Active Topics

Notices

Closed Thread
I used the first beta. Then I upgraded from the application manager. Later tried removing it and installing it from the command line. Removed it and tried installing it from the official website again. And finally tried those instructions (when I tried removing them it did say I didn't have libdownloadmanager0 installed though oddly).

I have (btw anyway to quickly output all repos next time?)

Nokia Catalog
Nokia Catalog (3rd party software)
Nokia System Software updates
maemo extras
maemo
Anderenende Repository
Graham Cobb's repository
Maemo hackers
Vagalume Last.fm client
gizmo catalogue
tuomas kulve - maemo - chinook
maemo extras devel
anidel repository (for Xournal)
Ricky Brent's Maemo packages
claws mail for OS 2008
maemo
browser extras
pidgin n800 LED plugin @ maemo.jabber.dk
maemo extras
deb http://www.devicescape.com/download/debian/chinook

Some of the duplicate names like maemo and maemo extras is because one specifies the Chinook distribution while others don't. Not sure if that matters (or if I'm even suppose to have duplicates).

I don't think I've ever used Gustavo's Evas demo. I've only looked at them on my laptop.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
Well I'm about to throw mine against a wall here,. Have been trying for nearly 24hrs to get the new Canola to work with no luck yet. Will not play any audio and won't DL podcasts. I've tried to gain root etc. with no luck either, have tried dropbear client, and open ssh client and followed all the directions to gain root and when I try to delete/remove any of the files listed it says it can't find them, yet I can go between Red/Blue pill mode and delete them that way. (I hope) But this lib can't be uninstalled until you uninstall these other files etc.

I really do appreciate all the hard work the entire Canola team have done for this release but this is the exact reason why Linux will never be anything more then a tinkers' toy, Nokia has had this hardware and software for what nearly 4 years now and have no market share, Apple has been at it less then a year and has taken over the entire market, go figure. People just want ease of use.

haven't spent much time with it yet but wanted to post first impressions. download and install was perfect, no hitches and it was fast and simple.

i went straight to the podcasts menu as this is my main use for canola. i checked the settings and some of my old feeds were still there. but there was no menu to play podcasts. i had to add a new podcast feed and restart canola before the menu would show up.
i couldn't see any improvements in the podcast page. my hope was that it would be possible to stream podcast episodes without first downloading, but i couldn't see how this was possible.

internet radio: i was able to add a BBC real audio stream and it played fine! there were some issues however, the player didn't recognise the name of the station and then when selecting a station it would give me a further extra page where i was required to choose a stream! this step is a bit of a pain, in the standard media player you just choose the station and the player does the rest.
anyway, thanks for a nice program. although the new features are welcome they may need a bit more polishing before they are really useful,

hi canola team

i'm trying to uninstall beata2 from application manager (how i installed it) and it says "unable to uninstall. some application packages are needed by other applications"

hitting details says libecore0-evas (0.9.9.041-maemo.7) and libedje0 (0.5.0.042-maemo1)

why is this?

if the app packages are needed by other apps surely they were there already? or are they part of the canola insall? if so what other apps now need them?

can you give me details on how to uninstall?

cheers!

Well yippee f8kn skippy, I guess the only way out at this point is a reflash and re-install of all my apps AGAIN !! Since I can't delete any of those libs/debs without deleting half of everything left on the tablet since I can't gain root bla bla bla to delete the files which was outlined.

So much for the promise of the OS2008 retaining all your apps.

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hi, let's go over the topics...

"haven't spent much time with it yet but wanted to post first impressions. download and install was perfect, no hitches and it was fast and simple."

That's nice.. unfortunately for those with lots of repositories, demos and things we have still compatibility issues...

"i went straight to the podcasts menu as this is my main use for canola. i checked the settings and some of my old feeds were still there. but there was no menu to play podcasts. i had to add a new podcast feed and restart canola before the menu would show up."

Hehehe, people just don't read the instructions =) Apart from the joke, there's on the website.. there's here.. everywhere : "Please reboot".

