Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Here is my observation with regard to the hardware

the display:

-nice enough resolution allows for beautifully rendered graphics
-natural colors compared to the amoled 808 (see picture)
-pixels are peaceful to the eye, not aggressive like on the N9
-lowest brightness is really comfortable for night reading of text without ambient light.
-luckily the display is sunken in the shiny black plastick bezel, not sticking out, if you know what I mean (a design feature of the N9 and some Lumia's)

-the famous other half TOH is just a plastic cover, the logo of Jolla and "the first one" are not molded in the plastic but printed or a sticker, so better show it to the world before the Jolla gets too common and the text worn off.
Also the slight smell wears off quickly (in comparison to the plastics on a Pre3 for example that don't need a Made in China logo to remind you about their origin)
-TOH seems tough and flexible enough to endure a beating If you decide to give your phone a sliding drop, make sure it is on the other half side.

-if you put the phone on its head or bottom, TOH touches the surface

-if you put the phone straight on its side it is the metal frame that touches the surface. Clearing is about 0,5 to 1mm.

-on the corners TOH is not protecting the metal frame corners.

-the bezel is edged by what looks like anodised metal on 3 sides. That gives a nice cool metal quality touch to the otherwise plastic device. When you come inside from -40°C, allow it to warm up gently or you will create condensation around your device

-the bottom side of the bezel is plastic, starting at about 1cm down to the bottom. If you drop the phone head frontally down, I think the best bet for shock absorption is to have the bottom take the impact.
But somebody other than me needs to try this and report.

-there is some space between TOH and the metal half. Liquids from sweaty palms may find their way in and from the metal half deeper into the internals. I am not sure about this.
Once devices are being opened after a couple of months we will know more about the overal hygiene of the design.

-the USB port is tightly sunken in the metal frame but until somebody opens this we can't see how thick the ring of metal around it is. Waiting for the first one that has cracked this USB surrounding to know if it is possible Anyway, nice quality fitting. I don't see much play to rip the USB port from the motherboard.

-the buttons (volume and on/off ) somewhat embedded between other half and frame. This is a much better design than on the Samsung note where you constantly hold push the buttons.

Contrary to the Samsung devices the Jolla case seems "designed" while the Samsung devices give an impression of no design to save cost while impress with internal specs.

-Ergonomocs: well IMO they are not too great actually ... I love the rounded feeling of an N900 or 808, Pre 3. This square phone trend looks nice but is not too comfortable to hold and will undoubtedly later be classified amongst weird 1980's designs when new technologies arrives and telephones are no longer display centric.

-Camera + Flash — not to much presence, just two small dots on TOH are a lens and a LED.. my heart shrinks when I think about the camera. From the looks of the hardware it should be good enough for mobile paper scanning and it does a great job not forcing itself on the foreground of the overal design.

My overal conclusion is that it is a nice piece of hardware.

Here are some pictures to illustrate:

http://sdrv.ms/1fB1fNn

The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 132 | Thanked: 148 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Tallinn, Estonia
Originally Posted by nbedford View Post
Day 1 and down to 50% battery by midday
First hours of active usage drained the battery by 30-40% for me.

Some kind of Battery Profiler app would definitely be helpful.

I'm keeping WLAN off for time being. I'm quite glad the on/off toggle is massively improved compared to Harmattan, which couldn't even pick an WIFI AP by an educated guess.

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
Ok. False alarm then. Still it should be indicated somehow
It really becomes a reflex at some point to check weither apps have the little dots on top indicating several pages. For the Store, I saw directly the categories, because I was starting to get used with the "swipe to see more options" approach.

It's the same with alarms: I saw some people having difficulties with setting alarms up, but they only never validated/saved their alarm with a swipe from right to left. After they did, it became clear and convenient.

It should be clearly indicated in the tutorial though, in bold, flashing red and underlined. I'd prefer that over Jolla reconsidering the navigation they chose, because it is really brilliant when you are used to it. The learning curve is a bit steep, but only for a few minutes (coming from Harmattan, however). Hope it won't discourage new users, and really hope if it does, Jolla will improve the tutorial instead of changing the way of navigating.

Anyone with the same problem as me in Gallery?

Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Pictures in Gallery do not show up: I just get the blurred wallpaper from the current ambience. What's wrong? if I tap to show the menu, then trigger the pulley menu to edit the picture, then I can see it in the bottom part of the screen (or the right part if I'm in landscape).

Last edited by Kabouik; 2013-12-17 at 12:27.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 132 | Thanked: 148 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Tallinn, Estonia
Oh yeah, the "alarm display is off by 1 hr" is real. Good thing the alarm goes off at the right time anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to lkravovicz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
-Ergonomocs: well IMO they are not too great actually ... I love the rounded feeling of an N900 or 808, Pre 3. This square phone trend looks nice but is not too comfortable to hold and will undoubtedly later be classified amongst weird 1980's designs when new technologies arrives and telephones are no longer display centric.
Thank you for your feedback and pictures.
For this particular point you raise, I am totally with you, even if I don't have the phone - it's not only bigger than the N9, but the pointy corners may be an issue. Maybe this can be easily solved by an other half with more rounded corners at the bottom?

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 238 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lkravovicz View Post
First hours of active usage drained the battery by 30-40% for me.

Some kind of Battery Profiler app would definitely be helpful.

I'm keeping WLAN off for time being. I'm quite glad the on/off toggle is massively improved compared to Harmattan, which couldn't even pick an WIFI AP by an educated guess.
Turning Location/GPS off helped a lot to battery drain with my colleague's Jolla.

The Following User Says Thank You to JiiHoo For This Useful Post:
Just received my Phone, was wondering to read just GSM and UMTS on the box as it is supposed to handle LTE (at a later point?!) too.

http://www.imgbox.de/show/img/6dRZWOHOnL.jpg

Also it seems they are out of the limited THO

http://www.imgbox.de/show/img/bgHppca8oG.jpg

Last edited by RX-51; 2013-12-17 at 13:56. Reason: pics not showing up - additional links inserted

Originally Posted by nbedford View Post
Day 1 and down to 50% battery by midday
It gets abit better after a couple of days. Also, turn off the gps.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parasemic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
I do not want to sound "Lumiaman", however, after one day using Jolla I can not find a single thing that performs on Jolla better than on N9. Jolla Sailfish is still so beta.
I might be even using N9 for next 6 months and hopefully by that time Jolla has improved a bit.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Silwer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Silwer View Post
I do not want to sound "Lumiaman", however, after one day using Jolla I can not find a single thing that performs on Jolla better than on N9. Jolla Sailfish is still so beta.
I might be even using N9 for next 6 months and hopefully by that time Jolla has improved a bit.
Sadly, I'm coming to the same conclusion.

Not a single compared to the N9 that is better or equal on Sailfish. And (as mentioned in previous posts) several crucial stuff missing: MMS, connection to company WIFI, etc.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience