Poll Options
Will you buy the Jolla phone?

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
says whom?
Nicolò Cè Interview Translation in English:

Meeting with Stefano Mosconi interview with ... in Italian! July 26, 2013
July 27, 2013 at 6:15 pm

SailfishOS today seems performance, always in the future you will update the old terminal? .. And in terms of update we can expect a more similar to what has been done so far by Nokia or from maemo.org CSSU with her?

SM-As a company we are defining when and how update management, but certainly with a management much more similar to what you have been used so far by the CSSU, do not forget that many people in La Jolla are also an active part in community

What is the difference between the device will be presented and the final one?

SM-We are working on performance, bug fixes, new skin of the media player, some applications have been redesigned from what we have seen so far to give you a 'user experience' certainly superior to that of 'N9.

And in terms of design? We noticed similarities with the design of the last born Huawey Ascend P6 (the thinnest on the market)

SM-A breakdown of the 'aesthetics of the phone you have to wait, but the guys at Infinity have a long ten years' experience on design and market trends, and as you've noticed these are the same people who are also working for Huawey

In sailfish will be able to use graphical themes for customizing as in N900?

In SM-Jolla believe we have created an interface very very 'nice' ... and we would like to create a much more similar to the concept graph of iOS instead of Android that offers too many settings and at times difficult to set parameters for persons engaged in works. iOS offers a standardized product but safe care and cleanliness graphics we also want to provide the end user with a well-defined interface but NOT extremely locckata and that will also give opportunity to those who want to change the icons for example with respect to our official version

Where 'the physical keyboard?

SM-I can not tell you if and when it will be produced and how the technical system, but we understand that it is one of the major demands and of course we take into account because we are in constant contact with the community and we understand the needs.

'Cause IU Sailfish not' open source?

SM-Why is it that differs from SailfishOS MER, which is the 'core' of the system. SailfisOS represents our personal vision of graphical system, the UI is a skin and then we will tend to keep the property as it will define our own work differendola for example by nemo

How did the idea of the second half?

SM-About a couple of years ago, in the early stages of life Jolla, our chief designer and one of the founders, by analyzing a large number of concept, chose it for its originality and perspective that can really give the user, over the years, to have a device always updated with the addition of an accessory that brings new features that may in the meantime be sought by its user. In fact allow hardware upgrade without any need to purchase a new device.

What prospects Jolla and as a competitor considers direct point of reference in the market?

SM-At the moment we are still a small company to be able to compare to the giants already in the market, but we can say that our potential senzaltro techniques are the height of a competition in terms of performance, design and especially of innovation and 'freshness' of a system is not 'locked' like iOS but not settable to capacity as Android. We would like to give an alternative to the infinity of a few iOS and Android devices (then all equal to each other) that today you can find in a store elettronica.La current battle between competitors is now focused only on hardware features churning out new devices every day who have just a little more ram or processor a bit more powerful .. but offer no real difference in the characteristics of software products compared to a year ago or two. in short you will come to a technical limitation that will make everything identical to itself. (What's the difference in practical terms have a PC with 6GB of ram from one that has 8?) Our attention was more focused in creating 'software', because this is the real revolution! And I will answer any questions about the features of the processor, screen, or else because they do not define any real difference between us and the rest of the market.

Have you had any contact with Italian companies for the production of a product with SailfishOS pre-installed?

SM-At the moment we came in contact with any Italian company that I know of, though only after the final launch of our first device, we will be open to cooperate in the production external to our labs, providing our help for commissioning in the production of products other than our own, but with the same OS.

As regards agreements with telcos?

SM-We are certainly in agreement with many small local phone operators to various markets, such as DNA for Finland. With time, the growth and our market presence will always be able to enter into agreements with major telephone operators in the direction of commercial synergy

Lately we note that other manufacturers have added to their devices, some features that seem to 'copy' from your project do you think?

SM-Innovation, patents and closing in terms of copyright, they can sometimes be useful, but we coming from Linux we're really pleased to see our ideas reworked and taken up by other competitors because we see this as a statement of 'estimate ', which has more' value 'to our work .. both in terms of return of the image in terms of satisfaction for our continued commitment.

With Nokia is now all closed or we can imagine a Nokia with SailfishOS? .. Maybe an official update for N9?

SM-I am very emotionally attached to Nokia for my years spent with them since 2005 and for the training that was able to give me, we'd be really happy if they decided to consider the option and for us it would be off work with a company with such a historical baggage that seeks to maintain positions in this constantly changing market but at the moment there are no agreements in this direction.

What do you expect from the new Marketing Director, Tim McDonald and newly hired from Nokia?

SM-This is an extremely ingamba guy who arranged for your Nokia Nokia.com the ecosystem around the site, so it has excellent credentials to do well here too.

We wanted to propose the name 'Ocean' for the Store applications Sailfish, what do you think?

SM-There are several proposals and this is one that will report to those who are managing these decisions

As you are planning the system of maps?

