Active Topics

Closed Thread
OK. I'm so getting this, screw Norwegian letters, I'll convert to English.

This is awesome . Very very cool.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
On my (very old) Ericsson p800, the keyboard only had English keys, but software added the missing characters. An example for Swedish keys (some experimentation will likely find better ways): long-press o for 'ö', long-press a for 'ä', and long-press, extra-click a for 'å'. Does the software provide something like this?

It really is important that the special characters are available in some way, since without them many languages can not be written (the extra characters are often truly letters in their own right, not just variants of other letters).

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I completely agree with Maemouser. What you are doing is really cool. Actually, why limit yourself to Jolla Phone? I would love to have a hwkb for my galaxy note! (using bt of course).

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 2,744 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by stefanmohl View Post
: long-press o for 'ö', long-press a for 'ä', and long-press, extra-click a for 'å'. Does the software provide something like this?
something will be figured out... but the onscreen kbd will be easily available for very special keys.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Porvoo, Suomi
Can bind any key what ever I want?

Originally Posted by Kotka View Post
Can bind any key what ever I want?
atm it is fixed (hardcoded in the sw) but it should evolve to such a system where user can modify bindings..
Maybe some early version has few different to select from. AZERTY and ÅÄÖÆØß seems to be most requested ones.

i don't know yet how tight dirkvl has made the dimensions (afaik they are), but this is one (not-the-best-one) way to change the letter markings.
Another option is to use something like Brother P-Touch Label printer with white-on-black to make your own.

(just ideas)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
http://www.jollausers.com/2014/01/wo...-teaser-video/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Sorry to dig out this old post:

Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
3. I cannot order from farnell (only for companies)
This is not true anymore. To my knowlegde they deliver stuff to private persons since beginning of 2013. This has not been the case before (already ordered myself stuff privately there, while formerly using https://hbe-shop.de/).

The Following User Says Thank You to marsch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by kimmoli View Post
atm it is fixed (hardcoded in the sw) but it should evolve to such a system where user can modify bindings..
In my book the ideal thing in the long run is that it works with xkb (or some equivalent if SailfishOS isn't using X, I don't pay attention to these things anymore... even if it takes ripping apart SailfishOS to add such components). I would work to make the outputs from the hardware keyboard processed at the same level of abstraction as a Linux desktop computer normally processes a keyboard - with xkb somewhere in the middle deciding what physical key maps to what character.

Closed Thread

Tags
keyboard, limited-edition, otherhalf, qwerty