The top 3 choices
- Samsung NOTE 4 (money is no object - $750)
- iPhone 6 (best support/longevity - $800)
- Sharp Aquos Crystal (best budget phone - $150)

P.S.

As a side note, what smartphone do you guys think should come before the Palm Treo 90 ???

Were there even smartphones before it? Would you even consider them as smart phones?

Or would you call the Palm Treo 90... the gran-daddy of smart-phone/devices?

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2014-12-21 at 23:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
P.S.

As a side note, what smartphone do you guys think should come before the Palm Treo 90 ???

Were there even smartphones before it? Would you even consider them as smart phones?

Or would you call the Palm Treo 90... the gran-daddy of smart-phone/devices?
Nokia Communicator - 1996 ... Treo 90 was 2002!

The Following User Says Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
1. Nokia N900 - daily driver;
2. Nokia N950 - will be incredibly difficult to repair if something breaks in it;
3. BlackBerry Passport (capacitive keyboard, great camera) - great hardware, but the locked (unless I'm mistaken?) bootloader locks me out;
4. Yotaphone 2 (the e-ink screen is an interesting approach) - but only if it is possible to get Sailfish-or-Nemo onto it, instead of Android. If they get a model 3 with qwerty hardware keyboard, it will be even more interesting.

Also, can somebody tell me which of these devices do separate modem from mainboard, and which of them do allow "malicious modem" to possibly take control over whole system? It's said that most smartphones are vulnerable to baseband-processor-attack; including BlackBerries and Cryptophone (Galaxy S3?).

So far, the only phones which were heard by me to be secure from "malicious modem" (or "weak modem" controlled by "malicious tower"; not much difference, for end-user) are Blackphone and Neo900. If you can make the list longer, you are welcome.

Off-topic: Audioscope is able to pick up a quiet conversation amidst noisy football game.

Best wishes.

[Council] Q4 2014 Community Council Election Announcement

http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature <= copy and paste here

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94229

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1450445

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Council/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
1. Jolla
2. Nokia N900
3. Nokia N9

And if I could add one more it might be the N950, however it's too buggy to use as a daily driver. Also there's many Android slider phones (like Droid 4 and Photon Q) which despite being a couple of years old still wood do great with SailfishOS.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
There were no new phones this year AFAIK.

All the relavant devices were introduces 2013 or earlier. I hope there will be something new next year, or maybe 2016.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
There were no new phones this year AFAIK.

All the relavant devices were introduces 2013 or earlier. I hope there will be something new next year, or maybe 2016.
You mean, in terms of developing on?

Then I guess you're excluding the OnePlus One for Android development. And the iPhone 6/6+ for jailbreak and chrooting. And perhaps the BB Z30 for developing, well, alot of things (although released late '13, wasn't really available until '14).

I guess you're just gonna have to wait for the Jolla Tablet to release in 2015.
Are you a backer?

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
In all honesty there was nothing exciting out this year and unfortunately it doesn't look like that will change in the near future.

iPhone 6 - iOS support, speed and lovely feeling hardware.
OnePlus One/Xiaomi Xi4 - The Chinese are coming, and they are showing us all what's the new price of a high quality flagship phone. Soon to be commodity product, if nobody comes with something different.

Special mention to Xperia Z3 Compact. Close, but still not quite nailing the high end material, hardware and price combined with smaller size.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
You mean, in terms of developing on?

Then I guess you're excluding the OnePlus One for Android development. And the iPhone 6/6+ for jailbreak and chrooting. And perhaps the BB Z30 for developing, well, alot of things (although released late '13, wasn't really available until '14).
True. I exclude win/ios/android/bb devices since there is no use for me with ay of those.

I guess you're just gonna have to wait for the Jolla Tablet to release in 2015.
Are you a backer?
Yes, waiting for that. And Neo900 of course

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
True. I exclude win/ios/android/bb devices since there is no use for me with ay of those.
What about Firefox OS? Maybe the Geeksphone Revolution (which really should've been in my top 3, but I completely forgot about it).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to From Vertu with Love For This Useful Post:
1. Nokia N955 (made using N9 phone, Lumia 800 rubber hardcase and iPhone 5 BT keyboard)
2. Nokia N900 (I'm writing this post via Opera Mobile 12.10)
3. Nokia 808 PV (still, the best camera)

And I hope one day I will find a cheap Jolla Phone bundled with TOHKBDv2 to be able to test it and change the first three places.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mir57 For This Useful Post: