Active Topics

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Silwer View Post
I do not want to sound "Lumiaman", however, after one day using Jolla I can not find a single thing that performs on Jolla better than on N9. Jolla Sailfish is still so beta.
I might be even using N9 for next 6 months and hopefully by that time Jolla has improved a bit.
I have to disagree. I'm using much more my Jolla than N9. N9 is a fine smartphone but Jolla is much better. There are flaws, missing features and bugs, but at least for me they are not showstoppers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by wout.martens View Post
This, i dont agree.
While the N9 was / is a very nice phone I have to say the overall performance of the Jolla Phone is much better !

Jolla OS lacks a lot and the UI is beta and needs many improvements but going back to the N9 is a step down in overall performance.
Performance is totally different to functionality. I don't mind waiting a few extra seconds to get something done on an N9[50], but there's no point having better performance when the Jolla simply can't do what the N9[50] can do, or does it in a worse way.

I'd genuinely be putting my SIM back in my N950 right now if only I hadn't chopped it up to fit into the Jolla, as I fear putting it back into the N950 with a SIM adapter is only going to bugger up the N950 SIM slot.

I support what Jolla are trying to achieve, I've always supported the Nokia internet tablets since 2005, but it's hard to express how disappointed I am with what Jolla have delivered after all this time - it really is sub-N9 functionality. Yes it's early days, but apart from being directed to a developers mailing list Jolla are engaging far less with their users than even Nokia did with Harmattan (no public Bugzilla, for a start, even though the Noia one was largely pointless).

Last edited by Milhouse; 2013-12-17 at 15:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by hemiwi View Post
Assuming i get my phone tomorrow, what is the right order?

-updating first to latest build
-enable developer mode
-install Android compability
-settings and import contacts
-install apps?

Can anyone who has setup the phone give some advice?

Thank you very much...Kiitos etukäteen
I would do it in this order:
  • enable developer mode (better chance to fix things if something doesn't go as it should)
  • update to latest release
  • install Android compatibility
  • import contacts
  • install apps

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Well, finally I got my Jolla today so thumbs up to all of the Jolla sailors doing their hard shipment work I can imagine that some sailors will have nightmares printing and sticking battery warning lables on the shipment boxes.

IMHO this device is more than I ever expected for a first generation Jolla. You can not compare version Sailfish 1.0 BETA with iOS7 or Android 4.x.x.

Maybe just for the fun of it dig some old historical webpages and do read the first reviews of Android 1.0 and the legendary G1 Google phone.

For e.g.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2008/...d-g1-review/3/

Code:
The browser is slow at loading and rendering, even when pulling data over a fast WiFi connection (...)

The browsing experience is frustrating and awkward, and I expected far better. (...)
or

Code:
While no video playback software is included, there is the inevitable YouTube application (...)
And now compare this to your Jolla in your hands.

Cheers and happy sailing,
Nek

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Nekron For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Nekron View Post
Well, finally I got my Jolla today so thumbs up to all of the Jolla sailors doing their hard shipment work I can imagine that some sailors will have nightmares printing and sticking battery warning lables on the shipment boxes.

IMHO this device is more than I ever expected for a first generation Jolla. You can not compare version Sailfish 1.0 BETA with iOS7 or Android 4.x.x.

Maybe just for the fun of it dig some old historical webpages and do read the first reviews of Android 1.0 and the legendary G1 Google phone.

For e.g.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2008/...d-g1-review/3/

Code:
The browser is slow at loading and rendering, even when pulling data over a fast WiFi connection (...)

The browsing experience is frustrating and awkward, and I expected far better. (...)
or

Code:
While no video playback software is included, there is the inevitable YouTube application (...)
And now compare this to your Jolla in your hands.

Cheers and happy sailing,
Nek
I don't think anyone here expects to compare Jolla / SailfishOS with iOS7 / Android 4.x, but unfortunately due to the heritage around here there are and will most probably continue to be comparisons with the Nokia N9.

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by P@t View Post
Some were almost surprises like the fact that I cannot get mfe to read my google calendar (probably related to Google preventing it from working properly now)
Google don't allow new devices to use MfE unless you're a paying customer. Sad but true.

(yours with sympathy, another annoyed ex-MfE user)

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jsiren View Post
Having watched several operating systems and environments grow up, I have learnt that when a system is first released, the number of bugs is proportional to the square of the number of features
So very true. Another thing not often realised is that even the simplest seeming feature is only 5-10% in implementation, the rest goes to polish & fixing the inevitable problems that weren't first noticed with it.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I then exported the N9 Contacts to separate files, and merged them together into a single large VCF file (containing all 166 contacts), but when emailing that file to the Jolla and importing it, the Jolla simply said "Contacts imported" (and not "166 or 166 contacts imported") but none were imported. No errors were displayed either.
If you don't mind sending me the vcard (robin.burchell@jolla.com), I'll create a bug about this internally.

I don't work on the contacts application (anymore, I did for a while) - so I don't know specifics, but I'm fairly sure that N9 was most definitely tested for imports, so it'd be interesting to know what's breaking for you.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
For me it took some time to get used to Jolla, mainly because of it's size and sharp corners. I have no complaints about the performance or the UI, it has evolved since the N9. Regarding features, at the moment N9 beats Jolla hands down. It shouldn't be that big suprise, Sailfish is still very young platform and I have all the confidence that it will evolve and missing features are added rather sooner than later.

The Following User Says Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Helsinki
Somebody asked on page one already but i cannot find any reply.

How does RSS implementation work? is it on Notification page?
If not is there a native app already?
Which is the best way to read RSS Feeds on SailfishOS?

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience