Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by tommo View Post
Imagine the new new wait with added 3g, sometime in 2016
I'm not against a new mid 2016 wait incl. 3G and upgraded audio part.

While experiencing this new wait and dreaming about the end result,
I got to feel thankful to Jolla for having sold to me an incentive not to purchase anyone else's crap.

The longer the new wait lasts, the more money I will have saved for only USD 199 .

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
I'm not against a new mid 2016 wait incl. 3G and upgraded audio part.

While experiencing this new wait and dreaming about the end result,
I got to feel thankful to Jolla for having sold to me an incentive not to purchase anyone else's crap.

The longer the new wait lasts, the more money I will have saved for only USD 199 .
If you want upgraded audio, it will be nearer 2017. I think the whole campaign was just marc dillons holiday fund, when he gets back they see how much money is left and build a tablet
#holidaypowered!

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Tablet hardware update blog now available:

https://blog.jolla.com/jolla-tablet-hardware-update/

Long story short: The first tablet display was found lacking, so they went with a second display that had significantly better brightness and color output. Unfortunately, this display had low yields when produced in volume (lots of yellow blotches on the screen), so they located a third display. This one worked well, but used a different type of interface, which demanded more PC board changes. Thus, the delay.

Also, the USB port had to be modified, as the original one was not sturdy enough. (These guys did remember the N900 it seems. )

Also, a "Hall Sensor" has been added, so that tablet covers can now automatically turn off the display when the cover is closed.

The factory is in the final process of assembling the first tablets now; the first tablets should hopefully be packaged up by July 31st, and then sent off to developers for testing.

EDIT: And, mosen beat me to the punch this time.

Last edited by Copernicus; 2015-07-27 at 15:27.

Read the first comment. Jolla just cannot win, can they?

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
EDIT: And, mosen beat me to the punch this time.
only because you did a nice recap i guess

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Given the reaction by folks when they did provide info, I'd have to say yeah, delaying without giving a reason seems to have no downside.
Copernicus, I hope that even you admit that the info they had provided was half info at the very best. Partial information only leads to speculations.

There are only two proper ways to deal with things like that: full disclosure (100%) or no info at all (0%). You advocate 0%, I am in favour of 100% but would also accept 0% as a viable alternative. What Jolla did about the tablet release was around the 30% mark. That is neither here nor there and was definitely a bad PR. I hope they have learned their lesson.

Tablet hardware update blog update now available:

https://blog.jolla.com/jolla-tablet-hardware-update/
Now we are talking! If they had released all this info as and when those things were happening, that would have been an entirely different song! That would have been something to write home about and praise them for openness and all that jazz.

Now THIS is the kind of explanation that many people were asking for.
Not much to criticise on that one.

Lesson well learned, Jolla.
I for my part have just gained a lot of confidence in the whole process.
These explanations make complete sense. THat's what I would expect as "open communication".

Others might think differently...

Read the first comment. Jolla just cannot win, can they?
Yeah, unbelievable. Don't know what to say about that one...

Originally Posted by Casanunda View Post
Yeah, unbelievable. Don't know what to say about that one...
For some people, the glass will always be "half empty" aka "haters gonna hate"
Had to comment too, thou not replying directly...

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Copernicus, I hope that even you admit that the info they had provided was half info at the very best. Partial information only leads to speculations.
Well, yeah. I think speculations will occur in pretty much any scenario, but yeah, Jolla's efforts at transparency have perhaps not been quite as, hmm, "professional" as they could have been...

There are only two proper ways to deal with things like that: full disclosure (100%) or no info at all (0%).
I guess you could have some success at putting out something like 30%, as long as you state up front that that you're only giving 30%, and avoid some of the angry response that we've seen...

But still, I'm rather amazed at just how vehemently folks are complaining about what seems to my eyes as a standard engineering process. So yeah, I've gotta say that the reward Jolla has received for even their limited amount of transparency has pushed me into the 0% camp.

Now we are talking! If they had released all this info as and when those things were happening, that would have been an entirely different song! That would have been something to write home about and praise them for openness and all that jazz.
I'm not so sure. I could just imagine the angry catcalls from folks complaining that they had no justification in trying to optimize the display, or that they were idiots when the yellow splotches appeared, or that it was the end of the world when they tried to switch from the eDP to MIPI interface. These are questions that their engineering team must have agonized over, and fielding questions from the public about it would surely have led to yet further delays.

I think I prefer this sort of transparency, where the information is provided once the engineering is complete. (Heck, I would have preferred them to wait until after the final testing is done; if their tests bring up further problems at the end of this week, we're going to see yet another storm of criticism for what is an entirely valid and standard step in the process...)

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund