Active Topics

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
When is it not covering the camera? With the keyboard open, or closed?
The N900-size keyboard would never cover the camera. With extended keyboard the camera is always free.

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
But opening keyboard like on the Desire Z would be more problematic than sliding out like on the N900 (as it would be further from the camera, thus maybe reducing its viewing angle).
I don't understand what you mean.

(what I can say is that from an engineering standpoint, a sliding keyboard is a lot harder to make with the flex cable connection between the pieces!)

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
The N900-size keyboard would never cover the camera. With extended keyboard the camera is always free.

I don't understand what you mean.

(what I can say is that from an engineering standpoint, a sliding keyboard is a lot harder to make with the flex cable connection between the pieces!)
I'm sorry, my bad - I was half way through drawing a sketch to illustrate what I mean, when I realized that my understanding of the Desire Z's keyboard was wrong You're right, it doesn't make any difference as far as camera is concerned.

Regarding the open/closed position, I think that sacrificing camera for better keyboard would be alright if you could take pictures with the keyboard open.

I don't personally mind the N900's size, as I'm used to it, but I'm not sure how it would feel on such a big phone.
I prefer slider, but it's not a deal breaker.

I wonder why are you so afraid of a hole on the keyboard. For example, if you used this kind of keyboard layout (but with less empty space at its left and right ends), there could be a hole in the same place as the Esc and Paddlelock key - or on their left side (where you have the speaker grid in the picture). If the Esc would be removed, and is still needed, it can be moved elsewhere on the keyboard. Please note that I mean a straight sliding keyboard, like N900 has, unlike the keyboard accessory of the picture. Thanks to the hole, the keyboard could slide out more than 60% of the shorter dimension of the Jolla phone.

I find the layout of this Qwerty accessory quite acceptable:
- enough space for localizable keys (the - = and Backspace keys can be localized for language variants), The Backpace key can be moved to where you have a "magnifier glass" symbol.
- enough modifier keys on the bottom row of keys
- spacebar in the middle
- four arrow keys, which have not replaced essential keys, such as , and .
But I don't like the "mail envelope", "magnifier glass" and "paddlelock" keys, because they have not much to do with text entry. And the Caps key could be replaced by the Shift key.

Sorry if I'm wrong with the place of where the hole for the camera should be when the Qwerty keyboard is closed (inserted) - lately I've not followed actively this thread.

Last edited by Egon; 2014-01-15 at 23:47.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
What we need is a keyboard that splits as the other half is closed leaving a hole for the camera. Ie. sort of like how the Thinkpad butterfly keyboard worked with cams.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_T...erfly_keyboard

In my ideal other half keyboard you'd have a 5 row keyboard that splits as you close it with two rows moving above the lens and three rows below it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
What we need is a keyboard that splits as the other half is closed leaving a hole for the camera. Ie. sort of like how the Thinkpad butterfly keyboard worked with cams.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_T...erfly_keyboard

In my ideal other half keyboard you'd have a 5 row keyboard that splits as you close it with two rows moving above the lens and three rows below it.
Thanks for the link, I did not know such a thing even existed and I am a longtime Thinkpad fan
However I am a bit sceptical on the mechanical construction of that type, either it is going to be really flimsy flipper or else it will cost you 3-figure number to make (and the first number will be >> 2)

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Damn it. Why did you hide this thread from me all my life?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
This is the latest design:

scandic layout

qwerty

russian

physical (material will change)

Last edited by dirkvl; 2014-09-15 at 19:12.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Would it be possible to add € £$ | to free buttons to all layouts?.

B == | in the middle?

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-09-15 at 19:22.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
LOVE the D-pad! and Separated top row!
I want dat thing!

Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
LOVE the D-pad! and Separated top row!
I want dat thing!
The BEST part: You will get it.

If you pay for it

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
the other half