Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
How is the Awareness of jolla in Finland. IF I Walked Down the street of Helsinkis and asked 100 People about jolla...would 90 of them Know what they do?

Trying to find out more about this groundbreaking stuff. Any clues...I'm exited!

Q12: Finally, can you leak any snippets of information (be it large or small) on what we can expect with the finished Jolla handset ?

Jussi Hurmula: We are working with Joikusoft to do groundbreaking things in local area network.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-10-16 at 17:27.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Have anyone seen jolla lately. I'm afraid they have cancelled the whole thing. If they can't won't talk about Sailfish or the product they can Atleast say something.
Prior to availability we knew pretty much zero about the 1st iPhone/iOS, same for the 1st Androids, it's quite similar even today.
In comparison, we know more about Sailfish(Jolla) progress before even the 1st device is on the market.
What do you want, a running commentary of every little thing done? Good luck with that...
I think they created this problem themselves to some extent, thanks to the language they've used over the last yr+.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-10-16 at 17:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Prior to availability we knew pretty much zero about the 1st iPhone/iOS, same for the 1st Androids, it's quite similar even today.
In comparison, we know more about Sailfish(Jolla) progress before even the 1st device is on the market.
What do you want, a running commentary of every little thing done? Good luck with that...
I think they created this problem themselves to some extent, thanks to the language they've used over the last yr+.
I want proof of life...not the same thing you stated above.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Yes, just walk by the building on the other side the next time.
Or go inside the building and take the elevator and meet the Jolla team and say you want to be beta tester

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Some hardware speculation for change. I noticed that HTC One Mini and HTC First have quite identical looking specs (Snapdragon 400 8930AA/AB at 1.4Ghz) as the ones for Jolla. My bet would be that will be the SOC used.

Does HTC still do ODM / Designing for other companies? If they do, it might mean that the manufacturing (+some of the design?) is also done by HTC.

Last edited by DeeGee; 2013-10-17 at 18:45. Reason: AA variant might only be AB at lower clocks?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeeGee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
What about the Android compatibility layer, do we know up to what version will it support? ICS? JellyBean? KitKat? Or old Gingerbread?
Maybe should we release the Kraken? aka Jalyst, to start bullying Jukka on twitter?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hariainm For This Useful Post:
@DeeGee ,

I was thinking the same about MSM 8930AA SOC being used. Its a good mid-range SOC. I have the HTC first , quite fluid and fast with Android 4.1., plus has LTE support.

Sounds like right choice for SOC.

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Some hardware speculation for change. I noticed that HTC One Mini and HTC First have quite identical looking specs (Snapdragon 400 8930AA at 1.4Ghz) as the ones for Jolla. My bet would be that will be the SOC used.

Does HTC still do ODM / Designing for other companies? If they do, it might mean that the manufacturing (+some of the design?) is also done by HTC.
Offtopic but those HTC phones really look CRAP to me. But I agree it may very well be that SoC.

I would not be suprised if it is HTC that will build the Jollaphone motherchip... Infact it could be HTC that buys Jolla later on (or license sailfishOS)... AFAIK HTC android bussiness is not that good anymore? Its only samsung that makes biggest cash on Android

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Rumors existed for the iPhone, Android was shown in their previous BlackBerry-ish version (keyboard and all) to the G1 rumors and spy shots.

What you see as a problem, I see as interest. And that's a good problem to have. Just that... some folks are a bit more "enthusiastic" than others.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Good findings/Qn, & one I'm sure we'd all like to know, hopefully we will soon enough...

Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
What about the Android compatibility layer, do we know up to what version will it support? ICS? JellyBean? KitKat? Or old Gingerbread?
Maybe should we release the Kraken? aka Jalyst, to start bullying Jukka on twitter?
Nah, I'm just a pooty cat, & as I said earlier, they usually don't listen to me any more...

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Rumors existed for the iPhone, Android was shown in their previous BlackBerry-ish version (keyboard and all) to the G1 rumors and spy shots.
I said comparatively zero, not zero, I'm well aware of all the snippets that came out...
But it's not on the same lvl (hw/sw-wise) that we've experienced with Jolla's 1st offering, here's just one quick/small e.g:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...82#post1380982

What you see as a problem, I see as interest. And that's a good problem to have. Just that... some folks are a bit more "enthusiastic" than others.
It has become a problem in the sense that folks are getting increasingly angry/anxious because there's "not enough timely info".
When in reality there's been a great deal of info. shared, I myself have at times been part of that angry crowd, but primarily in a irrational sense.
Dave's protestations go beyond rational expectations most of the time, I'm surprised you (of all folks) want to argue to the contrary.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-10-17 at 07:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red