Active Topics

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
WPA EAP is a standard, broadly used and nothing new.
When you replace WPA EAP with XXX: How many times I have heard that in different contexts, even this year

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Joensuu, Finland
Originally Posted by att View Post
Yes, I know very well. I have used it and I have been a very little piece of building it.

I still consider WPA-PEAP an edge case for "normal" people.
I always knew I wasn't normal

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsiren For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Joensuu, Finland
Originally Posted by Stuarty View Post
Yes, exactly what I was thinking. The rounded shape of the Pre 3 or N9 really make a difference to everyday use.

And after nearly two years with an N9 the biggest adjustment for me is moving from mostly one handed use to almost always needing both hands.
Maybe this could be addressed to a degree with a slightly differently shaped or lightly textured OH?

The Following User Says Thank You to jsiren For This Useful Post:
battery drain is something ... they should have put double capacity battery in this god damn phone!

Originally Posted by att View Post
When you replace WPA EAP with XXX: How many times I have heard that in different contexts, even this year
Still it's nothing new and the tools Sailfish is using already support it out-of-the-box.

Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Where is the bug tracker for iOS and Android?

As far as I agree that a bug tracker would be nice, people complain because they can. Usually there is no way you can contact and read developpers !! We should be happy about it?!
That is already a good sign. And they promised to address this and improve the collection of bugs and that information towards customers.

I still have faith that things are gradually put in place and we should be confident that they listen. Jolla was vaporware for some but we did believe something will come out and it is happening.

If I have a worry, it is more like that too many people would abandon them and force them to abandon as well... So I hope that they are able to improve the OS rapidly to keep the first adopters and attract new ones...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
My N9 was highly usable with PR 1.0. After I updated to PR1.1 I barely noticed the difference.
That was my experience with the N9 as well. I loved the N9 from the first day of using it. I am less happy with the Jolla (not the same as being unhappy, though)

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Here is a note on XMPP / SIP - I tried hard to excuse Jolla for the temporary (dreaming of white Christmas) lacking integrated SIP and went on to install my favorite Android application for that.

It didn't work well and I had to revert to yet another SIP application that is still in Alpha on Android but which surprisingly added problem free XMPP secure chat.

Great victory today: I have gained a feature that my N900 does not offer.

Here's the summary.

One side N900 or Siemens C610IP, other side Jolla

2 different internet accounts.

CSIPSimple: this elegant and well integrated Android SIP solution seems to have trouble to run on the Alien Dalvik, probable cause is the high level of integration this application provides.

-connects to SIP accounts (Betamax DE and Terrasip ES show online)
-cannot call regular fixed line: press call: nothing happens , number disappears
-cannot establish call to other SIP (Betamax, Terrasip)
-cannot create contacts etc.. (unsupported action - probably due to Android integration level, fine to me that Jolla contact book is shielded off)
-can control Jolla native phone application to call via regular cellular network - upon user confirmation
-can accept incoming call on SIP account, no sound both directions and application sometimes crashes.
-built in sound test: no VU activity, all sound dead

Jitsi: promising but this is alpha software so it is hard draw a line between Alien Dalvik implementation failures or Jitisi

-connects: both XMPP and SIP show online
-sound plays via loudspeaker, not ear speaker (as reported with Skype for Android), microphone works
-Camera: no camera device found
-can receive call on SIP and from external fixed on DID number - so so quality but there are plenty of codecs to try out.
-could not place call to fixed from SIP (call window appears and jumps away)
-secure ZRTP XMPP voice call established but underwater sound effects, however this is happenin in Jitsi desktop client as well.
-secure XMPP text chat: OK

Conclusion: the virtual layer implementation is lacking the following features:

-no sound redirection to ear telephone speaker (all voip appellations seem to indicated this)
-camera apears not connected to VM
-applications seem to be not allowed to select a contact from the native Sailfish address book

How can we configure Alien Dalvik per application access rights?

Both applications are complex and highly configurable so if you have more luck with CSIPSimple for example kindly correct this summary.

Note on installation:

Just download the APK with the built in Jolla browser then tap one time on the downloaded APK from your download list (if you know how to find it in Sailfish , he he) , a message will appear that the application is installed.

No app shop required. Life can simple and beautiful sometimes.

https://code.google.com/p/csipsimple/
https://jitsi.org/

To nice to be real: all native apps online and interactively integrated in the home screen ;-) http://sdrv.ms/1fmJ2Cn

Last edited by ste-phan; 2013-12-18 at 14:56.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The Sailfish mailing list has information about bug reporting and lessons learned from Maemo days.

The essence of it being
So, in summary, we are working on systems for this and we don't want to provide
a half-baked solution which no-one will like - watch this space!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kpblxa View Post
battery drain is something ... they should have put double capacity battery in this god damn phone!
Here's some about that.
http://wpsailors.com/2013/12/18/joll...te-soc-change/

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience