Anybody seen this? I'm loving the LID module. Think it will be more or about the same as the OQO?

http://www.flipstartpc.com/default.asp

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Not available yet. Site has been like that for at least a year. I wouldn't be too excited about that product until they release pricing and availability. It's a bit on the heavy side weighting 450g. That's almost half the weight of a light laptop. Also, it will probably cost quite much.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Here it is reviewed:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070322/tech_...tart.html?.v=1

Reminds me of some 770 and N800 reviews.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Here it is reviewed:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070322/tech_...tart.html?.v=1

Reminds me of some 770 and N800 reviews.
I have always stated that thumbboards are the worst possible devices for entering anything more than a few characters: It's not possible to learn to type blind, you can never use more than two fingers (even on the Psion Series 3a's keyboard I could type semi-blind with four fingers) and the ergonomics are such that Satan might use them in a special section of Hell.

The N800's virtual thumbboard is marginally better, but only because the screen is so small and so near to the keys that you don't immediately notice you're not typing blind. But let's not kid ourselves too much: it too is crap.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
Too many dollars... not enough sense.

Smaller screen, heavier, more expensive, less ports. Can't see why anyone would want one.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
Comparied to other UMPCs of course.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
That review does seem annoyingly familiar - the reviewer makes a petty complaint about the mouse overshooting but thats quite possibly the reviewers problem (a lack of practice on a small screen/sensitive mouse) and nothing to do with the device per se.

I would agree the FlipStart is large, heavy and outrageously expensive - but it's remarkably small for what it is, a fully functional PC. Unfortunately as with all UMPCs so far, they're compromised in too many ways and suitable only for niche requirements.

I personally don't see a need for UMPCs, but that argument has also been aimed at Internet Tablets which makes me think that unless you have a "need" for this type of device then it's generally considered utterly worthless. And if a reviewer has no "need" for this type of device then bad reviews will follow - this does suggest a lack of objectivity/imagination on the part of the reviewers, which I think is true judging by most Internet Tablet reviews (and not helped by pre-release firmware!)

Tip for the next Nokia Internet Tablet - a docking station providing external VGA output and USB connectivity (for keyboard and mouse).

When at home or in the office, drop your Internet Tablet into the docking station and gain access to an external VGA 1200x1024 resolution display with full keyboard+mouse over USB (and also battery charging!)

Pick up the tablet from the docking station and use it when on the move.

It would knock the UMPC into a cocked hat!

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
Actually, Milhouse, no docking port is needed. Someone only needs to build or code a driver for one of the USB to VGA boxes available. Have your monitor, keyboard, and mouse connected to a USB hub and just plug in the hub. There was some discussion of this on another thread. I don't know whether it has gone anywhere.

BL

True, it can probably all be done by USB (including charging!) but having a purpose designed Nokia docking station that makes available "real" IO ports (VGA or DVI, full-size USB, audio out, possibly even wired ethernet and PS/2) would be very nice. But just a dream.

No matter how it is implemented, it would be nice to see a Nokia supported device (either USB to VGA with drivers, or full blown docking station) that would then allow the Internet Tablet to be marketed as both a mobile and (admittedly limited) desktop replacement platform.