Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Bought 3 :P gonna try it anyway LOL

Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
So decided to try this out with my spare N9. Probably not going be much use for user like me, but hey, to learn one must try.

I wan't to make sure something before I do, since I am not gonna install Ubiboot at this time 'cos this probably is going to be one time "try it out, how it feels" thing for me and now it seems that best directions to do this are for ubiboot.

So, if I install this without ubiboot:

1. I d/l the 2.6.32.56-plus r6.tar and do: tar xvzf linux_2.6.32.61-plus-20131128.tar.gz -C / at my phone and then take /boot/zImage back to my PC and do flashing?

2. I do "depmod -a 2.6.32.61-plus" after the flashing? At phone or PC? I don't understand this...

Soo, someone help a noob out here

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
2. I do "depmod -a 2.6.32.61-plus" after the flashing? At phone or PC? I don't understand this...
Run /sbin/depmod on the phone before flashing with Flasher. Then flash, it should work just fine then.

Posts: 697 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Hillerød, DK
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Getting myself a second N9 64G, black, all-inclusive 100€, good price ?
Hi, same here black, 64GB same price (750dkr )

Last edited by Garp; 2013-12-07 at 18:36.

Hi! I'm a complete newbie here, havin' got an N9 few days ago. But I'm not ignorant of all the vast underground development that the community has been pursuing *BRAVO* . Being a noob, I'm tryin to learn everythin' hands-on

Now I plan on installin' this without ubiboot - jus so I learn the method. So I note the installation method from OP as below:

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
INSTALLATION
Code:
# tar xvzf linux_2.6.32.61-plus-20131128.tar.gz -C /
# depmod -a 2.6.32.61-plus
But then, upon readin' the entire thread, I find this:

Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
So, if I install this without ubiboot:

1. I d/l the 2.6.32.56-plus r6.tar and do: tar xvzf linux_2.6.32.61-plus-20131128.tar.gz -C / at my phone and then take /boot/zImage back to my PC and do flashing?

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Run /sbin/depmod on the phone before flashing with Flasher. Then flash, it should work just fine then.
That's gotten me perplexed. Can someone please give me step-by-step instructions to get this runnin'? Includin'
> which location on phone I need to place the downloaded kernel file.
> whether I can do the entire operation on phone or if PC is required, for which part and what order (the steps from OP don't seem to mention anythin' about hookin' up phone and PC)

Note that (if it matters) I have installed Coderus aegis-install and opensudo via N9QT.

A simple-to-understand response for a not-so-geeky-yet-but-tyrin-to-get-there chap would be highly appreciated (ATM I'm still in very early learnin' stage)

TIA,
Cheers 'n beers,
JoEy

Last edited by StygiAn TrepidAtioN; 2013-12-10 at 20:56.

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,700 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
step1: unpack modules
step2: run depmod
step3: flash kernel

you dont need kernel file on phone if you dont need ubiboot.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Thank ye @coderus. But might I press to be borne with little further (remember, I'm a painful noob ATM. But not for long)...
So,
>how to unpack modules
>how to run depmode
>to flash kernel, presumin' I need to use a code on flasher 3.12.1 (correct me if I'm wrong) while connectin' phone (should I switch it off first), what is the command?

I did read the whole thread and several others but all the talk is already at a level much above where I'm at. I wanna climb up to a comfortable base to be able to understand the mighty contributions here.

So, again I say, simple-to-understand steps, I pray.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
The kernel tar archive contains both the kernel and the modules.
When you install the kernel without ubiboot, you do not copy the kernel to the device, but instead you need to have it on your linux/windows/mac computer that you are using to flash it.
The modules in the tar archive, however, need to go to the specific folder inside the device.

This is the reason for the advice "first untar the kernel archive on the device and then copy the kernel to your PC from /boot/"
(but of course you can also untar the archive also on your PC and get the kernel from there, no need to copy it off the device... )

Okay... so first thing is to untar the archive, and that command was already posted above.

Next thing is to resolve the module dependencies. Unless this step is done correctly, the kernel does not know which modules it needs to load together for a feature set, which means again that your device won't boot up.
And as was also mentioned, you need to do this step of course before you flash the kernel.
How to do that; go to the directory that contains the modules you just unpacked, "/lib/modules/2.6.32.61-plus". (needless to say, this is done on terminal and as root)
Give the command "/sbin/depmod -a 2.6.32.61-plus"
Check that there is created a bunch of files starting with module* (there should be about 11 of those if I remember correctly)

Last thing is the kernel flashing. For this you need flasher version 3.12.1 just as you noted yourself. In addition you need the correct firmware.bin file for your device, and I assume now that you propably have it if you have ever before flashed the device.
The firmware file is needed becuse the flasher needs to extract from it the remote flashing counterpart called the APE which actually is another small self-contained linux filesystem that knows how to flash the device...
Flashing is done the usual way; first power off the device, then give the flasher command and last step is to connect the device in USB.
The flasher command you should use is this:
sudo flasher -a firmware.bin -k zImage_2.6.32.61-plus-20131128 --flash-only=kernel -f -R

That's it, really. Now your device boots up with your new kernel.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Has anybody made a video of the process? I flashed kernels with different patches from later kernel versions for the past two weeks probably 30 or more times. I could make a video if somebody thinks it's worth it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
...and this, ladies and gents, is why I don't intend on supporting boot methods other than Ubiboot (although, it must work both ways!)

I recognize though that some people legitimately prefer not having Ubiboot - and I'll respect that choice.

For those who need a HOWTO:

Installation without Ubiboot
(UNSUPPORTED)

On the device:
# tar xvzf [DOWNLOADED FILE].tar.gz -C /
# depmod -a 2.6.32.61-plus

Copy the zImage file in the [DOWNLOADED FILE]'s /boot directory to a location on your PC.

On a PC with Flasher installed:
# flasher -a [ROOTFS].bin -k [zImage] -f --flash-only=kernel

Done!

I was intending to make a deb to automagically install the new kernel, run depmod, and sed the Ubiboot entry to boot it.

I've been busy the past few weeks though - college and life in general's been like a whirlwind trying to finish up before Xmas break starts

When I get the time, I'll hopefully fix up the broken Debianization.

EDIT:
I've uploaded a new source patchset - this one applies straight over vanilla 2.6.32.61!
It saves you 1 command and about 16MB of uncompressed patch

Last edited by Hurrian; 2013-12-11 at 14:03.

Tags
kernel-plus