Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Definition of a fanboy: comparing OSs without even having the product in your hands. That is the worst kind of fanboyism and deceives audience of whether the OS is worthwhile buying or exploring. the facts are based on incompete OS and no device. I bought N900, because it was claimed that it will support all kinds of email including corporate email. Well, it didn't. I was deceived by fanboyism.
Where is the Thank you! button, because I really need that for your post! Still Lumiaman, you are fighting alone, and you will be overwhelmed and hated bu those you just described, but it's a good thing you still keep on doing the right thing against them and try to wake them up.

http://www.jollausers.com/2013/07/wh...-a-comparison/

Thanks, obviously written by a fanboy and shame about the not-so-great English, but I liked the videos and summary. It also supports my desire of testing BB10 if I ever have a chance.
This website is not endorsed by Jolla Ltd. or any other foundation or corporation. Maintained by couple of enthusiasts.

So the information posted here is not valid, as they wrote that article without a hands-on device. The article was written by pure fantasy and dreams!

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by TheoX View Post
...and you will be overwhelmed and hated by those you just described, but it's a good thing you still keep on doing the right thing against them and try to wake them up.
Define clearly & succinctly "those" & "them"?

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-07-20 at 13:37.

Seven years of being a king means you are doing it right. iOS email is not the best, that goes to WP. However N9 was the worst email client in the history of smartphones. I ha to stop using it because of it, and keyboard was also way worse than iOS. Predictive input was horrible, and keys were not well spread out. Jolla needs to show me that the most used features are flawless. All they are showing now is their multitasking (my N9 never multitasked as it froze all the windows when left just like iphone does for obvious reasons to help battery life) and swiping which honestly are minor points in regular users lifestyle
A couple of quick points:
- I think your N9 is broken (if you bought several, several were). Multitasking works great on mine, I wish iOS could do basic things like start loading a website, go elsewhere, come back and the website is loaded. If that's impossible because of "battery life", well ok, make a better OS. Not my fault that Apple sucks at making technology lately. The N9's battery life outlives iOS's, and I use the N9 _way more_ than the iPhone
- Have you tried swype? iOS doesn't give you that option and is critical if you ever use your phone with one hand. Like, use the _mobile_ phone while walking for example... kind of using a mobile device to be mobile, right?
- I believe iOS's mail app is the worst that I tried so far, and I use N9's. 99% of the time I read my emails on the phone, that's something that iOS can't do properly [on IMAP]
- I disagree that iOS has been king for 7 years, I think my Nokia 5800 has always been better than my iPhone 4 at everything I use the iPhone for

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
A couple of quick points:
- I think your N9 is broken (if you bought several, several were). Multitasking works great on mine, I wish iOS could do basic things like start loading a website, go elsewhere, come back and the website is loaded. If that's impossible because of "battery life", well ok, make a better OS. Not my fault that Apple sucks at making technology lately. The N9's battery life outlives iOS's, and I use the N9 _way more_ than the iPhone
- Have you tried swype? iOS doesn't give you that option and is critical if you ever use your phone with one hand. Like, use the _mobile_ phone while walking for example... kind of using a mobile device to be mobile, right?
- I believe iOS's mail app is the worst that I tried so far, and I use N9's. 99% of the time I read my emails on the phone, that's something that iOS can't do properly [on IMAP]
- I disagree that iOS has been king for 7 years, I think my Nokia 5800 has always been better than my iPhone 4 at everything I use the iPhone for
You are what we call a fringer. A man with very low expectations. n9 is a great device if you are coming from Dark Ages. Not for a contemporary man!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You are what we call a fringer. A man with very low expectations. n9 is a great device if you are coming from Dark Ages. Not for a contemporary man!
What have I told you about being rude to people? Wait until I get you home, you naughty boy!

I hope you've got your vest on.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
So you do still hope for some traction for their descendants... Nemo/Sailfish.
Or you continue to maintain the "See, I told you so!" attitude that their failure is a given?
My opinion is that it's still too early to tell. I'm putting them in the same boat with Mozilla's new mobile OS and Ubuntu's new mobile OS--they're late to the game, but they're already starting off far more consumer-friendly and less open-source and developer hostile than Nokia did with Maemo and MeeGo. That alone gives me some more hope--but after the experience with Maemo and MeeGo, I also have learned not to rely on hope and hold my breath. They still need to compete with Android and iOS for market share to make themselves viable but then Linux had to fight the behemoth that was Microsoft and has been steadily coming out on top year over year. It might be not a fast climb to the top for any of these. That's my position--it's basically a good start but what will REALLY count is how they listen to customers and community along the way while maintaining a successful business model. For my perspective--as I've said all along, I'll gravitate to whoever gives me the most of what I want. Openness, flexibility, trust, compatibility/library and support are big for me and the people I work with--I like Android (especially CyanogenMod for its AOSP) but I still yearn for something better. So far, I've not seen it. Not even in Jolla.. but it's still early days--but I remain skeptical until I see more evidence that they're not just going to behave like Nokia did.

