Active Topics

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
The Jolla does show SMS and other message types, such as facebook in a single field. But there is not the full comms history that would include calls.

In the phone app the the contact only shows and not what number they called from(unless there is no contact set up). A long press on a contact in call log gives you the option to: send message, open contact card or delete.

Interestingly the call log shows each instance when they called, if another call has occurred since. If they call twice in quick succession then it will show that number with a 2 beside it (well at least in the case of missed calls).

Last edited by bockersjv; 2013-12-09 at 11:43.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
In the phone app the the contact only shows and not what number they called from(unless there is no contact set up). A long press on a contact in call log gives you the option to: send message, open contact card or delete.
And to avoid returning a call to the wrong number it is exactly the number we are interested in.
so if you want to know the number you better have no contacts persons defined in your address book or x-mobile , x-work, x-fixed? I am not surprised.
Amazing how core communication functionality convenience is being overlooked or left out.
"Smart" phones, right?

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Finland
Hey, they are smart but not phones anymore

Originally Posted by Iipe View Post
Hey, they are smart but not phones anymore
Actually, I made sure that I asked about that, and apparently the Jolla functions very well as a phone. Whether you display more/less information via software is another matter, and can definitely be improved upon.

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Finland
True.

As long as there are no issues with reception and making/receiving calls, it is a good phone despite possible lack of features in the software.

If I have understood correctly, the Jolla phone should be safe in terms of functional hardware.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iipe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Actually, I made sure that I asked about that, and apparently the Jolla functions very well as a phone. Whether you display more/less information via software is another matter, and can definitely be improved upon.
The reception and call quality is up there with the best of any phone i have had. The volume is reassuringly loud too, my N9 required careful positioning against the ear and even then it was particularly quiet.

The pulley system to accept/reject calls is also very good and there is little chance or accidentally answering or cancelling a call when retrieving the phone from a pocket.

I'm sure one of the updates could mean that checking against a missed call could open up the correct number in the people app when selected.

There are issues but there is hope that these will be sorted, we are not on a burning platform so there is a still a lot of hope. I have to remember that I have only had the phone a week or so and the first updates should come early in the new year. At the launch Jolla were keen to point out that they had stopped adding features to the phone 3-4 months ahead of launch and concentrated on getting what is there working as reliably as possible. I think they have achieved this and I have to remind myself of that when i sometimes get frustrated at a missing feature or bug. It is after all a Beta OS. I was happy to sign up knowing that and am largely enjoying the journey, plus i loved my first trip to Finland

S0 there are a few features, such as portrait browsing, that will make the experience even better.

Sometime I just get impatient though

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Brussels
@bockersjv

On your blog you show the youtube video playing in the background, but what happens when you flick down to your apps? Meaning youtube video not in the active window, does it continue? and when you lock the screen?

Thanks

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I have to agree to the above. In my experience the Jolla is already now better as a phone than n9.

isto

Originally Posted by wout.martens View Post
@bockersjv

On your blog you show the youtube video playing in the background, but what happens when you flick down to your apps? Meaning youtube video not in the active window, does it continue? and when you lock the screen?

Thanks
It continues without a hitch and you can hear it still. It keeps playing until:-
You open the window and pause it
You close the playing window
The video comes to an end

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Opening and android app, such as angry birds and you get the two sounds playing.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience