Moderator | Posts: 3,716 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by jolla-pirate View Post
The ambiance should be a profile!
Not just a picture with some sounds!
It should be fully configurable!
Isn't it the same as on Symbian and S40 with "Profiles"? (sounds and pics)

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I was watching Apple announce '3dTouch' yesterday which essentially boils down to context sensitive menus aka right-clicking aka cover actions thinking that that would solve a lot of issues in Sailfish.

Odd though that Apple are adding power-user options while Jolla are removing theirs in an effort to dumb the UI down so 'normal' users don't get confused by swipe gestures.
and when jolla decide to add it again apple sue's jolla :/

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Is it just me, or did the OOM get really bad in this release?
I think it is even worse than before they fixed it in the beginning of this year.

For example, just now - I had 4 (!) apps open - two random native apps (not resource hungry), browser with one tab loaded (some mobile website) and LLs Video Player with a paused video. I wanted to continue playing the video, so I clicked on it, but the app cover started loading again.

The OOM must have killed it and I lost the progress of the video. What's worse, I had no idea the app wasn't running until I reopened it. This really reminds me of Android where you can never be sure what's running and what's not, but Android at least has a possibility to suspend those apps without losing the state, unlike SailfishOS (I'm not saying I want it, I just want to have my apps running).

I'm quite mad right now... If I at least knew OOM killed it, but finding out this way...

EDIT:
It did it again!

Apps open:
  • LLs Video Player (paused)
  • Hangish
  • Calendar
  • Settings

I never had problems with these apps in the previous releases. Now the video got killed again! And again, I noticed only after wanting to resume the video.

EDIT 2:

Please vote on these two questions:

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-09-10 at 20:44.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Is it just me, or did the OOM get really bad in this release?
I think it is even worse than before they fixed it in the beginning of this year.

For example, just now - I had 4 (!) apps open - two random native apps (not resource hungry), browser with one tab loaded (some mobile website) and LLs Video Player with a paused video. I wanted to continue playing the video, so I clicked on it, but the app cover started loading again.

The OOM must have killed it and I lost the progress of the video. What's worse, I had no idea the app wasn't running until I reopened it. This really reminds me of Android where you can never be sure what's running and what's not, but Android at least has a possibility to suspend those apps without losing the state, unlike SailfishOS (I'm not saying I want it, I just want to have my apps running).

I'm quite mad right now... If I at least knew OOM killed it, but finding out this way...
The cover becomes blurred when the app is killed. The blurring is not so well distinguishable though, Jolla has to do something to make it more obvious that the app died.

I don't have problems with OOM though. I've been having a couple of Android apps browser and bunch of other apps open all day and they haven't been dying. Just to test the blurred cover feature I had to open like 12-15 apps before the first one died.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TemeV For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by TemeV View Post
The cover becomes blurred when the app is killed. The blurring is not so well distinguishable though, Jolla has to do something to make it more obvious that the app died.
In the OS X Dock, running apps are distinguished from closed apps by having a small white dot placed beneath their icon.

Actually, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier to just steal the concept of the OS X Dock completely. All running apps have their icons automatically inserted at the end of the dock; the user has the ability to rearrange icons at will; icons are removed from the dock when the app exits, unless the user explicitly chooses to keep them in the dock; all icons can be animated to provide additional information to the user; and an unlimited number of commands can be issued to the app from the icon using a context menu.

In short, the Dock is doing exactly what the Sailfish Home Screen is trying to do: both task management and app interaction. It gets away with this by hiding all interaction commands behind a context menu. Because there are no visible interaction controls taking up screen space, the Dock does a very good job of intuitive task management (and can also put a lot of icons on the screen in a very small space).

Again, this is me beating the same drum again: the Home Screen should focus on either Task Management or App Interaction, not try to do both at the same time.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
I really hate this swipe left or right to unlock, swiping down is just so much more comfortable to me.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ejjoman View Post
The launcher style is relatively easy to patch. Unfortunately I have no time to make an rpm of it now...

Attachment 37690Attachment 37691
Could you share instruction/patch for transparent background ??
Thanks !

The Following User Says Thank You to jollarocks For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Hold down volume down until you feel a vibration. Works blind and on lock screen, too.
Yeah I know this...but still.

Originally Posted by jollarocks View Post
Could you share instruction/patch for transparent background ??
Thanks !
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1485

Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Well what I don't like on the muting options is, that I can't use ringring restorer anymore. now we need an ambiance restorer.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post: