Active Topics

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Yeah, happened to me a few weeks ago. I restarted wifi (tap twice in settings, it was as simple as that, before u10) and voila... Jolla could see more AP's than my friend's ipad. Definitely a bug.
It came straight out of Flight mode when this issue showed, I disabled renabled Wifi to no avail.

on first retry it gave me:

hidden network
name of uninteresting access point
hidden network

next trial:

hidden network
hidden network
hidden network

I know these restart x and try again methods but it dit not work (fast) enough this time.

Possible there WERE exctly 3 hidden networks and Jolla decided to show only those. But it did not help my case: quickly check email via airport wifi.

IMO, we can help best help Jolla be showing marginal tolerance for these user experience breaking bugs.

Name:  15994985650_086d4fdade_k.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  27.4 KB

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
IMO, we can help best help Jolla be showing marginal tolerance for these user experience breaking bugs.
Perhaps it would help adding an optional reporting tool that automatically sends to Jolla/Sailfish community specific errors. I'm sure that there must have been some anomalies in the journal.

I don't see how having normal users walking up and down Jolla's office would help, as -in this case- I reckon wireless scanning/reception would work like a charm For other things like user experience related frustrations, however, you're right.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
I rescanned WIFI several times, no improvement on the Jolla. So no work could be done had I relied solely on the Jolla.
Did you try to swype the list? It's only a few weeks back that I discovered I could do this and see others AP's, if there are any.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Jordi View Post
Did you try to swype the list? It's only a few weeks back that I discovered I could do this and see others AP's, if there are any.
Thanks for the tip, Jordi.

I know that the AP point list is up and down scrollable or swypable if you like.
It would help if Jolla would indicate the scroll bar whenever the AP list can't be fully displayed (more than 3).

I found only 3.

You can see on the image that my N900 only discovered 3 as it could display another one beneath but didn't.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
A scroll bar? That would be far too sensible (or not enough "unlike" if you wish).

Regarding the real users roaming the corridors of Jolla... While I like the idea very much - as a software engineer, I firmly believe in a clear separation of design, development and testing - I very much doubt it would make a smidgen of difference

There are already lots of Jolla users roaming lots of corridors worldwide. These users report their issues, suggestions and burning desires daily, both on TJC and here. And what is Jolla's response to them? First they ignore them and spend five months upgrading QT, then they ignore them again and spend another five months building the tablet. Both commendable efforts in theory but... it's like building a house extention instead of fixing the broken windows and a leaky roof first.

In short, Jolla listening to real users' feedback? Nah!

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
@ste-phan
I guess those other AP's are ad-hoc mode networks? You won't find any recent mobile device that will find those.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
A scroll bar? That would be far too sensible (or not enough "unlike" if you wish).

Regarding the real users roaming the corridors of Jolla... While I like the idea very much - as a software engineer, I firmly believe in a clear separation of design, development and testing - I very much doubt it would make a smidgen of difference

There are already lots of Jolla users roaming lots of corridors worldwide. These users report their issues, suggestions and burning desires daily, both on TJC and here. And what is Jolla's response to them? First they ignore them and spend five months upgrading QT, then they ignore them again and spend another five months building the tablet. Both commendable efforts in theory but... it's like building a house extention instead of fixing the broken windows and a leaky roof first.

In short, Jolla listening to real users' feedback? Nah!
Sorry but you call this 'constructive criticism'? Or 'looking to ignite another round of flame wars on the third day of the new year'?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 243kof For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by 243kof View Post
Sorry but you call this 'constructive criticism'? Or 'looking to ignite another round of flame wars on the third day of the new year'?
Actually, yes. For the slow on the uptake, here is the constructive gist: "Jolla, please fix existing bugs first before spending time and effort on upgrades and new products."

Admittedly, I could have chosen more diplomatic words.

EDIT:
Lack of the knack for diplomacy is my weakness and I am fully aware of it. I cannot promise I will do better the next time but I can promise I will try. Please do not assume any malicious intent in my posts if I fail again.

Last edited by pichlo; 2015-01-03 at 19:24.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
"Jolla, please fix existing bugs first before spending time and effort on upgrades and new products."
But they are fixing bugs. In fact, the last update is the one in which they allegedly fixed the highest number of bugs, and those are reported in the release note they produce. It all seems slow, but they are ~100 people, what do you expect?

OTOH, you can't spend 100% of your resources fixing bugs only, you'll end up with a perfect platform which is massively outdated, and there is no platform out there which is perfect, and yet their sponsors do spend a lot of their resources in new features.

Moreover, a lot of Sailfish is open source, so a lot of bugs could be tackled by the community.

IMO it isn't constructive criticism to say "stop doing X and do Y because I think it's best". There is no scientific proof that says that fixing defects before producing new features is the right way forward, and I'm sure everybody does what they think is best, and this applies not only to Jolla.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
But they are fixing bugs. In fact, the last update is the one in which they allegedly fixed the highest number of bugs, and those are reported in the release note they produce. It all seems slow, but they are ~100 people, what do you expect?
I feel like facts are unfortunately unimportant in this discussion. When I saw the comment I also wanted to reply by showing how many of the bugs I reported were fixed and how releasing new products is vital for a company... And how upgrading to the new Qt release is crucial for future native app development (new stable APIs)...

But then I realized that presenting facts won't stop such comment from appearing again next week/month, so it is just better to check the fixed bugs counter for yourself and let the person figure it out for themself as well. At some places on the Internet, it is called 'not feeding the troll' ( ), but in this case it is most likely just confusion, not trolling per se.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience