Notices

(Nokia n900)

Is there a way to make microB open links in a new window
by default (instead of by long-pressing and selecting)?

With a new window, you can simply close it and immediately
bring up the previous window, whereas pressing the back button
seems to re-render or even re-download the old page, often slowly (doesn't microB use a cache?).

There are several threads related to this, but I didn't see a definite answer to my specific question.

Also, I notice some web-pages automatically open in a new window - what accounts for that, something in the HTML?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by tfj View Post

Also, I notice some web-pages automatically open in a new window - what accounts for that, something in the HTML?
I haven't found the microB setting you seek - don't know if it exists. It's not in the menu|options page. There is a cache size option, though.

But the answer to this question above is yes, a page can send a link to a new window with a) JavaScript or b) target="_blank"after the link in the href tag.

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Other advantages of opening a new window, are: you can leave
interesting windows open for a later, closer look-see - with back-arrow, it's pretty much "use it now or lose it" (you *can* download it, but usually it isn't *that* interesting); and, windows that 'hang' or are just too slow can simply be tossed.
Also, sometimes links seem unresponsive to a normal press, but will open up immediately as a new window.

Is it plausible to capture the HTML at, say, the socket level
and insert 'target=_blank', before it's fed to microB's HTML renderer?