Eh? Since when?
I seem to recall some carriers and vendors (ie. Verizon and T-Mobile among others.. http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/carrier-advisory-group) already trying it out--and I know you can already install it on many Google Nexus devices (like my Galaxy nexus). So it seems like it's already getting some traction. Maybe I'm wrong?

I was trying to be clear, it was a honest Qn, based on a long posting pattern.
Ah, so you were talking to me. Boggling!

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Why are you leaving out FreeRTOS?
CRIPES! You're right! Need to remember FreeDOS, TRON, QNX and FreeRTOS too!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
My opinion is that it's still too early to tell. I'm putting them in the same boat with Mozilla's new mobile OS and Ubuntu's new mobile OS--they're late to the game, but they're already starting off far more consumer-friendly and less open-source and developer hostile than Nokia did with Maemo and MeeGo. That alone gives me some more hope--but after the experience with Maemo and MeeGo, I also have learned not to rely on hope and hold my breath. They still need to compete with Android and iOS for market share to make themselves viable but then Linux had to fight the behemoth that was Microsoft and has been steadily coming out on top year over year. It might be not a fast climb to the top for any of these. That's my position--it's basically a good start but what will REALLY count is how they listen to customers and community along the way while maintaining a successful business model. For my perspective--as I've said all along, I'll gravitate to whoever gives me the most of what I want. Openness, flexibility, trust, compatibility/library and support are big for me and the people I work with--I like Android (especially CyanogenMod for its AOSP) but I still yearn for something better. So far, I've not seen it. Not even in Jolla.. but it's still early days--but I remain skeptical until I see more evidence that they're not just going to behave like Nokia did.
Fair point....
I think we've seen lots of evidence already (just in how the interrelated projects have evolved) that they're very different to how Nokia behaved.
But yes, there's still some question marks over the degree of openness (which isn't just about blind/regular code dumps ofc) in some areas.

I seem to recall some carriers and vendors (ie. Verizon and T-Mobile among others.. http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/carrier-advisory-group) already trying it out--and I know you can already install it on many Google Nexus devices (like my Galaxy nexus). So it seems like it's already getting some traction. Maybe I'm wrong?
What people have been able to try, is Ubuntu chrooted in Android, it's far from where they're headed with real Ubuntu Touch.
Most of the people trying it, aren't actually contributing a single thing, they install it for a while, find they can't do SFA, rant/rave, & then remove it.
It's a good publicity exercise, it's resulted in far more visibility for ubuntu touch than sailfish (& ubuntu touch already benefits from ubuntu's brand in other form-factors), not really dev progress though.
That's one thing Shuttleworth has in spades, marketing/spin instinct. There's still some question marks over that advisory group, it's more about "keeping up appearances" than any real progress*.
More significantly, they still don't have any hardware partners, that's what needs to be lined-up pretty soon...

Originally Posted by Lumianan View Post
What have I told you about being rude to people? Wait until I get you home, you naughty boy!
I hope you've got your vest on.
What do we have here, the anti-Lumiaman?

*which in itself can serve a purpose, & be good strategising

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-07-21 at 11:12.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
jalyst,
The flipped images being offered by Ubuntu recently are all about booting into Ubuntu with Android in the chroot so they are certainly on the path to where they want to go but questions remain about, among other things, the feasibility of them arriving by their self-set deadlines...

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
jalyst,
The flipped images being offered by Ubuntu recently are all about booting into Ubuntu with Android in the chroot so they are certainly on the path to where they want to go but questions remain about, among other things, the feasibility of them arriving by their self-set deadlines...
The path they want to go entails no longer using SurfaceFlinger hooked into libhybris, but rather using Mir (among other things), that's still a long way out.
But agreed, the time-lines they've set for themselves have [largely] been VERY ambitious...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-07-21 at 11:19.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
My opinion is that it's still too early to tell. ... They still need to compete with Android and iOS for market share to make themselves ...
I agree with that it's too early to tell, but I'm interested in how things will turn up to be like, for instance:
- Jolla won't need to sell millions of devices to be successful [in the short/mid term], so they can take certain liberties.
- Firefox is tricky since they are funded partly by Google... not sure how they'll expect money back from their Firefox OS, perhaps just licensing? In which case, how much do they need to sell to be successful and continue their work?
- Ubuntu: not sure about how big they are and what their success goals are. Again, they don't seem to be selling any device, so money-wise maybe it's just licensing?
- Tizen: I'm pretty sure Samsung will want to sell millions of devices running this for a certian period of time to justify their investment.

For what it's worth, I hope all of them will be a success and in consequence continue with their work, we certainly need more options rather than fewer. Will developers have to maintain more versions of their software? Well, yes, so what? It's been like that for years... maybe it will get better with standards, but for now that's totally understandable.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla