Active Topics

Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
On the topic of LPM/LPS - having an LCD display completely contradicts the idea of Low Power Mode. Real low power is possible only on displays that have each pixel emitting the light by itself. All LCD rely on back lighting which can be only ON or OFF for the ENTIRE screen. I haven't heard of phone displays implementation of Local dimming as on some (quite expensive!)TV sets. So yes, having the clock and notifications etc. always on is possible on LCD screen, but battery drain will be nowhere near the LPM on AMOLEDs. It just do not make sense on LCDs.
But something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu746hqoP4E could still be implemented? Don't know how much it would drain the battery if you'd chose the "always on" mode with this kind of screen, but with proximity sensor, it would at least shut it self down when in your pocket, as in N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to handyAndy For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
To add to zlatko's explanation re L920, if I set the LPS to on during the night, the battery drains around 40-45% in 8hours so its pretty useless...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
To add to zlatko's explanation re L920, if I set the LPS to on during the night, the battery drains around 40-45% in 8hours so its pretty useless...
But if one charges his/her phone during the night, that wouldn't be such a big problem? And you could still use it as a night clock in that case.

The Following User Says Thank You to handyAndy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
To those that got invitation and responded to it: did you receive any immediate confirmation through email?
No, I didn't.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
if jolla wants to steal regular users from android/iOS it must be easier to restore device with something like one click button. whats jollas move here? you cant tell joe on the steet to download a file and whrite in commandline...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I've read it will be possible to install sail on almost any android phone. Do you think jolla convinced anyone to actually release a high end 5.5 inch screen phone within 6 months? I really would like it on other hw.
Members of the OHA are not allowed to ship devices that do what Jolla does with Android applications. Remember what happened to Acer when they tried it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Mikkosssss View Post
Who wants work for Jolla? https://jolla.com/fi/avoimet-tyopaikat (its in english)
Hmm they need browser engineer so thats not ready yet?
A lot more positions than there was just a shot while ago, I wonder why only now.
https://jolla.com/jobs

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
I'm yet to install this on my 1020, it should be interesting to see what the results are.
(Woops I forgot, 1020 display uses AMOLED, so it'll no doubt work differently)

Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Members of the OHA are not allowed to ship devices that do what Jolla does with Android applications. Remember what happened to Acer when they tried it?
It'll be interesting if it finally gets to the point that Samsung calls Google's bluff on that one with real shipping end-user devices.
Will Google come down hard, or will they just say "naughty boy" & give Samsung a light slap on the wrist.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-11-17 at 19:02.

Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by handyAndy View Post
But if one charges his/her phone during the night, that wouldn't be such a big problem? And you could still use it as a night clock in that case.
There will probably be application for that.
You just open it and it shows clock+some data and you leave that on overnight.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Devon, England
Originally Posted by cvp View Post
no, because the joll phone has LPS Screen and no Amoled with low screen mode. maybe a second display over other half
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
the mistake jolla make is selecting ips not amoled
This keeps coming back up on #jollamobile. Nokia have already used an LPS on a non-AMOLED screen. It's not as bright, and I haven't seen a comparison of power consumption, but it does work.

However, this doesn't mean that Jolla will be using this (I can't find a quote, but I'm pretty sure their Twitter said they weren't at one point). It does mean, though, that if developers have enough HW access to the Jolla device, such a feature could be added.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I vaguely recall reading they were working on it, but my memory lately has been horrendous.
It'd be great to get official word on whether they have plans, even if it's a long way off & LP.

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red