Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
It's probably already decided that the other half will be a kind of backcover but if it was my decision, I would really split the phone in half, and put the camera and battery in the back. This would allow more upgradeability and really different configurations for different usecases. Want a cheap slim phone? Buy it with a 5mpix shooter and a small battery. Want a camera; get the 12mp protruding back with tripod mount. Back cover may also hold extra emmc.

It has it's drawbacks that backcovers won't be cheap, so getting more of them just to change colors won't be easy, but we have cases for that
Problem is that manufacturing wise that kind of modularity is pretty much as expensive as it can get. Something Jolla has no luxury of. Hell, just offering more than 2 colors seems to be too expensive for these big manufacturers.
Neither can anybody expect any 3rd party to make big investments to provide improved camera on a "other half".

Sure maybe (?) it could be engineering wise possible to actually put the phone in half, but it would be quite of risk to leave it with really crappy hardware and expect there to be better parts in the future.

That said, I would be all for cut the phone in half if it was possible as i'am quite concerned that the current "second half" to flop quite badly.

Last edited by tissot; 2013-07-16 at 16:09.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
They said the specs of the other half will be open. 3D printable even. Perhaps they count on third parties to design and sell other halves. Which would in turn promote (the) Jolla for them, for free.

If the Jolla sells well enough in Asia, there will be numerous parties blasting out other halves.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Oslo - around
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
From an EE perspective I don't see how that can be done, at least without dedicated pins from cellmodem to OH, or with massive tweaks to the cmt firmware to talk to SIM via proxy on AP. [edit] AFAIK even Nokia discontinued their own cell modem branch, and I highly doubt Jolla has the manpower to develop and certify their own modem chip and FW, and they don't have the marketshare/volume to talk modem manufacturers into granting them access to cmt FW on a "do tweaks to it as you like" level.
Well, there's a SIM remote access thing that might or might not be supported by the modem Jolla used on their phone. If such thing is available, it could get exploited.

That's exactly the problem with this OH concept: you can't do everything via a "USB" 4 pin connector.

/j
Samsung is coming with dual SIM, one for voice / GSM and whatever the operator supports, and WiMAX - when they provide coverage. You will soon find phones that run both CDMA for Verizon and GSM for AT&T in the US, but the Chinese has their own S-WCDMA that they support. It is just software now and two separate "ways" makes it easier to write the code, the radio interface definition is located on the SIM.

The Following User Says Thank You to knuthf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Oslo - around
Drop it, and use this instead: Detachable bluetooth keyboard with 1800mAh battery.. Use A2DP profile, contains HID. If you need a keybord only, this comes at $15, th rest is for the battery.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...719474607.html

The Following User Says Thank You to knuthf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
That's exactly the problem with this OH concept: you can't do everything via a "USB" 4 pin connector.

/j
IIRC, the Huawei USB aircards (Qualcomm 8200) can do GSM voice calls.

Two of those, and you get dual-SIM dual-standby.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
I'd like to see a backcover for SailfishOS pull this off:
http://research.nokia.com/news/12133 - Nokia GEM Concept

wrap around screen, context aware, yea...

If they could pull that off, even as a limited tech exercise, that would be something kind of neat.

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
IIRC, the Huawei USB aircards (Qualcomm 8200) can do GSM voice calls.

Two of those, and you get dual-SIM dual-standby.
Yeah, or another complete phone, like in that case for iPhone.
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Would it be possible to build a otherhalf with a stong magnet so it could connect to stuff?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
They said the specs of the other half will be open. 3D printable even. Perhaps they count on third parties to design and sell other halves. Which would in turn promote (the) Jolla for them, for free.

If the Jolla sells well enough in Asia, there will be numerous parties blasting out other halves.
other half us sooo overmarketed people already expect to much I am not even sure it has phycontacts just LOOK at the proto shown its only a bit of plastic but people her still thinks it has possibility for dualaim camera etc...

be realistic! Jolla is an upstart not comparable with samsun, nokia etc...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Would it be possible to build a otherhalf with a stong magnet so it could connect to stuff?
That's a great idea.
Don't need a strong magnet, something like the one on the Surface RT/PRO devices are good enough for mobile.

Just make 2 (waterproof) entry pins on the top corner, and on the opposite bottom corner of the backplate.

Something with a USB interface to pretty much handle all the Plug 'N Play features and charging capabilities of TheOtherHalf... that's the sweet point.

PS Don't spend time on the bs that is NFC and wireless charging, its a gimmick at best.

I'm flattered

Tags
half-assed?, irfmtransceiver, jolla, the other half, voting for nemo