Closed Thread
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Wow... talk about your leap of faith. A company splits to ensure that the right people are placed in the right endeavors/channels and since it goes against your personal whims and expectations; it's a bad thing. No... in fact, it's the worst thing ever and you're going to leave.

All I see is that folks are speaking from a personal investment level and not from a company making moves in an ever-changing environment level. BRICS alone is a good move for Jolla. And that ensures that it will stay more open than Android and iOS.

The hardware division split concerns me. But perhaps it's just to divert folks that would be useless in some areas and make them useful on some Jolla inspired/internal endeavors whereas Sailfish OS is now the push to be an alternative in some of the countries way too fed up with Google and Apple (or just America to be completely honest) and are embracing something that can seem more homegrown and ready faster than starting from scratch.

I don't share any excitement on this. Nor do I have any insider information. But given how the game has changed since 2007; this might be a savvy move.

Or it might not. Time will tell.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Wow... talk about your leap of faith. A company splits to ensure that the right people are placed in the right endeavors/channels
Are you suggesting that they are doing humanitary work?
I think they are all great people and if they were not, they wouldnt have gotten onboard the ship in the first place

and since it goes against your personal whims and expectations; it's a bad thing. No... in fact, it's the worst thing ever and you're going to leave.
Copyright © 2015 NielDK

All I see is that folks are speaking from a personal investment level and not from a company making moves in an ever-changing environment level.
I can only express my own opinion, yes. But, as a 'company' I am always changing. I make bad decisions, and so do Jolla (in my opinion that is).

BRICS alone is a good move for Jolla. And that ensures that it will stay more open than Android and iOS.
Perhaps. But why are we left with some statement in an article, from an interviewer. Why dont we see (and almost never did) such statements here, on TJC or even in the original press release ?
This, unfortunately (in my opinion), is a quite normal way for Jolla to communicate. An open company as they claim they are, seems to be pretty closed (in my opninion)

The hardware division split concerns me.
Well, see, now its not only my opinion, but ours

But perhaps it's just to divert folks that would be useless in some areas and make them useful on some Jolla inspired/internal endeavors
Humanitary work

whereas Sailfish OS is now the push to be an alternative in some of the countries way too fed up with Google and Apple (or just America to be completely honest) and are embracing something that can seem more homegrown and ready faster than starting from scratch.
I dont think thats the reason, but they have seen potiential for growing fast in certain areas. This, in my opinion, is one of the best moves they have done

I don't share any excitement on this. Nor do I have any insider information. But given how the game has changed since 2007; this might be a savvy move.
We share again some opinions here

Or it might not. Time will tell.
Yes, I hope for the best, but I do fear the worst.
^ that statement, believe it or not, is expressing my concern for their survival.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
What you call humanity work, most people would call resource allocation.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
The hardware division split concerns me. But perhaps it's just to divert folks that would be useless in some areas and make them useful on some Jolla inspired/internal endeavors whereas Sailfish OS is now the push to be an alternative in some of the countries way too fed up with Google and Apple (or just America to be completely honest) and are embracing something that can seem more homegrown and ready faster than starting from scratch.
In Techcrunch article it was explained that they want to concentrate more on Sailfish OS and not spend so much time on HW issues in administrative meetings. They could have done it by establishing separate HW department inside Jolla but thought it might not be a good move for startup, so it's more clear if SW and HW are in separate companies. It also gives the new HW company more freedom to operate and explore new things. Don't know how much is left untold, but my gut feeling is that there might be some cooperation-scheme which is possible only with separate HW company. But that's just speculation...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Sadly, this reminds me of Palm's "burning platform" era, when they tried a lot of broken strategies. Including splitting into hardware and software companies.

Eventually, the software part got bought by some other company and the code was never to be seen again. The hardware company, ironically, ended up starting another operating system, which ended up being used on .. TVs? before finally disappearing, too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
I am not so sure. But I hope you are right.
The 'licening' SailfishOS is what mainly sounds worrying.
The announcement is effectively recycled from the last two MWCs (and in between), except with a bit added on stating the explicit intent to separate the two operations ... mainly I expect for accounting reasons as the HW business probably had or needs some big writedowns, and if it continues to be unsustainable (highly likely) they can wind it up much more easily.

TLDR - there isn't really anything new here. Dunno why this statement specifically is what's worrying you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Sadly, this reminds me of Palm's "burning platform" era, when they tried a lot of broken strategies. Including splitting into hardware and software companies.

Eventually, the software part got bought by some other company and the code was never to be seen again. The hardware company, ironically, ended up starting another operating system, which ended up being used on .. TVs? before finally disappearing, too.
I guess time will tell. It makes sense to split risks tho.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2015-07-08 at 10:56.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
So Niel, you leave, then kickstarter then leave again? Your points are exaggerating and interpretative in a massive way, Jolla said they will cease device business, now they announce they continue device business... what is bad in that? That you put different departments in different companies is also risk management and maybe Nokia (or any other company) has their hands in it and Jolla protects SFOS from being bought and destroyed through device investments.

Jolla also announced that they will open more sources, looking at the bigger FOSS companies, they all make money from other companies, not from private users so sailfish-secure will probably their commercial piece in terms of FOSS, highly adapted security devices for specific company/government needs. There are companies out there doing that closed-source without you even knowing their name as they do not offer any consumer devices. I can go on and on fighting your misconduct, but here it is also coming down to 2075eur you got from the community and you quit before you even started, I don't ask for money, I do everything here voluntarily, use my savings to buy devices. If you are worth the shot you probably be in Jolla's developer program... so what hardware did you buy from those 2075eur? Which is 4 phones (including a full stack of TOHs incl TOHKBD) and 3 tablets btw... and will you donate them to the community as you are leaving now?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
I can go on and on fighting your misconduct, but here it is also coming down to 2075eur you got from the community and you quit before you even started, I don't ask for money, I do everything here voluntarily, use my savings to buy devices. If you are worth the shot you probably be in Jolla's developer program... so what hardware did you buy from those 2075eur? Which is 4 phones (including a full stack of TOHs incl TOHKBD) and 3 tablets btw... and will you donate them to the community as you are leaving now?
I don't think he's leaving, see some of the more recent posts of his, he should prolly clarify his OP though, as it's resulting in some folks misunderstanding his position.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I don't think he's leaving, see some of the more recent posts of his, he should prolly clarify his OP though, as it's resulting in some folks misunderstanding his position.
I have to agree, I first thought he was leaving but then read between the lines that the "so long" was more meant for the Jolla movement as the OP's opinion is that things are crumbling a little bit, to put it in my own words.

EDIT: I could be completely wrong though, so a clarification would be nice ;-)

Closed Thread