Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
Have you ever visited official web or read anything about telegram and telegram founders ideas? Startup? Making efforts unnecessary to get users quickly?
Do you realize that _the only reason_ they have to deploy their own network, servers and protocol is because they want to capture and retain as many users as possible (and thus make money)?

If they had _any other goal_ in mind they would have just fixed whatever they thought could be fixed on the existing protocols and _federated_ with the existing IM network.

Like what Google did when their motto was "do no evil".

Or maybe do you believe in unicorns and all the other lies their PR department throws? Why don't you just believe us instead then? Because we don't show flashy graphics?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
And do you realize that making money don't imply being evil?

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Advertize it on tv if people like it it will have a fair no of users

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Compare the Jabber approach. If you distrust your current Jabber server, you switch to another one or even deploy your OWN one! You can still talk to all your previous contacts! Only those contacts who also distrust their current server would need to migrate

I run my own server. Is there any other option that could give me more confidence?
i'm a jabber fan too, i'm using jabber/xmpp on the N900 and the integration is cool, and you not only send IM, but you can also make calls and videocalls!

btw i agree is still difficult to spread the word and convince people to use it. maybe we need an app that simplify the process for non geek people.

'cause honestly i cannot imagine all the people setting up their own jabber server or register different accounts, one on jabber.org another one on foo.org etc. just in case one server became unavailable or untrustable. And adding every contacts with his/her multiple different accounts. And they should also encript the messages and choose between rsa, dsa elgamal, or how many bits the key, and how many years will last and how to sign the key...

so maybe the only way is to build an app, that at least follow the users with step by step sign up process, a FOSS app of course using decentralized xmpp servers (the word jabber is now copyrighted by jabber.org)

Last edited by gianko; 2014-02-15 at 23:11.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gianko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
And do you realize that making money don't imply being evil?
But the way of doing money *may* imply "evil". Considering, that they way of doing money circles around gathering as much data about users as possible in centralized servers, I would say that it imply "evil" in their case. Otherwise, their service would work completely differently (in fact, as javispedro said, they would integrate with existing, transparent and FOSS tools - which doesn't imply that they can't make money).

They way they product work (centralized server&friends) is just incriminating. there is no freakin' way anyone can setup something like this without ill intentions (now or in the long run) - the centralized thing cost money and isn't justified for any other reason, than gathering data.

Adding PR talk on top of it may make it seems justified, but if you strip it, it's all that remains. Sorry for breaking bubble of lies about your heroes

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2014-02-22 at 09:01.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 113 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by gianko View Post
i'm a jabber fan too, i'm using jabber/xmpp on the N900 and the integration is cool, and you not only send IM, but you can also make calls and videocalls!

btw i agree is still difficult to spread the word and convince people to use it. maybe we need an app that simplify the process for non geek people.

'cause honestly i cannot imagine all the people setting up their own jabber server or register different accounts, one on jabber.org another one on foo.org etc. just in case one server became unavailable or untrustable. And adding every contacts with his/her multiple different accounts. And they should also encript the messages and choose between rsa, dsa elgamal, or how many bits the key, and how many years will last and how to sign the key...

so maybe the only way is to build an app, that at least follow the users with step by step sign up process, a FOSS app of course using decentralized xmpp servers (the word jabber is now copyrighted by jabber.org)
Maybe Jabber could add an optional telephone number as id, I think this is the key of the success of Whatsapp, an easy way to find and add your contacts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NerdKnight For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NerdKnight View Post
I managed to compile Telegram command line client for the N900. Some libs in Fremantle are outdated so I had to make some changes in the code and use gcc 4.8 in order to compile it. Here you can download binaries and modified source code.
Next step: try to make a GUI.
Thanks for your efforts yet NerdKnight! With today's acquisition of WhatsApp by Facebook alternative clients get a new focus (still knowing about WhatsApp issues before).

I'm looking forward to a version with GUI.

@javispedro et al
Getting down from the meta level - what kind of messenger would you suggest to stay into contact with people that aren't tech savy (and I still call my friends)?
I'm on my n900, others will have their Android's and iPhone's.
ChatSecure (maybe +Orbot to use Tor) uses is Open Source, uses OTR-Messaging and needs a XMPP-Account. Sounds viable for n900 and is available for other mobile OS too.

Threema and quite popular is easy to install but not Open Source that might question it.

Telegram, in secure mode, messages are deleted from the server when successfully delivered.

...and no, I can't proof any of those statements myself, those are from other sites and comments.

Thanks

Hi guys,

Anybody get it work? I get an assertion fired:

$ telegram -k /etc/telegram/tg.pub

telegram: mtproto-client.c:435: process_dh_answer: Assertion `decrypt_buffer[14] == 2' failed.
Signal 6 received

Yep, same here

Sorry to ask again,but since the discussion kinda left the real topic...
Are you,Coderus or anyone else working on getting Telegram to run on Harmattan? Would love it...thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to emro For This Useful Post:

Tags
spyware, telescam