Posts: 113 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Germany
I'm wondering what would happen if some one compresses the whole partition images and just upload them. It is quite normal for the android mobile world to distribute this qualcomm propritary ball anyway. Nobody seems to care for the moment.

Originally Posted by djselbeck View Post
I'm wondering what would happen if some one compresses the whole partition images and just upload them. It is quite normal for the android mobile world to distribute this qualcomm propritary ball anyway. Nobody seems to care for the moment.
Well my idea was that to "flash" the device, the program retrieves the binaries from the phone, builds an image, and then flashes.

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
javispedro: From that table it looks like Qualcomm is just "bad for freedom". It's a pity that their SoCs are becoming one of the most popular ones. May be next time Jolla should go with Intel already and get rid of all that ARM idiocy with no drivers and closed stuff.
did you ever ask yourself why, o why, NOKIA may have chosen to "throw away" all their hard Maemo work to start the MeeGo co-operation w/ Intel?!?

to those who come across this thread for the 1st time, see stskeeps' post #40
from... the horse's mouth ¦-))

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Hi,
i'd like to boot sailfish with my own modified kernel. I was able to build my kernel, i can boot to recovery thanks to this guide: https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Sailfish/Backup_Device

But i wonder how to boot sailfish with my kernel.

1/ can i boot to recovery, chroot to sailfish partition and launch init from there?

2/ how can i build my recovery image that boots to sailfish partition? I am mainly interested in getting contents of the ramdisk that sailfish is using.

Thanks

Radek

If you want to boot your own kernel you have to unlock your bootloader first. If you've done that you have 2 options:

* Boot kernel from usb with "fastboot boot boot.img"

* Flash kernel over usb with "fastboot flash boot boot.img"

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO BACKUP YOUR OLD BOOT PARTITON

The Following User Says Thank You to djselbeck For This Useful Post:
Ok, in the end it was quite easy and now i have jolla booted with my kernel. I dumped original boot partition with dd, extracted the resulting img using this help http://k.japko.eu/boot-img-manipulation.html

then rewrote zImage with my version and packed it with:

abootimg --create myboot.img -f bootimg.cfg -k zImage -r initrd.img

Booting it with

fastboot -i 0x2931 boot myboot.img

After fastboot finishes i unplug the cable so that the system boots.

The Following User Says Thank You to psonek For This Useful Post:
Hmm so once it booted and now it refuses. I can see Jolla logo and after few secs red led lights and the device powers off. The same happens even with boot dumped from jolla original boot partition. Booting with POWER button works normally...

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
There's a new initrd, fwiw, you might want to extract.

Hmm no matter what i try the fastboot booting does not work again. I have fresh boot dump:

md5sum boot.img
0b527dd598792e2075ab8d87ed799013 boot.img

which is IMO 100% ok. I tried flashing it to recovery and booted using VOLUME-DOWN + POWER works. Also my kernel now works if i flash it to recovery partition.

Thats strange. It should be usb bootable if it boots from recovery. I'll an image from me later with newest bootloader