Active Topics

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Experimental design: Drop Jolla phone from approximately 1,4m height to the floor. Record possible physical effects on the phone.

Experiment took place: About 5 minutes ago (unintentionally). The phone was dropped onto a laboratory floor (semi-soft).

Experiment performed by: Rauha.

Report:: No physical damage observed. Other half remained firmly attached to the phone. Lots of short term emotional damage.

Last edited by Rauha; 2013-12-12 at 10:27.

The Following 38 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Portugal
Keep calm and enjoy other half

Can you install ".deb" files on Sailfish?

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Mass storage is a f****d-up remains from the era people connected things like stand-alone-MP3-players into computers. It should be deprecated, deal with it.
What is the alternative?

Using my phone as a USB stick saved me from a lot of stress in many circumstances.

I also use a mobile web server to share stuff between phone and but that works only in places where I have WIFI network access.

Thanks for sharing your creative solutions for the post-mass storage era.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Experimetal design: Drop Jolla phone from approximately 1,4m height to the floor.
Kindly describe the surface composition of "the floor" and possible point of inpact on the Jolla

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by torcida View Post
Can you install ".deb" files on Sailfish?
Nope, the package format is RPM.
OTOH, you can convert DEB's to RPM, if you really have something you cannot find a native package for.
Of course you have to make sure that all needed dependencies are met.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
If anyone's going to install an android browser get the default AOSP browser and turn on the PIE controls, and similarly I hope its possible to turn on PIE controls within Android applications, gears the OS much more towards gestures, yet will confuses people between two difference OS paradigms

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I have not yet tried SD-card on the device as I am searching for the least expensive[*] 64G card ATM....

[*] I won't say cheapest here as the damn chips cost a fortune...
Wouldn't recommend the cheapest.. I have bad experiences with inconsistent copies of the Sandisk Ultra 64GB
One works perfectly , the other continues to give errors in same PV 808. However I can use the tricky one without errors the PC.
Access times are also pretty bad.
Next time I will try a Samsung branded one.
Keep this in mind when we start comparing 64GB card performances.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
What is the alternative?

I also use a mobile web server to share stuff between phone and but that works only in places where I have WIFI network access.
Well, for mass storage mode you need to tether the device to your PC by USB cable, right?
So what is keeping you from using NFS mount or SAMBA mount to access the device over USB?
Or if you just quickly need to transfer some files use sftp or scp...
All those protocols work both over WLAN and over USB networking

And added bonus with network file systems; with USB mass memory mode you only get access to the partition that is exported, with filesystem access you get all the data on the device to your sticky paws
And there's no need to umount the exported FS, which is a real pain...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Wouldn't recommend the cheapest [SD card[].. I have bad experiences with inconsistent copies of the Sandisk Ultra 64GB
I can't agree more, especially owning a GoPro Hero 3. I have a Delkin (I think). There is another brand in the US that is quite good (go to gopro.com and search for recommended ones). They are good quality+fast.

Samsung is also there, and it is the cheapest. But I can't trust Samsung. It's a personal thing. SanDisk, sadly, disappointed me.

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience