Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Thanks. Can I just apt-get upgrade on scratchbox?
I must say, I'm not sure. Seems you should start upgrading of dpkg (and maybe apt).

Originally Posted by seanmcken View Post
so whatever this project is, is it gonna change whole OS of nokia n900?
This really depends what you mean 'OS'. Maybe you know all of this, but: Maemo5 contains some 3000 packages (as Debian and Ubuntu and almost every modern Linux; files are not just coming to your system, but each file comes inside a software package).

Some of the packages are libraries, which means user are not using them, but another packages are using them. And then there are application packages which are used by user.

Some of packages originates from Debian, some are made by Nokia. Packages which comes from Debian are mostly those libraries and there are now recent versions available. Goal is to update these and keep Maemo5 still working and feeling as previously.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
I must say, I'm not sure. Seems you should start upgrading of dpkg (and maybe apt).

This really depends what you mean 'OS'. Maybe you know all of this, but: Maemo5 contains some 3000 packages (as Debian and Ubuntu and almost every modern Linux; files are not just coming to your system, but each file comes inside a software package).

Some of the packages are libraries, which means user are not using them, but another packages are using them. And then there are application packages which are used by user.

Some of packages originates from Debian, some are made by Nokia. Packages which comes from Debian are mostly those libraries and there are now recent versions available. Goal is to update these and keep Maemo5 still working and feeling as previously.
after upgrade and dist-upgrade only 5 things left unupgraded but:

Code:
> apt-get install debianutils gettext ifupdown perl perl-modules
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 debianutils : Depends: sensible-utils but it is not installable
 gettext : Depends: libcroco3 (>= 0.6.2) but it is not installable
           Depends: libunistring0 but it is not installable
           Depends: libgettextpo0 (= 0.18.1.1-9)
 ifupdown : Depends: iproute (>= 20071016-1) but it is not installable
            Depends: lsb-base (>= 4.1+Debian3) but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: initscripts (>= 2.88dsf-25)
 perl : Depends: libdb4.8 but it is not installable
 perl-modules : Depends: libswitch-perl but it is not installable
                Depends: libclass-isa-perl but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 863 | Thanked: 213 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Goa
@AapoRantalainen
what'd be a big change after completion of this project? i mean + points or advantages? plz tell

after upgrade and dist-upgrade only 5 things left unupgraded but:

Code:
> 
apt-get install debianutils gettext ifupdown perl perl-modules
Thanks, this was indeed good information.
Try update+upgrade again. I checked that I didn't get new ifupdown installed, so I removed it from repository (use 0.6.7osso). And another ones were missing from repository.

The Following User Says Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Code:
> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
Backslash found where operator expected at /usr/share/perl5/Dpkg/BuildOptions.pm line 93, near "foreach (split(/\"
Global symbol "$self" requires explicit package name at /usr/share/perl5/Dpkg/BuildOptions.pm line 59.
Global symbol "$self" requires explicit package name at /usr/share/perl5/Dpkg/BuildOptions.pm line 59.
Global symbol "$bo" requires explicit package name at /usr/share/perl5/Dpkg/BuildOptions.pm line 59.
Global symbol "$bo" requires explicit package name at /usr/share/perl5/Dpkg/BuildOptions.pm line 59.
Global symbol "$content" requires explicit package name at /usr/share/perl5/Dpkg/BuildOptions.pm line 59.
Global symbol "$source" requires explicit package name at /usr/share/perl5/Dpkg/BuildOptions.pm line 59.
Global symbol "$content" requires explicit package name at /usr/share/perl5/Dpkg/BuildOptions.pm line 59.
Global symbol "$source" requires explicit package name at /usr/share/perl5/Dpkg/BuildOptions.pm line 59.
Global symbol "$count" requires explicit package name at /usr/share/perl5/Dpkg/BuildOptions.pm line 59.
/usr/share/perl5/Dpkg/BuildOptions.pm has too many errors.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/dpkg-buildpackage line 33.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/dpkg-buildpackage line 33.
Getting this on dpkg-buildpackage

/edit:
Code:
> echo $PERL5LIB
/scratchbox/devkits/svn/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/i686-linux-thread-multi

Last edited by marmistrz; 2013-09-26 at 18:34.

@AapoRantalainen
what'd be a big change after completion of this project? i mean + points or advantages? plz tell
Upstream. I think - access to the features and functions available only in new versions. For example, yesterday, i want to compile new version of sdl-sopwith game, because of some libraries and dependencies problems, i was "forced" to use this repo. It was extremely useful for me
(thanks! BTW.)

However if you are just "normal" N900 user, you will probably see no change.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lexik For This Useful Post:
@AapoRantalainen
Some MeeGo libs require newer libs as deps.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Code:
> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
Backslash found where operator expected at /usr/share/perl5/Dpkg/BuildOptions.pm line 93, near "foreach (split(/\".
Getting this on dpkg-buildpackage

/edit:
Code:
> echo $PERL5LIB
/scratchbox/devkits/svn/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/i686-linux-thread-multi
Do you have libdpkg-perl=1.16.10 and dpkg-dev=1.16.10?
Are you using perl 5.14.2 or 5.8.4?

The Following User Says Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
did you get hildon-desktop running?

Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
Do you have libdpkg-perl=1.16.10 and dpkg-dev=1.16.10?
Are you using perl 5.14.2 or 5.8.4?
Code:
> dpkg -l dpkg* perl*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                              Version               Architecture          Description
+++-=================================-=====================-=====================-=======================================================================
ii  dpkg                              1.16.10               armel                 Debian package management system
un  dpkg-cross                        <none>                                      (no description available)
ii  dpkg-dev                          1.16.10               all                   Debian package development tools
ii  perl                              5.14.2-20             armel                 Larry Wall's Practical Extraction and Report Language
ii  perl-base                         5.14.2-20             armel                 minimal Perl system
un  perl-doc                          <none>                                      (no description available)
ii  perl-modules                      5.14.2-20             all                   Core Perl modules
un  perl5                             <none>                                      (no description available)
un  perl5-base                        <none>                                      (no description available)
un  perlapi-5.14.2                    <none>                                      (no description available)
I guess it might be scratchbox1 related, because of
Code:
echo $PATH
/host_usr/bin:/scratchbox/devkits/git/bin:/scratchbox/devkits/svn/bin:/scratchbox/devkits/doctools/bin:/scratchbox/devkits/debian-etch/bin:/scratchbox/devkits/perl/bin:/scratchbox/devkits/qemu/bin:/scratchbox/tools/bin:/targets/links/arch_tools/bin:/scratchbox/compilers/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
on default

maybe settings PERL5LIB would fix.

You could create your own scratchbox1 target (sb1 setup like here: http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...K_Installation ) and find out what's problematic with official sdk and wheezy

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post: