Active Topics

Notices

Copernicus, you echo my thoughts exactly. Not having an IR receiver and currently being too cheap and busy to buy a receiver and learn to "learn" the codes, I guess I'll just stick with the remote that came with the TV.

The Following User Says Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Belgrade, Serbia
Great app @Copernicus kudos, really great job. Pierogi just work with all devices at home, just one TV resist - Bang&Olufsen TV set. Any hint where to look for solution?

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
If I would change something, it would be color of Pierog (singular) there - from artificial yellow to more natural-looking, edible one.
Will do! Or, at least I'll give it a try -- I'm amazed at how easy it is to create these vector images, but I'm really no artist.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by uros View Post
just one TV resist - Bang&Olufsen TV set. Any hint where to look for solution?
Ah, Bang & Olufsen -- I've always wanted to test if the N900 could actually handle one of those. With B&O, the key is the carrier frequency: basically, every manufacturer working with CIR devices has chosen to send their data at a frequency of around 38 kilohertz (or, sometimes, around 56 kilohertz); for various reasons, those speeds could be reached by common and inexpensive electronics components. But B&O (and nobody else, so far as I know), decided to use a carrier frequency of 455 kilohertz in their remote controls.

Technically, it is possible to set the N900's IR carrier frequency all the way up to 500 kilohertz (or, at least, that's what the device driver will accept); but I've never tried it against a real device. Also, there are just very few config files available; I've got one for a "Beo4" remote, which has some TV controls -- let me try to add it in, and see what happens...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Belgrade, Serbia
Good news for frequency issue, I have Beo4 too, well, lets play

The Following User Says Thank You to uros For This Useful Post:
Well, I've gotta say, I'm learning a lot from the effort to port to Android. For one thing, while the tabbed-panel interface is just barely workable in landscape mode, it is completely useless in portrait (which is what I need on all current Android devices with IR). I can barely get three tabs on the screen at once. The Android UI itself has a wonderful finger-flickable tab interface, but Qt doesn't yet have access to it. It's exactly what I want; in fact, it looks more like just a horizontal list of labels than a set of tabs. Which got me thinking: "Wait. A horizontal list?"

I checked, and yes, the Qt List Widget can work horizontally as well as vertically. For some reason, I never even thought about that before; last year, I had tried things like attaching a combo box to stacked widget to construct my own pseudo-tab-widget, but it never really worked. In fact, I still had all that code mothballed, so I just swapped out the combo box with a horizontal list widget, and voila, scrolling tabs just as nice as anything Android can provide!

Now, this is using Qt 5; but I checked Qt 4.8, and pretty much everything I needed was there as well (although, in a slightly rougher form). It took a little bit of effort, but double voila, scrolling tabs on the N900! And not just scrolling tabs, finger-flickable scrolling tabs. I'll append a screenshot to this post. Basically, if you need to move the tab bar to get to the tab you need, just drag your finger across it to pull it one way or the other.

What this really means is that I'm no longer restricted to just 5 or 6 panels in a set! To start with, I've gone ahead and added the "Input" and "Adjust" panels to the default set. This means that I no longer have to try and squeeze the input selector into the Utility panel, so I've put that guy back to his good old 3-row self. (I've also gone ahead and added some common input buttons to the input panel; the top row has a few devices, and the second row has a few connection formats.)

So, Pierogi 1.1.33 has been pushed up to extras-devel, containing these changes. Please tell me what you think. (One more thing I should note -- I've used some Qt stylesheets to make the list of tabs look more like a tab bar should; but I don't know if that will interfere with custom N900 themes. If you've got a custom theme, and are having problems with this version of Pierogi, please let me know.)

Oh, BTW, on Bang & Olufsen -- this is going to take some effort. These guys have come up with a protocol that is totally their own. For one thing, they use a trinary number system, rather than binary -- they have values for "0", "1", and "Same as the previous bit". For some reason, you aren't allowed to send two consecutive "0" or "1" bits; so, if you want to send the number 12 (binary 1100), you'd send "1", "Same as the last bit", "0", "Same as the last bit".

Also, they have at least 4 different ways of repeating a command. And an entirely novel way of switching a remote control between different keysets (which I'm still trying to wrap my head around). Getting a keyset up and running for them is going to be fun...
Attached Images

Last edited by Copernicus; 2014-04-27 at 05:46.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
I like the new tab bar, very slick.

One small issue though, drag your finger across it and when lifted another tab is highlighted but not selected. not a big issue but could confuse some if done accidentally.

is it possible to put panel filter in the actual remote definition? would prevent tv controls being displayed instead of audio receiver when switching remote.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
One small issue though, drag your finger across it and when lifted another tab is highlighted but not selected. not a big issue but could confuse some if done accidentally.
Drat! I thought sure I had fixed that problem. (It was happening for me as well, until I changed the signal I was looking for from "currentRowChanged()" to "itemActivated()".) Can I ask, does this happen to you if, for example, you go to "Select Keyset" from the menu, and drag the list of keysets up and down? I'm using the same technique there...

is it possible to put panel filter in the actual remote definition? would prevent tv controls being displayed instead of audio receiver when switching remote.
I have been wanting to try something like that. It just requires that I do a bit more work. Up to now, my panel sets have been something I put together kind of informally; so, the link between a particular set and a particular sort of device is kind of abstract. I just need to write all that down in a form the N900 can understand.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
I can confirm that but it only happens on Panels with no scrollable tabs
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
I can confirm that but it only happens on Panels with no scrollable tabs
Oops, I didn't even think to test that. Thanks!

Tags
infrared, pasta, remote, remote control