Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Changing details are not uncommon in agile projects and organizations, as they are not planned in detail into distant future. They are more like evolving as they go, which may lead to impression of "not very well planned" but ultimately it allows to deliver something quickly instead of honing every detail until release (or unti public interes has faded).

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
Changing details are not uncommon in agile projects and organizations, as they are not planned in detail into distant future. They are more like evolving as they go, which may lead to impression of "not very well planned" but ultimately it allows to deliver something quickly instead of honing every detail until release (or unti public interes has faded).
No one argues on that, but there is difference on private project that was changed X times and you get info only after release and you know about it and changes on public project that you have info on how it was planned to be and no changes info, especially if it's critical info that can influence on future of project you already paid for

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
You can do the comparison already.

Ubuntu Edge: Publicity stunt, was never meant to succeed. Every detail was known upfront. Open, public and transparent on every step along the way, except for the intention.

Jolla tablet: Rather scant on details, some of them were changing along the way. Clearly not very well planned. Hardly any communication. But, unlike Ubuntu Edge, there at least seems to be the intention to deliver. Sometimes. Maybe.
well, we were talking about countires and contributors ...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

As far as we know the whole Tablet / 2.0 thing was cobbled together in well under 2 months (more like 5-6 weeks) and then launched on Indiegogo .. nothing about it was well planned, and nothing since suggests that it became well planned.

The hardware is a reference platform that's almost indistinguishable from similar tablets (like the Nokia one). Differences are cosmetic. They're not creating their own platform, and 99% of components won't have changed or would be extremely minor revisions from pre-Indiegogo launch.

Now that the software (or maybe still hardware adaption) isn't there, we have the silence and the disappearance of the developer device loan programme.

Jolla have proved themselves to be anything but "agile" when it comes to keeping things on track, updating important facets of their OS and informing their users and interested parties about what's going on.

First sighting of the tablet since MWC (4 months this week) was in the photo from that Chinese article published yesterday.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
well, we were talking about countires and contributors ...
I covered those in my post:

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Ubuntu Edge: ...transparent on every step along the way...

Jolla tablet: ...Hardly any communication...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Casanunda View Post
let's say... sometimes. There are quite a few ”sailors” on tjc, but they have some strange way of deciding which questions to answer.
Usually they are really helpful with technical questions.
They don't like to answer questions about roadmaps or their plans for the future, though.
perfect example is the thread about paid apps support - it was started by a Jolla employee, has become one of the
most popular questions - and then it took almost two years [EDIT: 15 months, I was exaggerating a bit... /Edit] until cybette posted the next “semi-official“ comment - basically saying “we are doing something, but I can't tell you what and when it will be done”...
Well, then that post was of waste of time!

We simply need to vote more or add more comments. They can't ignore us forever since it might backfire...right in their face.

We need the:

Atleast Dirk found a jolla that is alive. Thanks to lekku for caring and answer about loan program...and to Dirk for asking.

dirkvanleersum on June 25, 2015 at 1:31 pm
Still starting ‘soon’?

Iekku Pylkkä on June 26, 2015 at 3:20 pm
"As we earlier communicated [0] we have had a bumpy road with the display development for the Jolla Tablet. As we see the display is one of the most crucial quality factors of the product we want to take this with extra care. The integration challenges continue with the display, which will impact the developer device program device sending schedule. We are working together with our ODM to solve this and hope to start the program soon!
[0] https://blog.jolla.com/jolla-iteration-4/"

I think its safe to say we still got an issue with the screen. Let's speculate while waiting for info

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-06-30 at 18:46.

Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
As far as we know the whole Tablet / 2.0 thing was cobbled together in well under 2 months (more like 5-6 weeks) and then launched on Indiegogo .. nothing about it was well planned, and nothing since suggests that it became well planned.
And source for this information is... where?

Now that the software (or maybe still hardware adaption) isn't there, we have the silence and the disappearance of the developer device loan programme.
Delay is not disappearance.

Jolla have proved themselves to be anything but "agile" when it comes to keeping things on track, updating important facets of their OS and informing their users and interested parties about what's going on.
Looking at the pace and amount of updates, I'd count them to be agile compared to just about anyone else. But surely I've been wondering for some time now if any attempt for openness is just waste of resources as nothing will ever be enough for everybody and responses are more or less hostile and poisonous.

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Finland
It's now pretty clear that the timetable has shifted about one month forward from July. Another option is to ditch the whole dev loan program and start shipping as early as possible (in the end of July) for customers. But as I wrote earlier, I have a feeling that it's not gonna happen.

JulmaHerra: source is here: https://blog.jolla.com/jolla-tablet-...starting-soon/

Why ditch...Why not let everyone participate in Huge beta test phase...jolla should send a mail:

Do you want:
1. to paticipate in beta test and we aim to ship july?
2. do you want to wait for stable?

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-06-30 at 19:30.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Delay is not disappearance.
Delay is not, but lack of any communication especially on that matter
P.S Do you remember PR before they asked for money? Btw there are PR people there and communication chief, so it would not take time from developers if you want to tell me about "small resources".
One of co-founders even had time for TED talks

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund