Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
I'm not against criticism, but it has to have a serious foundation.
Life is serious... Jolla, TMO and WWW is a play ground don't let stuff get to you.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
You are clearly thinking in the wrong dimesnions. SailfishOS can never compete with Android or iOS, or even Windows phone / BBOS for years. They are serving a small niche that want something different and not the same stuff as all others do. That niche seems to grow a bit lately, as people get bored with same stuff in different clothes since years.

This is a small 120+ people company doing an OS, phone and tablet, marketing, sales, lawyers, etc. It's insane if you ever compare it to other big grown OS'es with multi national corporations behind them and hundreds of smaller companys supporting them / codeveloping.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
And about updates. It's funny how people here said that Jolla releasing so many updates, but never pay attention what kind of updates are those.
Say this words in front of a mirror.

Pleople here know very well the details about each Sailfish update. As Jolla really the details of each upgrade.

Most of the time after the phone release the OS state was beta, so surely they had to make updates to get out of beta(in my opinion it's still way beta, but they say different). And most updates are bug fixes and we still have a lot of bugs (netwrok problems from first day till now FFS).
Well :
- all OS (incluing desktop OS and mobile OS) updates have a large number of bug fixes, and a smaller number of new features. Any large software project has these features, so that there are even updates which are only bug fix updates, taking months to be concluded. If this is strange for you, you seem to don't know anything about large software projects with hundreds or thousands of thousands of source lines do code. I recommend to subscribe to some large open source project mail list and see the work of hundreds of developers to release a "simple" bug fix release after 1-3 months of work;
- if you say Sailfish OS is a beta mobile OS, then I also can say that Android 5 & iOS 8 are also beta mobile OS, as they don't have the features I want, which where available in some mobile OS 12-16 years ago;
- Sailfish OS has many features Android, iOS, WP, etc, don't have at all. If you want to ignore them, it is your right to do so.

And yet with telling how many updates they are making every month and a lot of noise about it we had 8 public updates in more than 2 years now.
Well, you even don't know how to count... There are 10 Sailfish updates since 09/12/2013, i.e., 10 updates in 12 months, well above any other mobile OS. I have all of them, relese number, date, and change log file.

In long term you need to respect your customer and do not start thousand things you can't finish, so you can tell us later "but we are small group of people". We already got it, but did you get that if you don't have enough resources, finish things you started before asking for more money on new projects you will never finish.
Respect like you "respect" Sailfish users here ???

If you care to read the change log of each release, you can see Jolla developers implementing a lot of new features, including some suggested by the community in TJC, including some features never seen in other mobile OS. Jolla also shows what the new Sailfish update will have in terms of features and bug fixes, with an estimated release. Yes, estimated, if you ever really know what is to develop a large software project, you should know how difficult it is to have certainty about an exactly release date.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 218 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ India
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
And there lies the major issue. Sailfish has to appeal to the masses for Jolla to succeed. At the moment it feels like a hobbyist experiment. I am not a programmer or app developer, I just wanted to support something that I saw was different and promised to communicate with its customers and be unlike.

Hey if you think this is trolling and poisonous fine. I think it is constructive criticism because I want to see Jolla succeed and someone has to be able to say the "Emporer is wearing no clothes".
Exactly what I wanted to say! I am not against Jolla. Like bockersjv, I am not not a programmer or app developer, I just wanted to support something that I saw was different. I tried my best and got a used Jolla from someone in Finland in February, way before it was officially launched in India paying almost three times what it cost when it was officially launched. ONLY BECAUSE I FELT IT WAS A GAME CHANGER!! Any feature comparisons with other phones I dealt with saying that it was only time before Jolla had a better way of implementing it! And I am still mocked at when I have call drops, and believe me people, I DO HAVE CALL DROPS and RESTARTS when the signal strength is not strong. I opted in for Uitukka believing that it would resolve all the issues, but that was not to be. I am still hopeful that the nest update would resolve things, but the way it is getting postponed, I am becoming tired of it!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meet.vino For This Useful Post:
meet.vino try the paper battery trick and clean your battery contacts. Since I added the paper it's very stable. I never had a single call drop and I'm a first one customer. so first batch of devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Morpog, I did that a long time ago and the restarts reduced drastically for a couple of months. But after updating to Uitukka, its started again. Just imagine you having you Jolla in your pant pockets, u can hear the phone ring, and before you can take it out, the ring stops and you find your phone restarting. Now imagine the same thing happening with a few colleagues of yours, especially those who have been mocking you for buying a phone they haven't heard of yet. Another chance for them to take a dig at you!! Can you now feel my frustration?!! And to rub salt into my wounds, I tried putting my phone on silent mode, the vibrator wont work. Now before you tell me to enable heptic feedback, I have it turned on!

I am not a HATER! I want Jolla to succeed, all I ask is give me a solid product before you plan for the next one.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to meet.vino For This Useful Post:
I feel the phone has been ditched in favour of the tablet and monthly updates are now nearly half yearly.
Seriously ?!?!? Why don't you :
- read the Jolla's statements about Sailfish is an unique mobile OS, so Sailfish OS 2.0 will be for smartphone and tablet ?
- read that Jolla work is 90% in software development ?
- count that there were 2-4 (2 large updates, 2 bug/hotfix updates) Sailfish updates since July ? 5.38 months / 2 = 2.69 months between updates, 5.38 months / 4 = 1.35 , both numbers well below 6 months between updates ?

What I so unlike now?
You, I know, but I write because otherwise somebody will read your words and think Sailfish is just some Android variant. Sailfish/Jolla is unlike because :
- it has live miniature views of 4/9 (covers in home screen) running sotwares, like Maemo 5, MeeGo Harmattan, unlike Android, iOS, WP, etc;
- it has many desktop Linux features, like shell (bash, etc), GNU utilities, repositories and dependencies (so libraries and softwares are reused by other softwares), many programming languages (C/C++, Python, etc, which you can use on device), Terminal, etc, without any need of third-party software, unlike Android, iOS, WP, etc;
- it was the first mobile OS to have Qt 5, Qt Quick 2, Wayland, and it continues to be so, unlike Android, iOS, WP, etc;
- it supports Jolla Other Half covers, with in/out electrical connections (I2C communication, etc), totally unlike Android, iOS, WP, etc;
- etc.
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2014-12-12 at 20:13.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
You are clearly thinking in the wrong dimesnions. SailfishOS can never compete with Android or iOS, or even Windows phone / BBOS for years. They are serving a small niche that want something different and not the same stuff as all others do. That niche seems to grow a bit lately, as people get bored with same stuff in different clothes since years.

This is a small 120+ people company doing an OS, phone and tablet, marketing, sales, lawyers, etc. It's insane if you ever compare it to other big grown OS'es with multi national corporations behind them and hundreds of smaller companys supporting them / codeveloping.
Thank you. With that post you have convinced me, and probably a few other non developer/technical users, that we are clearly in the wrong place.

I had hopes and expectations which you have well and truly crushed. I am unworthy to drink at the Jolla alter as I am not technical enough and will return to the product for the masses.

I will take away with me a fantastic couple days in Helsinki, some great people who made owning an N9 and N900 such a great club and the realisation that I should not mess with small start ups.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
I disagree. Jolla focus is not to reach a niche user base at all.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Seriously ?!?!? Why don't you :
- read the Jolla's statements about Sailfish is an unique mobile OS, so Sailfish OS 2.0 will be for smartphone and tablet ?
- read that Jolla work is 90% in software development ?
- count that there were 2-4 (2 large updates, 2 bug/hotfix updates) Sailfish updates since July ? 5.38 months / 2 = 2.69 months between updates, 5.38 months / 4 = 1.35 , both numbers well below 6 months between updates ?

You, I know, but I write because otherwise somebody will read your words and think Sailfish is just some Android variant. Sailfish/Jolla is unlike because :
- it has live miniature views of 4/9 (covers in home screen) of running sotwares, like Maemo 5, MeeGo Harmattan, unlike Android, iOS, WP, etc;
- it has many desktop Linux features, like shell (bash, etc), GNU utilities, repositories and dependencies (so libraries and softwares are reused by other softwares), many programming languages (C/C++, Python, etc, which you can use on device), Terminal, etc, without any need of third-party software, unlike Android, iOS, WP, etc;
- it was the first mobile OS to have Qt 5, Qt Quick 2, Wayland, and it continues to be so, unlike Android, iOS, WP, etc;
- it supports Jolla Other Half covers, with in/out electrical connections (I2C communication, etc), totally unlike Android, iOS, WP, etc;
- etc.
Does it mean that it is only for geeks and not for common man who want to use the phone mostly for calling, taking pictures, may be listen to a few songs and browse the internet?

Of all the things mentioned here, only taking pictures and listening to songs is something I would say is fine. Call drops is an ugly thing (may be only a few unlucky ones like me experience going by so many being surprised that it is happening) and browsing the internet is something most would agree is not an experience you could truly be satisfied with.

So what good is a phone to a layman with all the " desktop Linux features, like shell (bash, etc), GNU utilities, repositories and dependencies (so libraries and softwares are reused by other softwares), many programming languages (C/C++, Python, etc, which you can use on device), Terminal, etc, without any need of third-party software, unlike Android, iOS, WP, etc;
- it supports Jolla Other Half covers, with in/out electrical connections (I2C communication, etc), totally unlike Android, iOS, WP, etc;" if it doesn't do what a basic phone is supposed to do?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meet.vino For This Useful Post: