Active Topics

Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel

Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by isto View Post
Regarding android app access to GPS: just installed GPS test from amazon. All tested features seemed to work flawlessly.

isto

i didn't get it workin on enything (gps)... tryed navfree examble
Other big ------ is: Ubuntu can not use sailfish like mass storage!? what?! and my sailfish is not found my mmc card either?

other than that. I so love this . Jolla! We need updates! oh.. and why they drop integrated facebook and facebook feeds? in the Gallery it working.. thats odd too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Makeclick For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
And you have to make sure there is also a business model – are those websites selling the OS or what is the plan?
We won’t get money by selling the OS. It has to be something else on top of that. It can be applications, services or advertising. Whatever is their revenue model, we should be able to get a slice of that.
Jolla CEO: You will soon be able turn your Android device into a Sailfish device

I'm confused, it sounds like they've fundamentally changed their model (again), now they're somehow planning to make $ via some abstraction(s) "on top of" the OS.
Can anyone else corroborate this? Or is this just strictly for the Asian market? Wouldn't it be ideal for a "Western" one too? (if done well)

Originally Posted by Schturman View Post
Hmmmm, maybe this can help: http://mynokiablog.com/2013/11/29/ho...m-jolla-phone/
If it not exist on yndex and amazons stores...
Ancient news, long before MNB blogged about it, but intriguing development nonetheless, still lots of unanswered Qns though.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-12-01 at 10:07.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Jolla CEO: You will soon be able turn your Android device into a Sailfish device

I'm confused, it sounds like they've fundamentally changed their model (again), now they're somehow planning to make $ via some abstraction(s) "on top of" the OS.
Can anyone else corroborate this? Or is this just strictly for the Asian market? Wouldn't it be ideal for a "Western" one too? (if done well)
i know i'd pay cold hard cash for a jolla image that would run on my nexus 5!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by olympus View Post
So has anyone tried installing flash for android? Just curious..
Yes, Android Flash works for Android apps.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
i know i'd pay cold hard cash for a jolla image that would run on my nexus 5!
Talking about blowing life into under-appreciated hardware, I am totally with you.
I will happily pay 100 world trade currency units per Sailfish license that includes driver support for previous and current gen ex-Android devices with open boot loader.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post

The answer and question was regarding the consumer market. It seems they want to distribute SailfishOS for free and make money via other ways (ACL? Other added functionalities? Ads?) I don't remember Jolla ever mentioning that they would even start offering their OS directly to customers...

OEMs, it's a whole different story.

PS: Should there be a different thread for all Jolla news? Right now they're posted disorderly between different threads in Jolla subforum...

Last edited by Thoke; 2013-12-01 at 10:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
The answer and question was regarding the consumer market.
First time I've ever seen them clearly suggest that they're also interested in targeting consumers directly.
I hope it's not all hot air, personally I'd happily pay for a license rather than be subjected to marketing.

PS: Should there be a different thread for all Jolla news? Right now they're posted disorderly between different threads in Jolla subforum...
Yeah, amongst all the ones still going this is the best (rough) fit, but I agree it's probably best if a "general/water-cooler" thread is estb.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-12-01 at 10:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Gmail android and steam android works on Jolla?

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
There seems to be a bug on Yandex.Store. Today Yandex.Store stopped working, again. I'm either getting error message: connection error or server unavailable.

After some testing it seems that at first time you can use Yandex.Store over mobile data connection but after some time it stops working over mobile data connection. To recover you have to use it over WLAN and after that it also works over mobile data connection. Until it breaks again?

There is settings about WLAN and mobile data connections on Yandex.Store but at least when it is in that error state those settings don't do anything/help you out of it.

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience