Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
well...at the time apple was nothing like nokia and it was nothing compared to the boost of the smartphone segment kicking off big time...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I wonder what company next will he destroy. Boston Chicken, Macromedia and Nokia were all his victims.

Wherever he lands, if I have stock in that company, I'm selling it immediately.
Sell it? I think I'd short it!

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Too bad. When he jumped off the "Burning Platform" someone should have handed him a golden brick instead of a golden parachute

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
well...at the time apple was nothing like nokia and it was nothing compared to the boost of the smartphone segment kicking off big time...
Hmm. Let's see... In the early 90's, Apple had:

* The Apple ][+ line of personal computers, running Apple DOS. Once the most popular brand of PC, but now out of date mainly due to the aging non-graphical UI.
* The fresh new Mac line of computers, with an OS that featured a beautiful new GUI.
* PC hardware manufactured specifically to run these OSs; there were never any authorized Apple "clones".
* A large (but quickly dwindling) reserve of cash, and a large (but quickly dwindling) share of the market.

What they were up against:
* A company that produced only an OS, and licensed it out to hardware manufacturers.
* Competing hardware that was both cheaper and more powerful than the devices Apple could produce.

Sounds awfully similar to me. The only difference here being that Nokia would also have had to compete with Apple's boutique iPhone, as well as Google's commoditized Android.

But yeah, the thing here is that Apple chose to compete in the face of adversity, rather than capitulate...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
well. If you think it was a simular situation. feel free to do so. I dont. its not even relevent to the thread or discussion .

also. apple is one one of a kind...just imagine how many that fails to turn a sinking ship back surface and fly it to moon. must be 1 in a billion to do an apple

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Hmm. I seem to recall a similar situation in the '90s, when a popular maker of consumer electronics was facing total destruction against a rising competitor. They had a similar combination of a popular but graying line of products, and a newer, flashier, but (at that point) uncompetitive line. Their choice?

They went with option #1. For years (at least five years, I would say) they held the line, and indeed bled money and laid off lots of folks. They dropped the old line of products and doubled down on the new one, experimenting with many different (and ultimately failed) permutations, until finally they were able to hire a manager who turned things around.

This company, of course, was Apple...
I was reading this and all the way up to the bold line, I thought you were talking about Commodore.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I wonder what company next will he destroy. Boston Chicken, Macromedia and Nokia were all his victims.

Wherever he lands, if I have stock in that company, I'm selling it immediately.
It's a real pity he didn't get the top job at Microsoft.

Nadella is not exhibiting any of Elop's special skills so far.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
It's a real pity he didn't get the top job at Microsoft.

Nadella is not exhibiting any of Elop's special skills so far.
Nah, he should definitely go to google.

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I was reading this and all the way up to the bold line, I thought you were talking about Commodore.
True. Unfortunately, Commodore did not manage to turn things around. I think they did a better job trying to hang on than Atari did, but yeah, I guess sometimes just having the spirit to compete isn't enough.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
“The higher up you go the more mistakes you’re allowed. Right at the top, if you make enough of them, it’s considered your style.” - Fred Astaire

The above applies to CEOs as much as it does to dancers.

I'm CEOing in the rain,
Just CEOing in the rain,
What a glorious feeling,
I can destroy a company, again.

No matter what mistakes I make,
I get a golden handshake,
I'm CEOing, CEOing in the rain.

My website

GitHub

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:

Tags
poetic justice, stephen elop