SM-We are creating the application to manage the system of maps that will be provided by an external company among the various present. I can not reveal what will be .. Here as well, but there are also Navteq and Garmin and TomTom for example.

Let's talk about integration with android applications: Applications that are currently on GooglePlay will also work on SailfishOS? Either they need to be adapted in order to be initiated on your OS?

SM-Applications Android do not require any processing to be undertaken on SailfishOS, you can easily download a. Jolla apk on or on a tablet with Sailfish to install it and see it work without any adaptation, of course with the limits between a device and the ' another. But the same limitation also exists between different android phones. We Jolla we are working in direct testing of applications, testing them individually in the Store to add the certification of their compatibility. But anyone can even run applications that are not present in our store with ease thanks to the collaboration with Dalvik.

We are afraid that users will put up a store with very few applications and that we should wait too long to have an adequate number everyday use.

SM-We are looking to start with about 1,000 applications tested and certified for compatibility in each local market, because the Finnish market expects and requires different applications from the research on the Italian market, or French or Chinese .. for example. and the number will increase gradually over time .. but we want to give a really important number at the start .. Whereas, of course, those applications that are most in demand and avoiding those used absolutely unnecessary. We have capacity limits but only time limits at the time to be ready as soon as possible.

How did the bookings Jolla?

SM-reservations have arrived from all over the world, and Europe has shown a high interest. The first phase of bookings in fact just served to make us understand where our supporters are geographically localized and therefore where to focus our attention and stuti commercial feasibility.

You still have the goal of producing phones, tablets, TV and computer x car as had been announced with meego?

SM-We are currently starting with the development of a product that will give way to more easily enter the market and let us know. Mer (the 'core' of the project) also allows for further development in this direction and not exclude them.

Will support OTG for use via USB?

SM-surely the software supports OTG seen the use of linux driver but at the moment I do not remember if the hardware is enabled to use it

applications can be closed directly or need 'must change from the multi-tasking?

SM-confirm that close directly with a downward movement.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

Thanks are due to Stefano Mosconi its availability.

Nicholas Ceci >> https://www.facebook.com/NicoAdmin

Manuel Pacini >> https://www.facebook.com/adunanzav3x?fref=ts

Admin: >> https://www.facebook.com/Club.Possessori.Nokia.N900

Https://www.facebook.com/JollaItalia >>

Https://twitter.com/ClubNokiaN900 >>

Https://twitter.com/Jolla_Italia >>

Http://www.youtube.com/user/ClubPossessoriN900 >> >> >> https://www.facebook.com/groups/ClubNitdroid/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/179248518851706/> https: / / www.facebook.com/groups/355848937770770/

And Francesco Vaccaro .. >> https://twitter.com/fravaccaro >> http://jollait.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AMD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Now read again:

what he says is the SW support it, but he is not sure if HW has it!

Now read again:

what he says is the SW support it, but he is not sure if HW has it!
Are you f*cking serious?
What's the point if the SW has it but not the HW? It's the Jolla phone after all
What applies to SW, applies to HW.

I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Originally Posted by AMD View Post
Are you f*cking serious?
What's the point if the SW has it but not the HW? It's the Jolla phone after all
What applies to SW, applies to HW.
No it does not. What he actually is saying is that Linux kernel support OTG and maybe also the SoC but that does NOT mean the HW is fully enabled for it.

Remember N900 and N9 it also has a SoC who support USB hostmode. But as we see you still can enable it on N9 cause of the battery managment chip on N9 if I remember correct. It could be similar issues on the Jolla device.

Summary is he does not confirm anything!

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-07-27 at 21:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
No it does not. What he actually is saying is that Linux kernel support OTG and maybe also the SoC but that does NOT mean the HW is fully enabled for it.

Remember N900 and N9 it also has a SoC who support USB hostmode. But as we see you still can enable it on N9 cause of the battery managment chip on N9 if I remember correct. It could be similar issues on the Jolla device.

Summary is he does not confirm it
The phone is not a final one yet. Changes could be made. And so far, a modern phone to compete at least with an SII or SIII for example, it should AT LEAST, minimum, have USB OTG support. Otherwise, it won't be the "futuristic" phone as sailors say

Originally Posted by AMD View Post
The phone is not a final one yet. Changes could be made. And so far, a modern phone to compete at least with an SII or SIII for example, it should AT LEAST, minimum, have USB OTG support. Otherwise, it won't be the "futuristic" phone as sailors say
Its irrelevant what you(or me) expect and what fact is. Because fact is we still don't know.

I didn't say I know what will happen, but I recommend that they make the HW enabled for that. Otherwise, that'd be a SERIOUS, epic fail.

"yes, but..."

Either a jolla phone or the BBOS10 Aristo

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
No, I wont(not now at least maybe later). I cancelled my 100 Euro as well as my 0 Euro pre-order today.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Yes, but only with hw keyboard... (LTE should be default.. I hope)..

Tags
fanboy, gy_wp_sy, jolla, jolla phone, theoclueless, theotool