Active Topics

Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
I'd say the screen is of normal durability these days. It's 4.5" and in Hount's case, the impact zone was very small, so that's what I would expect. Days of indestructible glass on n8 are gone. My friends SGS4 cracked in his pocked, my friends SGS4active cracked falling down 30cm, my friends Iphone5 cracked(no one knows what happened). I guess we just have to accept that screens are not as durable as they were 2" smaller.

The Following User Says Thank You to szymeczek34 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by latency View Post
Sounds like a lot of bad luck or the screen is of bad quality. Gorilla glass 2 should be quite durable though
Gorilla is just marketing ********, made by Apple, only *****s beleive in such stuff. I broke my n9 first month I got it. I hope I dont break my Jolla. But as I am often drops things on floor , already droped Jolla twice I should be more carefully if the price is that high...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2014-02-07 at 22:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
Jolla should definitely be more 'sticky', I dropped it like a million times while sitting and it fall on my legs now I'm just waiting for the time it lands on the ground.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szymeczek34 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
I think, Dragontrail screen is way more better, although it is slightly easier to get scratched, maybe? http://m.fastcompany.com/1719138/dra...ugh-glass-game

The Following User Says Thank You to Makeclick For This Useful Post:
210 euro? Ouch... might be worth investigating butteret toast other half (or cat OH)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
210 euro? Ouch... might be worth investigating butteret toast other half (or cat OH)
Offtopic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8yW5cyXXRc

210€ is very high, maybe is it better to buy a new phone, because you have

- new screen
- new second batterie
- new TOH Cover
- new Charger + USB cable
- new PCB and spare Parts like microphone, headspeaker, kamera and and and.
- and dont forget... a new Jolla Package

Last edited by cvp; 2014-02-08 at 10:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
I don't think I've ever seen an iPhone 4 with an intact screen...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martinhsl68hw For This Useful Post:
a friend once dropped his SGS3 and cracked the screen... turned out you have to buy the a combi of screen, glass and electronics which costs 130€ - if you change it yourself... so 210 incl. labour sounds reasonable...

it's todays devices... mostly screen and glass are glued together so no dust sneeks under... downside is, you can't just change the glass...

also, gorilla glass really is quite durable... you need to take into account the thickness of that glass and the surface area... it is quite durable against scratches and impacts, but it's not unbreakable... the jolla is quite heavy and depending on the angle of impact, it might bend... if it bends too much, the glass will crack...

gravity sucks!

The Following User Says Thank You to egnat69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Northern WI, USA
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Gorilla is just marketing ********, made by Apple, only *****s beleive in such stuff. I broke my n9 first month I got it. I hope I dont break my Jolla. But as I am often drops things on floor , already droped Jolla twice I should be more carefully if the price is that high...
Gorilla Glass may or may not be a gimmick, but the hype doesn't come from Apple. Apple uses some kind of hardened glass in their products but they have not disclosed who makes it. Gorilla Glass isn't shatter resistant. It resists scratching.

The Following User Says Thank You to kapu2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Oulu, Finland
The price is typical for an official service like Optima. Independent repair shops are usually cheaper if they can get spare parts, for Jolla they can't at the moment. But probably it would still be over 100€ for 4.5" IPS screen. As we can see from Huoltokukko's rates, the price depends heavily on the size and type of display.

Originally Posted by kapu2 View Post
Gorilla Glass may or may not be a gimmick, but the hype doesn't come from Apple. Apple uses some kind of hardened glass in their products but they have not disclosed who makes it.
It was Steve Jobs himself who used his reality distortion field to convince Corning they can make this incredible glass, at least according to Jobs' biography. And it's been confirmed that Corning is major supplier for Apple.

But Corning isn't bad at hyping their own products. Here's a video about Gorilla Glass 2 used in Jolla

The Following User Says Thank You to hana For This Useful Post:

Tags
broken screen, jolla phone