Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Re other half, I'm really hoping Jolla is reading this and getting it for feedback, or anybody for that matter. The Jolla is 9.9mm thick, what can an other half that makes it 15mm thick provide? Maybe NFC, FM radio, keyboard, some extra juice. You never know. What about 20mm thick in total?
They needed to be listening looong before now...

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
"Extension interfaces for wireless NFC" from https://jolla.com/ "Specifications".

What it means?

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
I use multitasking in Android daily, successfully.
There have been a lot of discussions on TMO about Android's "multitasking". I don't think you can open a terminal, type for i in `cat sites.txt`; do wget $i; done, go away and expect the wget to constantly run until all your URL's in sites.txt are retrieved.

That is quite a crude example, but it's what a real multitasking OS is about. I really hope Jolla doesn't go the Android way. I don't know how Linus even accepted Google's broken approach to multitasking in the kernel. Sailfish already provides the ability to inform the process whether it's in the foreground or not (like a lot of windows managers in Linux, for what it's worth), so as a programmer one should react accordingly.

If an application is rubbish at behaving in a mobile environment, then it shouldn't be used, don't worry, the users will figure that out sooner or later and another one will surpass it. The OS shouldn't be designed taking into consideration programmers's laziness, IMNSHO, or we'll end up with Windows again. Hell, Android is the Windows of the mobile world - it requires the biggest HW, it consumes most of the battery, you name it.

I do appreciate that battery life is very limited in the mobile world lately, but that is changing and will dramaticlaly improve over the years. What will Google do then? How will they go back to the traditional preemptive multitasking? Will they rewrite all the applications and services themselves?

There are already a few folks in this thread that will be missing the ability of the browser to load several pages concurrently, like the N9 does, in the Sailfish browser. Yes, it uses more battery, but it's beautiful, and it's something that the likes of iOS cannot do, and I can't speak for Android there as I haven't tried their latest browser (pre-Chrome ones couldn't pull that off either). The mobile user shoudn't be patronised either, so let them choose whether to run multiple applications at the same time or not.

I apolgise if I sound angry, but I do feel very strongly against crippled multitasking as I do use my phone as such and as a computer, so I don't like Apple's and Google's approach to what they call multitasking.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Just don't use Android Can one actually purge all Android related packages from Sailfish without breaking anything?

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
i have a question about the pulley menu. if im scrolling through a list e.g. emails and want to use the pulley menu, do i have to go all the way back up again or is there another way?

The Following User Says Thank You to milanjakob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Just don't use Android Can one actually purge all Android related packages from Sailfish without breaking anything?
I understand that you actually have to install the ACL, so presumably you can use Sailfish without Android - that will be my first test anyway, the minute I get my phone. Well, not really, if I get it before xmas, it will go under the tree and I'll just have to wait a bit longer.

Originally Posted by milanjakob View Post
i have a question about the pulley menu. if im scrolling through a list e.g. emails and want to use the pulley menu, do i have to go all the way back up again or is there another way?
That's a good question, and I think it actually originated with the browser. But look at the videos: the browser doesn't have a pulley menu, nor I think the email client does. This is a UX challenge :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by richardyates View Post
Only problem I have right now is alarms. I set one for 6:43, set it and when it returned to the alarm screen, it showed 7:43
Talking about alarms, is an alarm be able to bring up the notification if it triggers when the phone is off?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
but NFC antenna too tiny for working with something else than OH? :/ Hope I got it wrong, which is totally possible. Sorry in advance, if so.
Its not a simple thing to add an RFiD antenna. Needs some engineering work.

However I am also a bit dissapointed about that. I really hoped for it

Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
I thought the more complex stuf was going to be covered by teh I2C chip and not NFC. It worries me that NFC restrictions may be hardware related, I can wait for sotware and firmware updates but if the device is physically crippled and can't do full NFC or I2C that is a different issue.
It seems HW related I asked about NFC API on the mailing list:

https://lists.sailfishos.org/piperma...er/001539.html

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-12-02 at 18:13.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
exFAT filesystem is not supported currently, I think. All 64 GB SDXC-memory cards are preformatted to have exFAT. Reformatting them to ext4 in some Linux PC may work. Later, exFAT-support could come to jPhone also.
Fuse is supported and you can compile exfat support with developer mode. Its not included in firmware because of lisencing issues. But I've tested that exfat 64GB card works in Jolla phone when using self compiled exfat support. And ofrcourse you can use ext4 too.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience