Active Topics

Hello,
I would like to know how video playback on Nokia 770 compares with Palm OS devices like TX, T5, Lifedrive, which have faster processors, or with the Tapwave Zodiac , which have a dedicated video card processor.

I'm ordering a Nokia 770 from Ebay to use for internet surfing mainly.

I already have Tapwave Zodiac that I use as a PDA and the video playback is very good, but I find the screen too small.

If you are getting this for playing video, you will be sorely disappointed. I suggest you go over the supported video formats. Currently the video playback is a bit choppy.

I'm assuming that you are using TCMP for video on your Zodiac. If so, then you pretty much will know how well it works on a TX. It is smoother and supports more formats than the 770.

I think video on the 770 is awsome. sure it doesnt support much formats but the 770 is more built for web browsing. i converted one of my dvd and it played smooth enough and clear enough to be impressed.

if your going more for a video machine, then get one built for that. if your using it mainly for browsing, then get the 770.

You can use video converter software on almost any video, and you get smoothly playing 15 fps, 500 kbps video out for your 770. I'm perfectly happy with this, as the lag of a LCD masks the framerate a bit, too. Not close to what the competition would be but I think it's impressive from a low-cost general purpose device.

I am also more than happy with the video playback capability but then again I tend to watch things when travelling on the bus which isn't exactly the best place to view things! But watching Top Gear episodes on it using headphones is good enough to make the person sitting next to you jealous they can't properly see/hear what's going on

The only reason I'm mad about the playback capabilities is because I really like to stream Live TV from the internet onto my 770 when I'm not home to watch the news...etc... And only a select few work. Even some formats that stream video via RealPlayer sometimes don't work. The 770 is very picky about what it plays. I really hope this will be expanded in the 2006 OS.

oh.. i havent tried streaming from online but i would have to agree with you on the limited format. i like to visit msnbc site and tho i dont watch or stream their video, at least it be nice knowing that it could. i think that the msnbc site uses ms windows media- or something like that. maybe someone, wii be able to create a plug in for that oneday

Originally Posted by kutibah
The only reason I'm mad about the playback capabilities is because I really like to stream Live TV from the internet onto my 770 when I'm not home to watch the news...etc... And only a select few work. Even some formats that stream video via RealPlayer sometimes don't work. The 770 is very picky about what it plays. I really hope this will be expanded in the 2006 OS.
Do you have a link to one that works? I've never tried streaming video on the 770.

Originally Posted by Simon
Do you have a link to one that works? I've never tried streaming video on the 770.
I don't have a direct link, but there is a video section on www.bbc.co.uk that works.