Notices

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by dblank View Post
Edit 2: ok, I'm a dummy.. I had another version of libesd in /usr/local/lib that was loading, xmms is working great now that I've removed it
have you managed to get an esddsp running to provide a wrapper for OSS? there seem to be two ways to do this aoss, or esddsp, and there also seems to be some info in alsa.conf.

this dschmicker cat seems to have gotten esddsp to work, but i can't build a version that works

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...velopers/27362
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/local/lib/libesd.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

i always get

Originally Posted by free View Post
Ah I didn't see that you can configure it.
From 10 bands to 31 bands.
15 is too cpu intensive (with my configuration).

But 10 bands (like original xmms eq) is fine.

Does anybody have performance issue when reading from sd card? (I have no sd card at the moment, no way to check).
From flash, the ogg and equalizer performance is perfect but I'm not sure anymore from sd card..
mp3 and ogg are encoded in frequency domain, implementing EQ should take no significant cpu time. (edit) A plugin that provides eq on the audio stream is different. This does a FFT transform on the PCM audio signal (not the mp3/ogg data), adjusts frequency gain, then retransforms to PCM. By this approach such an eq can work on all file types.

no perf problems on sd.

only problem was the incorrect font leading to no fonts displayed guesswork on the UI and finding esd output plugin. Otherwise it works great.

Thanks a ton for those libgk1.2 builds. i gotta see how dillo runs now

Last edited by ArnimS; 2008-01-30 at 00:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/local/lib/libesd.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

i always get
Does /usr/local/lib/libesd.so.0 exist?

I had the same problem, just had to link it:
(ln -s /usr/local/lib/libesd.so.0.2.8 /usr/local/lib/libesd.so.0)

Substitute 0.2.8 with whatever version you've compiled, of course.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
ArnimS, I've put alsa-oss 1.0.12 in my repository.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Thanks for the EQ fix Free You are correct it is usable in 10-band mode, however it does definately increase CPU usage. The increase in CPU causes playback skipping when attempting to multi-task (eg: reading a pdf or FBreader doc) - the skipping doesn't occur when using the built-in xmms EQ.

Anyways, the EQ sounds great and does work with all of my files Thanks!

Originally Posted by free View Post
ArnimS, I've put alsa-oss 1.0.12 in my repository.
Thanks. I do have aoss on the device, but haven't gotten it working with oss programs that try to write to /dev/dsp. If anyone has an idea how to get alsa-oss or esd-oss emulation running on the tablet, please start a thread on it with a howto.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Yes, the equalizer is barely usable.. just try to move the window.. I will try to look at it but I don't promise

I've uploaded a new version of xmms
-corrects font message
-puts a decent icon

For the font, you'll have to edit ~/.xmms/config and remove the two lines concerning font. Xmms will rewrite these lines with a correct font.

Next step, bloody internationalization..

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Biel/Bienne - Switzerland
The rep is down, at least for me, got a 404 when trying to refresh. Sorry got it.

I previously installed xmms since that is what I normally use under linux, but it is unusable for me. The audio is very distorted and much lower quality than the same file played through the media player. I dont recall anyone else mentioned this issue. I had to uninstall it, but just thought I would check in here since so many say they use it.

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
Which output plugin do you have configured?

---------------------------------------------