Active Topics

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Oppo and Cyanogen is a much much better device than Jolla.
Jolla Y U DISPOINT ?!?!?

You hooked us on with Qt-MobileLinux OS.
You lined us up with a gesture-based UX (even though it was flawed).
You sunk it all down with delays, high prices, low-end specs.

Why didn't you go for something more mainstream/on-target ??
- 5.2inches (pocketable, nice and big)
- 720p or higher
- OtherHalf for qwerty, gamepad (Shield eat your heart out), etc etc
- $650 or less
- Snapdragon 600 or better
- improvements to OS/ecosystem
Because not everyone wants what you want. Ever since I joined all your comments are complaints. In the N900 days, you complained why it wasn't 4 inches, then why the N9 wasn't 4.3in and now you complain on why Jolla isn't 5.2in. I hope that one girl complains about your manhood and asks you every year why it isn't an inch longer. Keep quiet and buy the device you want. We all want everything to be perfect in this world, but it can't. So try to live and cope with it. Quad core??? What, you need it for bragging rights? Do you seriously need it and use it to its fullest potential? Have you melted those dual cores from overuse that you require a quad so much? Because of Joes like you, there is no software innovation. We all need stupidly fast hardware with little software gimmicks. Sailfish works flawless on N9 hardware so it will work even smoother on a dual core. What more do you want?

Oh.....and buy an Oppo or Cyanogen, nobody has a cannon aimed at your head forcing you to buy Jolla.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Not sure to understand also all the frustration that some have here. I was not surprised or maybe even positively surprised when some specs were revealed. I did not have strong expectations (they said it will be mid-range) because I am not interested in specs but in the (sailing) trip to have with the Jolla guys.

What I want is a bit of magic (the OS) and something smooth, I am a normal user (no dev) and I am just interested with something on par with what could provide smart people in term of UI/UX . The other magic words are community, open-source.
There is indeed a lot of trust you need. But I almost have the feeling that I know some of the people behind Jolla: they seem to be nice, professional, and I am pretty sure that they make their best to open as much as possible and to give as much info as they can.
They have limited resources so they need to make choices because they cannot deliver in all fields.
To run a business is not that simple and you should not forget that the telco business is particularly harsh.
And they have a business to run because they have a dream: to transform the industry into something better (<>perfect).

This phone is for sure something they want as good as possible : it is their first baby, they will be judged for that. And after two years of work, I am pretty sure that they want as much as we want that the phone is working nicely. Bad reviews would be terrible for them.

They said that they listen. The qHD is definitive, the soc as well, so please stop complaining - it is useless and childish. If you are not interested , you may be interested in the next phone if it exists one day.
About the support, this is not Nokia anymore. Again there is trust and hope. You cannot ask for more now. Who knows what will happen in 2 years.
At the end, trust and hopes makes a thing which is called: community.

PS: ok i am not saying that everybody should be obeying blindly and not comment. But commenting is not complaining... I know some Jolla fan that were not satisfied a lot by qHD but after commenting, they pass to something else...

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
Folks complaining here, you can always cancel the preorder placed. Furthermore, you can return the product in 7 days period.
If only that display could be 720p, no picking there. I can cope with everything else. But if that is the price for getting a good battery performance, I see it ok. On LG Optimus G, there is 50-55% of battery drainage is caused by the screen (4.7" HD IPS), and that is while I keep it at 22-27% of its brightness.
Btw, if we don't support them by buying the device, there will be no Jolla 2.0. And that will be definitely "the end".

Boy, what can I say? EPIC......No, LEGENDARY......

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 126 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on May 2013 @ Melbourne, Aus
Seriously I think we just need to wait, rather than complaining about specs before we've even laid our hand on the device... If after having the jolla phone for awhile and it proves to be disappointing, then is the time to complain

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by Greendts View Post
Seriously I think we just need to wait, rather than complaining about specs before we've even laid our hand on the device... If after having the jolla phone for awhile and it proves to be disappointing, then is the time to complain
That would be too late, so how would it help?

Originally Posted by patlak View Post
Because not everyone wants what you want. Ever since I joined all your comments are complaints. In the N900 days, you complained why it wasn't 4 inches, then why the N9 wasn't 4.3in and now you complain on why Jolla isn't 5.2in. I hope that one girl complains about your manhood and asks you every year why it isn't an inch longer. Keep quiet and buy the device you want. We all want everything to be perfect in this world, but it can't. So try to live and cope with it. Quad core??? What, you need it for bragging rights? Do you seriously need it and use it to its fullest potential? Have you melted those dual cores from overuse that you require a quad so much? Because of Joes like you, there is no software innovation. We all need stupidly fast hardware with little software gimmicks. Sailfish works flawless on N9 hardware so it will work even smoother on a dual core. What more do you want?

Oh.....and buy an Oppo or Cyanogen, nobody has a cannon aimed at your head forcing you to buy Jolla.
Lol bwhaha I had a tonne a fun reading this.
I wished my manhood would grow year over year... I do complain about it, dont worry.

All I was trying to say is that Jolla should've gone with a budget SoC from China. Then passed the savings on to the consumers to get as many users and developers on board.

But since they opted to use Qualcomm (and pay for royalties/premium soc)... why couldn't they gone up a notch? I'm not asking for quadcore, bleeding edge... but the 600 is plenty powerful enough to last us for a long time.

I don't know about you... but I for one want something inside that would outlast the N900.

Sure we can't have flawless products... but I'm not asking for that.
I just wanted something better, like "no-brainer" upgrades... something mid-range at least.
I want a qwerty... but I rather it be iPhone shaped and simply snap on a qwerty from the back (OtherHalf idea).

My digits are large enough, a 5.7in device should feel good to the eyes, hands and pockets.
But I am willing to go lower, a 5.2in would be good.
Anything smaller seems too small for me now, size does matter.

However with that said I wouldn't pass it if it was 4.7inches... that's medium for today's standards. Small for me, but still not that bad that I would pass it. Couple the 4.7in with the qwerty/pad that would definitely be attractive.

However currently the 4.5in sizing makes it feel like a Lumia... and nobody like Lumias (well, except that guy).

For now; rant over, stay fresh.

I'm flattered

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
What do you mean by dumbed or not? Dumbed like what?
Dumbed down mobile OS ? Mobile OS with artificial restricted features, like crippled multitasking, incompatible libraries (bionic x glibc), etc. Even if the current hardware (dual/quad core CPU, 1-2GB of RAM, etc) is equivalent to PC computers 4-6 years ago.

You are telling that Nexus is sh**tty, but yu know that a lot of people think different, samsung(LG) devs think that it's awesome. So what?
You can't tell android or iOS is sh*tty so if we make phone at least a little bit better it would be good. You can't say something bad, than telling you are good as you are better than X. If you are better than X doesn't mean you are good enough.
I don't care if anybody is better than me, or all the Earth population is. It is my right to say Android and iOS are dumbed down mobile OS, based on my real experiences, even if you and 1 billion users dislike.

Your use of "you can't" is not polite at all. Try to use it commenting about iPhone users...
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
There is nothing philosophic about numbers. They represent tech values.
"The screen size is X pixels wide and Y pixels tall."
This is neutral, nothing philosophical about that.

"X pixels wide and Y pixels tall is/is not good."
This is a personal judgment, as philosophical as it gets.

See the difference?

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Lol bwhaha I had a tonne a fun reading this.
I wished my manhood would grow year over year... I do complain about it, dont worry.

All I was trying to say is that Jolla should've gone with a budget SoC from China. Then passed the savings on to the consumers to get as many users and developers on board.

But since they opted to use Qualcomm (and pay for royalties/premium soc)... why couldn't they gone up a notch? I'm not asking for quadcore, bleeding edge... but the 600 is plenty powerful enough to last us for a long time.

I don't know about you... but I for one want something inside that would outlast the N900.

Sure we can't have flawless products... but I'm not asking for that.
I just wanted something better, like "no-brainer" upgrades... something mid-range at least.
I want a qwerty... but I rather it be iPhone shaped and simply snap on a qwerty from the back (OtherHalf idea).

My digits are large enough, a 5.7in device should feel good to the eyes, hands and pockets.
But I am willing to go lower, a 5.2in would be good.
Anything smaller seems too small for me now, size does matter.

However with that said I wouldn't pass it if it was 4.7inches... that's medium for today's standards. Small for me, but still not that bad that I would pass it. Couple the 4.7in with the qwerty/pad that would definitely be attractive.

However currently the 4.5in sizing makes it feel like a Lumia... and nobody like Lumias (well, except that guy).

For now; rant over, stay fresh.
Quite a lot of contradictions in what you're saying. You say you'd have them use cheap Chinese parts instead of paying premium, and yet you say they should have put a 5.2in screen with a S600 at the least. Since Jolla will ship "close" to Samsung's volume, in your opinion, they should just experiment with their own SoC, include all the latest HW developments and price the devices 5000EUR. The device is fine and hopefully will sell and become popular in today's duopoly.

As for size, it only matters if you don't know how to use it and lack confidence with what you have. Everybody is different, but perfect in their own way if they are willing to accept the reality. It's the same for devices, hence the choice. And no, that 0.2in difference will not be noticeable in your daily usage. Displays have increased quite a lot that 0.2in is insignificant. In the old days, there was a difference between a N95 2.6in and a N82 2.4in, but those times are over. A device is bought for the experience, not just for the spec sheet. It surely is a better experience to use Maemo devices than Androids, even though they run older SoC. The end result is all that matters, not how it comes together.

The N900 might be old, but it still provides the joyful experience it was originally meant to provide. Every new Android is the same, just 0.000000000000000123456s quicker.

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
You are telling that Nexus is sh**tty, but yu know that a lot of people think different, samsung(LG) devs think that it's awesome. So what?
So..........if everyone jumps off of a bridge, will YOU?