The podcast is completely dependent on the download manager thus you need to reboot to kill it and the other version (update) can come up.

Also canola2 beta2 updated atabake (the media engine) and we need to kill it as well so the new one takes place.

"i couldn't see any improvements in the podcast page. my hope was that it would be possible to stream podcast episodes without first downloading, but i couldn't see how this was possible."

Well, as said, this was a "Bug fix" not a feature update. But, I can assure you things are much more reliable now. If you click on the download icon... wait a little bit and touch the episode. It does streams play what you're downloading... I only use like this...
If still not working, please send me the feed... but I highly doubt the feed has any problem... strange, but the way it's supposed to work is that you can start streaming at any time (you just need to give a small time for buffer)

"internet radio: i was able to add a BBC real audio stream and it played fine! there were some issues however, the player didn't recognise the name of the station and then when selecting a station it would give me a further extra page where i was required to choose a stream! this step is a bit of a pain, in the standard media player you just choose the station and the player does the rest. "

Yes, this we are aware.. and it's been working for the next update. We focused on add the support to streams and didn't have time to fix this.

"anyway, thanks for a nice program. although the new features are welcome they may need a bit more polishing before they are really useful,"

yes, we will get there.. still have 2 releases =)

BR

FlareUP : take a look at the other threads, theres at least 2 or 3 with tips on how to solve this. The application manager of people with different repositories can get crazy when updating.. and thus you need to do so manual tweakings.. but it's possible to fix.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=16075

Sorry if this is a lot of trouble, but we really have little to do in such different scenarios where users can have repositories from anywhere.. installing versions of things that breaks other things.. While I do think we can help a little bit.. it will be impossible to trust the application installer / user behaviors.. until we decided to ship with every single dependency (even worst)

: /
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

TTgowings:

you need to do this :

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=16075

There's no way of missing it... we really don't want the blame of making you re-flash your device : /

BR

Handful, I'd do that in a heartbeat if I could, but I can't figure out how to get to become root, I've tried all sorts of ways so either I'm just not doing something right or I've messed something up in Xterm to where I can't become root anymore, I just don't know at this point. And I tried to remove those files within the app mgr between red/blue pill mode but for everyone of those files I need to delete it's telling me it has dependancies so in order to delete that 1 file I have to find and uninstall 10 other files.

TTwings:

I really do appreciate all the hard work the entire Canola team have done for this release but this is the exact reason why Linux will never be anything more then a tinkers' toy, Nokia has had this hardware and software for what nearly 4 years now and have no market share, Apple has been at it less then a year and has taken over the entire market, go figure. People just want ease of use.
Well, now you know somethings about apple :

1) you know why they flash your device in everyupdate =) to not pass throught this..
2) you also know now.. why the iphone re-scale the photos to crap resolutions .. so it can load faster, maintain thumbnails and zoom even faster and nicely.
3) don't give any user freedom, people don't know where the ipod touch / iphone stores music. No, why?
4) don't give any dev freedom : imagine the devs messing around (now they will release a sdk, it will be nice to see if they will repeat the macos strategy)

So, It's painful to compare to apple, because they avoid problems by reducing freedom.. for me as "interaction designer" that would be a dream, because most of the problems are gone.

"Media libraries goes on mmc2. You don't have? it? Sorry cannot install canola..."
"photos only can be in the 'Photos' folder, why let people choose it?"
"Music? you don't even copy, my appplication copies"

And so on.. while this give a lot of simplicity for the system... and maybe it's incredible good for the apple customers (I use some of their products) It would never work the same on the IT.

People accept the lack of freedom, because theres a incredible nice industrial design, a simple but working integration.. a great hardware that gives you power to do a incredible and nice looking UI... then people "exchange" ok.. I don't have freedom but I do have this bling bling...

Impossible for nokia to mimic that in the current state : /

Not to mention how much money was thrown at the iPod/iTouch. How much did we all pay for Canola? We will all accept that you are just upset. I screw up my devices every other day and can't sleep until they are all just perfect, its just the way some of us are. We are trail blazers on a budget!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to rjoudrey For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread