand is that horrible curtain animation indeed of fade effect. and sure, i have patched that horrible freezing like remorse animation and even the animation when you double tap with locked. phone. i dont understand why they have changed this things in order to make life more difficult.. the most important mistake, however, is the changing cover swipe with button ..i have also patched it, but i wait for nodevel implement ,in addiction of pull up, pulldown menu for cover, moving one button icon on top of cover,and one of bottom..

i thing that in jolla there is a problem. they are based on community suggestion but they heard only what they like. otherwise such appreciated features hadnt been removed.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
i thing that in jolla there is a problem. they are based on community suggestion but they heard only what they like. otherwise such appreciated features hadnt been removed.
That doesn't hurt me, I would even say that's normal. They are "product" focused. Customers complaints can only be taken into account for a part. Otherwise...you create Android, a product with no personality at all.

I think they have a vision of what SFOS should be, probably a roadmap of coming features and they have to stay stuck to this path.

The Following User Says Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
romu why without personality? maybe without it are product copied by android,wich have a style that i dont like,however. i can understand your arguments but if they had an idea of how sailfish has to be, it wouldnt make sense adding and removing characteristic features that are there since the beginning and also apprecciated.. on the other hands you could not blind in your arrogance, bacause you need to sell the product, unless u want to end like old nokia. straight on its way, straight against the wall...its good they try different think in order to experience reactions, paying attention to discern whether a critic is from " being use to " ( wich needs some time time, after that u appreciate new solutions) or when its related to a real, opinable but reasonable, discomfort of new solutions

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
i thing that in jolla there is a problem. they are based on community suggestion but they heard only what they like. otherwise such appreciated features hadn't been removed.
Those premium features we came to appreciate and that made up for initial and current shortcomings weren't there because Jolla staff did not like them.

I think removing those features must be hard for them as well especially if the changes are dictated by external investors that have tested the phone a week or two next to their main Android / iPhone.

Most likely a lot would be explained if we could get insight in the viewpoints from Intex India. Why they liked to have an alternative next to Android and on which terms they have negotiated a partnership with Jolla.

"Intex Technologies Head, Mobile Business, Sanjay Kalirona told at the Mobile World Congress Shanghai 2015 to Indiatimes:

"We plan to launch the first Sailfish device in November. It will be 4G-enabled and will come under the sub-10K price range" "

10K rupee = 133 Euro.

I guess that even in India that is not the price level at which people expect "unlike, privacy aware, gesture based fancy OS" Just cheap smartphone with same as Android functionality for slightly less money?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Here is an old video showing fading effect going from maximized applications to minimized.
I could have watched that all day and would never expect it would be gone in 2015.

1) Seamless swipe: "fade to minimized" - effect -> today not anymore thanks to some added curtain effect

2) Concurrent animation of the fading maximized version and the video on the app cover -> today no more, as soon as you start to swipe to minimize the app, the large, fading version freezes and only the cover plays.
Ohhh... You touched the point.
This one single change annoyed me the most.
Yes, Yes... I now you will eat me now, "because the change is so small"...
But it annoyed me every single time I switched apps... And annoyances accumulate... You don't even notice, when you are angry for no apparent reason... So called "death by thousand cuts".

And there are more of these little changes that annoy a user every single time, by a little bit... And even more with every single "upgrade"...

Until enough is enough...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Those premium features we came to appreciate and that made up for initial and current shortcomings weren't there because Jolla staff did not like them.

I think removing those features must be hard for them as well especially if the changes are dictated by external investors that have tested the phone a week or two next to their main Android / iPhone.

Most likely a lot would be explained if we could get insight in the viewpoints from Intex India. Why they liked to have an alternative next to Android and on which terms they have negotiated a partnership with Jolla.

"Intex Technologies Head, Mobile Business, Sanjay Kalirona told at the Mobile World Congress Shanghai 2015 to Indiatimes:

"We plan to launch the first Sailfish device in November. It will be 4G-enabled and will come under the sub-10K price range" "

10K rupee = 133 Euro.

I guess that even in India that is not the price level at which people expect "unlike, privacy aware, gesture based fancy OS" Just cheap smartphone with same as Android functionality for slightly less money?
i expressed concept in a wrong way. i didnt mean they "like" but rather "they want", to intend not only what they appreciate more,but even what they have to do in order to reach their aim (contract, partnership)

Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Ohhh... You touched the point.
This one single change annoyed me the most.
Yes, Yes... I now you will eat me now, "because the change is so small"...
I actually had use for this animation: as soon as you started horizontally swiping the application it started to fade.

That made an excellent screen dimmer for checking web pages in the dark. Swipe a few mm and hold you thumb to dim.

And then somebody with less imagination took it away.

Naturally we feel annoyed.

It smelt like potential in the morning
and turned into compromise in the evening.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
I actually had use for this animation: as soon as you started horizontally swiping the application it started to fade.

That made an excellent screen dimmer for checking web pages in the dark. Swipe a few mm and hold you thumb to dim.

And then somebody with less imagination took it away.

Naturally we feel annoyed.

It smelt like potential in the morning
and turned into compromise in the evening.
Sorry for going off topic, but you instantly reminded me about https://xkcd.com/1172/

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TemeV For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TemeV View Post
Sorry for going off topic, but you instantly reminded me about https://xkcd.com/1172/
ah?
I don't know why they changed it. Was there any problem comparable to "CPU overheating" in the good old fade animation when minimizing an application?
Did it suck battery? Peak CPU?

If not it reminds me to: we clocked down the CPU because in 5% of user cases it would overheat the keyboard when put on top of the case.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
That, or they just wanted to annoy you