Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
perhaps Dirk could manage an arrangement with Lastucase to get two different plates
It would allow everybody to have the final result they want
This i will not do, we already have 2400+ different combinations.

Again: this was just passing an idea by you guys to gauge the situation. I've heard a lot of good stuff and funded opinions, and have some material to work with again.

Last edited by dirkvl; 2014-11-11 at 18:01. Reason: Edit: 10*10*4*6=2400

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
People who want to hide magnets, why not just getting a thinner design and sticking a 0.75 mm lastucase plate (or anything else) on it?
It's not a bad idea, but...
  1. Lastucase doesn't sell such case without holes for camera, so it would have to be a custom-made case.
  2. Paying additional 25EUR + shipping for the TOHKBD to look like it was originally announced on the Kickstarter campaign doesn't sound like a good deal.

Anyways, the reason why I liked the wooden back on TOHKBD was that I was previously thinking about buying a Lastucase plate and this meant I don't have to. In my opinion, the wooden back was bringing a 'clean look' to the keyboard - without the clean look, I don't really care for Lastucase anymore.
IMHO:
Original look > No wooden back at all > Wooden back with cut-outs

PS: I know it's early to say that it's ugly - it can look good (and I'm looking forward to some renders), but I just can't imagine it right now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
It's not a bad idea, but...
  1. Lastucase doesn't sell such case without holes for camera, so it would have to be a custom-made case.
  2. Paying additional 25EUR + shipping for the TOHKBD to look like it was originally announced on the Kickstarter campaign doesn't sound like a good deal.

Anyways, the reason why I liked the wooden back on TOHKBD was that I was previously thinking about buying a Lastucase plate and this meant I don't have to. In my opinion, the wooden back was bringing a 'clean look' to the keyboard - without the clean look, I don't really care for Lastucase anymore.
IMHO:

PS: I know it's early to say that it's ugly - it can look good (and I'm looking forward to some renders), but I just can't imagine it right now.
ok, also noted.

tomorrow probably new ugly drawing, shitty renders and terrible ideas.

(waiting on lots of test-parts, equipment, quotes on parts etc. got to keep myself busy.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
the reason why I liked the wooden back on TOHKBD was that I was previously thinking about buying a Lastucase plate and this meant I don't have to. In my opinion, the wooden back was bringing a 'clean look' to the keyboard - without the clean look, I don't really care for Lastucase anymore.
IMHO:
The lastucase plate is ugly for some people, but still useful because it's the thinnest way to cover the PCB. I think the way choices were prioritized so far (increase "usability" and feeling) should be conserved as it's the best way to improve the experience. Experience > aesthetics (even though I still think aesthetics count when the final product is too awkward to be used in public).

Just paint the magnets in black then, or draw two eyes on them and a smile on the lastucase plate. You'll get a tohkbd2 smiling because it gained 0.9 mm.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2014-11-11 at 17:36.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
Yes that is a stupid idea. That will NOT last.
(category: things I have already thought of. very shortly.)
An epoxy adhesive like Scotch-Weld 2216 will definitely last. It makes a flexible and very strong bond. Used on the Space Shuttle :P

But as I said; if you don't like the idea, I put my vote on making it thinner. Possibly with a *very* thin metallic shield (e.g. mu-metal) to block the magnetic field on the bottom.

The Following User Says Thank You to Henque19 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Henque19 View Post
An epoxy adhesive like Scotch-Weld 2216 will definitely last.
yes, but the material it is attached to won't!

Originally Posted by Henque19 View Post
Possibly with a *very* thin metallic shield (e.g. mu-metal) to block the magnetic field on the bottom.
that is easier said than done. you are quick on the draw with a wiki reference, but find me a supplier that makes custom mumetal pieces for a reasonable price

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Sweden
that is easier said than done. you are quick on the draw with a wiki reference, but find me a supplier that makes custom mumetal pieces for a reasonable price
Here's a self-adhesive sheet supplier, and then use a punch to cut magnet sized pieces.

Possibly too much manual labour (several sheets can be cut at once, so should still be reasonably quick to do), but worth investigating imho.

EDIT: Just trying to help, but let me know if I'm getting on your nerves

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Henque19 For This Useful Post:
Injection molding is possible if we far exceed the goal
So... How far exactly?

Originally Posted by meverik View Post
i agree with nodevel. although 1mm thickness reduce is much but i would prever to get my TOHKBD with a backplate without holes.
I also think that thicker one would be better.

Originally Posted by salamisami View Post
So... How far exactly?
use search function in thread looking for 'injection':

way over 1000. I would love to have a desktop injection molder here and make parts with epoxy molds! But I do not have one, nor the experience, nor the money. And even if I had, I cannot guarantee the resulting part has the required quality and strength.

With the current way we get -in my opinion- a very nice part with -in my opinion- a nice subtle grainy finish, that can be reordered in the future by me or anyone else (#opensource) in case of damage or if someone want another colour.

The Following User Says Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd