Active Topics

Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
Similarly, if you don't mind using mencoder (which as speculatrix mentions can rip DVDs and has versions for most OSes including Windows, Linux and Mac OS X), my tablet-encode can help: it can automatically find the longest track on the DVD and rip that and even has a simple GUI on Linux:

HTH,

Andrew
That's pretty cool. Does it do ok if your DVD is a TV series (multiple long tracks)

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ SF, CA
bambi, try Media Converter - made for N800 - very fast - easy to use. You convert a DVD to an avi using any program(s) that does this and then run it through this to get a perfect resolution.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by Modred189 View Post
That's pretty cool. Does it do ok if your DVD is a TV series (multiple long tracks)
Yes, but you'll have to specify the track numbers at the moment, e.g. dvd://1. lsdvd can help identify the tracks.

Some future version may include a track selection widget in the GUI version.

Does anyone have a problem with sound not sync correctly? I get it on a few of my conversions, I use dvdmajic to rip then nvc to encode w/ defaults.

Thanks,
D_H

nosam, thanks
I was trying the video converter, to diectly encode to be playable in the n800. I had used dvddecrypter to create 1 vob file. The video converter is able to open it and play. However, while trying to convert, it sort of seems to go into a loop and all can see in the bottom info bar, is quick flashes of some info. But I can make out 0mb and 0 sec.

From your reply it seems that I need to actually first convert it to avi and then use the video converter. I am trying to use avi.net. seems to take indexing forever..and no progress bar. Any faster avi converter out there u could suggest?

Originally Posted by Deer_Hunter View Post
Does anyone have a problem with sound not sync correctly? I get it on a few of my conversions, I use dvdmajic to rip then nvc to encode w/ defaults.

Thanks,
D_H
Do you experience the audio offset on your original videos prior to your conversion in NVC? Are you using the latest iteration of NVC?

Crouching Hamster

Originally Posted by bamb_i View Post
From your reply it seems that I need to actually first convert it to avi and then use the video converter. I am trying to use avi.net. seems to take indexing forever..and no progress bar. Any faster avi converter out there u could suggest?
Rather then convert to an AVI try converting to a MPEG1.

I use good old TMPGEnc for all my VOB conversions and it works quite well - very good motion tracking and no audio offset issues.

Crouching Hamster

Originally Posted by bamb_i View Post
nosam, thanks
I was trying the video converter, to diectly encode to be playable in the n800. I had used dvddecrypter to create 1 vob file. The video converter is able to open it and play. However, while trying to convert, it sort of seems to go into a loop and all can see in the bottom info bar, is quick flashes of some info. But I can make out 0mb and 0 sec.

Use DVDShrink

sirhunter, superstar.
Thanks. I will give both of them a spin. Was doing a search on the converters here and have been downloading and trying out many of them. some fail to do anything, some get into a loop and some just hang. Probably my laptop.
Hope Tmpeg and Dvdshrink will give the results.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
bamb_i
Was doing a search on the converters here and have been downloading and trying out many of them.
I use avi.net and am not sure that I recognise your problems apart, that is, from lack of speed. I get great results in one step encoding and without having to creat a single vob file, go through DVD Shrink, NVC, etc. etc.

I don't want to add to confusion here so i shall leave it at that but post back if you would like to try my methodology.