Active Topics

is there an app that you can install in the n800 that can convert videos?

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
No. But there's plenty you can install on your PC to convert the videos for your tablet. Do a search on the forums please.

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

Originally Posted by cutegelo View Post
is there an app that you can install in the n800 that can convert videos?
Cutegelo, if you have a Windows PC you can use the official tablet video converter:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...-transfer.html

A lot of videos don't need conversion though, many of them will run on the tablet as they are.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Using the mplayer port's source to compile mencoder should be possible. Then tablet-encode or using mencoder directly should work. It'd be very very slow tho'.

The Following User Says Thank You to aflegg For This Useful Post:
i know that but i download videos from transmission and it's a hassle to transfer, convert and transfer again, specialy when your on the go..

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by cutegelo View Post
i know that but i download videos from transmission and it's a hassle to transfer, convert and transfer again, specialy when your on the go..
Converting videos on the device would take days.

Converting DVDs might take days (i have no experience here). But converting a few small and short videos should be doable. My benchmarks show the n800 to be similar CPU speed to a 350 MHz Pentium III. (The DSP is probably much faster, if we could use it.) My desktop is less than ten times faster. It can convert small videos in a few minutes. The n800 is about 1.7x faster than the 770. Of course that's raw CPU. The n800 has twice the memory of the 770. The real question is, is it enough? mencoder seems to require about 30 MB RAM on my desktop. A 770 with a swap partition might be good enough. An n800 should be even without one, and besides, you can set up virtual memory easily under OS2008. The memory control panel.

I'd say it's feasible.

Now for a brief rant:

My Palm Pilot had no A/C adapter, so programs had to run in the span of battery charge. The Nokia line does. Overnight compute runs are feasible. And, it's multitasking. So as long as there are resources left over, you might be able to use it to read books or something while it's busy encoding. I've tested this for small long running programs already. It rocks.

In the old days, i had a 16 MB 486 laptop with 170 MB disk, running Linux, a full install. Now I have a 400 MHz Arm with 128 MB RAM and 2+ GB 'disk', running Linux, but it can't print. What's with that? There's no reason to think of a 770 as helpless. We should get ghostscript & CUPS up in a user friendly way, and encourage app writers to support printing. There are already bluetooth printers. A desktop linux machine could support WiFi printing to any attached printer, if it were easy to set up.