Active Topics

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
I bought my N810 hopingto replace my Palm TungstenC.
Instead, it's replaced my laptop,
and a Treo is replacing the Tungsten and my phone.
I'm happy.

---------------------------------------------

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by rally25rs View Post
Theres nothing a desktop can do that a laptop can't any more.
Oh, boloney. Can you hook up more than 2 displays to a laptop (I've got 4 right now)? Can you install more than one (fast) GPU on a laptop? Can you install lots of big, fast hard drives in a laptop with big fast RAID arrays? Install a bunch of NICs in your laptop to turn it into a router? Put in more than 8GB of RAM? Have dual 2-core CPUs? Or dual 4-core? Use any of the plethora of PCIe cards that provide you with a nearly infinite combination of inputs, outputs, and co-processing support?

Yeah, thought not.

Here is another article similar to this subject.

Originally Posted by rally25rs View Post
Theres nothing a desktop can do that a laptop can't any more.
I disagree, first of all it's easy to replace/upgrade parts on a desktop. On a laptop about the best you can do is upgrade memory and the hard drive. The power of the hardware is definitely way more limited no matter how much money you're willing to spend. You sure won't be seeing Kentsfield CPUs in any laptop or a Quadro 5600 FX or 8800 GTX Ultra card for that matter. And I promise you that no laptop today can play Crysis on Very High settings at 35+fps.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Syntra View Post
Here is another article similar to this subject.
You mind keeping your stupid spam out of real discussions? This isn't digg or the Halo forums.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Paris, France
It really depends on what you need to do. Travel a lot and need to read and write / edit long documents or manage large excel files? You will want a lightweight laptop.
Browse at home to read some headlines, emails or forums like this one? The tablet will be your companion. And you will use less the desktop or laptop.
Go out to see friends or for shopping and be able to access info stored on the Internet ? The tablet or a smartphone will be your choice.
You are stressed durig the week and wake up in the middle of the night? Instead of wandering to your pc you pick up your tablet (which is always on) and you will do the same stuff from your bed (dim down the light so you won't bother your significant other).
Need to do serious work like writing a lot, emailing a lot, video/photo editing, and all in a comfortable way with access to code for special characters? You will rather use a pc.
Of course it becomes problematic when you have use of all three types of devices, I mean moneywise. Every three years you will need to upgrade all you devices (maybe the desktop will survive a little longer as you can easily upgrade some components), but the whole thing can become expensive. In my case, for the work I do, tve frequent travel, etc. I am afraid I will have to keep all three devices...

Antonio

for vacation travel and web browsing on the go...
the tablet is now my #1 internet device...
it can make voip calls, surf the web, view photos, play music and video.

for word processing, spreadsheets, and so on, it is not yet a
substitute for a notebook or a pc... it has clumsy alphanumeric input and too small a screen for viewing text.

i tried a samsung tablet computer recently...it has a bigger screen and is windows based, but still i found it clumsy to
input text...

By the time you've replaced the CPU, video card, and memory in a desktop, you've bought yourself a new laptop.

I have desktops, but I rarely use them. I have a MacBookPro which can drive the 30" 2560x1920 apple display (at the same time as it's own). It is huge, more luggable than portable, but I'm out on contract and won't take a desktop. It stays in my room, but has all the power I need.

My Averatec will fit into that envelope they show for the Apple Air, but is thicker. 1024x768, can burn DVDs, and has all the other peripherals (firewire, PCMCIA, ethernet). This is my main machine for development or anything I can't or don't want to do on the n810. It also runs XP for those rare periods I need to do so (config program for hardware which only runs on XP...).

If I needed higher-end computing, 200Gb or more, 4Gb main memory (in my PPC mac!), or N-way CPUs where N is a large power of 2, I'd do a "desktop", but it would really be a server.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Connecticut, USA
I showed this thread to my husband as it's really what has happened in our home. This time last year we bought a laptop to use when we couldn't be at our desks. (Downstairs, at our parents, and on both business and personal trips) With two kids under 3, we have learned the error of our ways. Shortly before Christmas, the laptop fell and killed the jack for the AC adapter. So I started researching, and came here asking my newbie questions.

We are definitely very happy with our purchase. So much so that my husband has decided to get the 810 with our tax refund. It has definitely replaced our laptop with it. I have even surprised myself by partially replacing my desktop with it (for VoIP'ing mainly). I have also "talked" one of my friend's into getting one by just talking about what I've done with mine.

So l can definitely see these eventually replacing laptops ESPECIALLY in the general user-base.

Originally Posted by tz1 View Post
My n810 HAS replaced my Averatec small, lightweight notebook (3715), except for developing for the Nokia.

I have a Cradlepoint 350 EVDO router with a UM-150 and a battery pack, so I have a pocket access point that goes with me when I'm not near a hotspot. I've used it with the laptop, or just plugged in the EVDO modem, so it changes things a bit, but it is not unlike having a phone with internet access you can pair with via bluetooth.

I am looking to basically do this exact same thing. I currently have a CDU680 EVDO modem. The service is great. I had hoped I would be able to use the USB port on the NIT with the modem but, sadly there just is not sufficent power to the port. Eh, such is life...

So I have been on the fence about the CTR350 or the PHS300. I would add the battery back in either case even though the PHS300 has an internal battery already.

My question is just how awkward is using the travel router & battery pack in order to access the web? One of my uses will require I be able to access the web discretely as possible while shopping for items to sell. Needing to research an item I want to just pull out the NIT and do a fast search. I figure I will need to carry a bag which is OK and turn on the router before I enter the store. It gives me a reason to buy a new Tom Bihn Buzz bag since my better half seems to have permenantly borrowed mine...she is like that!

Does your setup feel mobile enough for you? I was also concerened about potential over heating kept in the outer pocket of the bag...I would leave it a leetle unzipped.

Anyway thanks for any feedback based on your experience with your setup.

Last edited by brecklundin; 2008-02-11 at 06:31.