Posts: 19 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Sileby, Leicester, UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Funny. In my case it's exactly the opposite. I might forgive a phone a capacitive screen as long as all other features outweigh the disadvantage.
It's probably not as bad as i think it is. But i remember hating the screen on my 5230, which was a 3.2 inch resistive screen, that was my first touch screen phone to. I hated that phone so much it almost made me never want to get a touchscreen phone again, but that could be down mostly to Symbian ^5 which was rubbish IMO. After that i got a N8, probably the best phone i ever had, I have a 808 Pureview now.

Maybe i should put my 5230 past behind me, I'm sure the N900 screen is fine, you don't have to press down hard to make it respond do you?

Last edited by dodgevipergts; 2014-04-06 at 14:23.

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by dodgevipergts View Post
... you don't have to press down hard to make it respond do you?
Not at all.... but getting a good n900 is the real challenge...

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by dodgevipergts View Post
I'm sure the N900 screen is fine, you don't have to press down hard to make it respond do you?
I don't have to press hard on mine. I've gotta admit, though, that I love the fact that you can use your fingernail rather than the pad of your finger (something that you can't do on a capacitive screen); it's a lot more accurate, and more comfortable. (Pressing my fingertips against a glass screen over and over again eventually becomes painful...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I love the fact that you can use your fingernail
Or the stylus. Don't forget the stylus. I love the fact that you can use the stylus. The lack of ability to use one is for me the main disadvantage of capacitive touch screens. They are like in the Hitch-hiker's Guide: you vaguely touch the screen in the approximate vicinity of where you want... and hope. Resistive screens are much more accurate.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Cheers everyone. If the resistive touch screen is good, then I'm much more likely to give the N900 a go as thats mostly what was holding me back. If theres one on ebay cheap maybe 60-70 quid.

Last edited by dodgevipergts; 2014-04-06 at 15:02.

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Indonesia
well..here my opinion,
i think using N900 as main gadget for today mobile computing are rather to late.
especially for web surfing. most of today web page using heavy scripting and tons of images.and that's are heavy to handle on it CPU and ram

but for me, this device just awesome i treats my N900 as my precious one and pray it will be life so long.
and just bought new battery coz the original battery was swollen

installing alot of applications, store my movies and musics collection in it. so far it still excellent for me. Last week i install Yappari it just awesome i don't need to bring my tablet anymore
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to supergaban For This Useful Post:
I just switched from the nexus 4 to a n900. the n900 is used from amazon, missing the stylus, and with a spare battery. cost $99.

the resistive touchscreen is much much better than what i had expected. it took me 5 minutes to learn how hard i needed to press.

the only things i miss from my last phone are nfc and 5ghz 11n.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvall For This Useful Post:
Posts: 207 | Thanked: 967 times | Joined on Apr 2014 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by tvall View Post
I just switched from the nexus 4 to a n900. the n900 is used from amazon, missing the stylus, and with a spare battery. cost $99.

the resistive touchscreen is much much better than what i had expected. it took me 5 minutes to learn how hard i needed to press.

the only things i miss from my last phone are nfc and 5ghz 11n.
Hi!

I've just bought one refurbished unit from some seller in Amazon. It's coming via Singapore post. I hope it will be arriving some day next week. I have faith on what I'm going to find on this device: physical keyboard, precise touchscreen and lots of thingies to play with (both in hardware: IR, FM transmitter and software: full-on Debian!).

The Following User Says Thank You to ceene For This Useful Post:
I see I'm not the only one who's thinking of switching (downgrading?) to a Nokia N900. What phone are you coming from ceene?

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Just give it a chance.

Touch is not comparable to 52xx/N97 (worst). I switch between N9 and N900 on-the-fly.

HW keyboard is the best.

OS is free and hackable.
It took me some time to getconvinced of N900 (used only S60 phones) but then I will never give it up.

Of course you should love Linux and like to tinker and live with some disadvantages (old HW and some app flaws like no MMS support).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature