Active Topics

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
That's not the first instance of an x20 Lumia screen shattering like that. A friend in work dropped his from a sofa to a carpeted floor and the screen did something similar. Didn't seem to have been as big an issue of the x00 line though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Yep, that screen is not that dissimilar to so many dropped smartphones including iphone you see daily around you.... I guess someone will need to start making bullet proof screens to prevent such shatter.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Bought a Lumia 520 last month.
Overall it is a very nice device for a good price.
My experience with the Windows Phone 8 OS is a mixed bag.
It looks nice, but after some weeks of use I'm still not sure that the typographic "metro" UI is an improvement over the more traditional buttons and icons.
The application-selection is limited and a lot of developers clearly still need to get a hang writing metro style interfaces (even within Microsoft). Some applications are just terribly confusing, others work remarkably fast and intuitive.
For example the touchdevelop app from Microsoft research is confusing and the (later pulled) Microsoft Youtube application is really good.
Since Microsoft is betting so big on modern/metro UI, they really need to do a much better job in convincing people these typographic interfaces are an improvement.
I was also surprised that the user interface actually is often rather different from Windows 8. It looks similar, but Windows 8 uses swipes and gestures much more than Windows Phone 8 does.

I also experienced a fair amount of bugs. So I would advise people to wait for the Amber update that is planned for next month. I experienced problems registering my microsoft account and the application update feature in the store seems to be broken, also had some crashes and reboots.
I will reserve my judgement to see if WP8 can become my primary phone OS until that update. For now I'm glad I didn't buy a more expensive WP.
In my opinion 160 euro is a good price to test WP, and you really should try WP before you switch!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by captainofiron View Post
so my wife has finally pwned her Lumia

I call her hulk hands because how rough she is on tech.

Anyways, she was texting with one hand, and the phone somehow slipped and hit our tile floor screen first, and it sounded like a picture frame hitting the ground

My wife did the same to her Lumia 800. I bought a replacemnet screen on eBay for £23! It included the digitizer etc. Replaceing it too no more than 30 mins and it works perfectly again.

The Following User Says Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 192 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Austin, Tx
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
My wife did the same to her Lumia 800. I bought a replacemnet screen on eBay for £23! It included the digitizer etc. Replaceing it too no more than 30 mins and it works perfectly again.
nice, not a bad price, I was a bit hesitant to get one off ebay, I had been reading stories of people buying them for their l920s and the screen looking bad/not working/losing touch sensitivity et cetera, I just decided to bite the bullet and get her a genuine nokia one

The Following User Says Thank You to captainofiron For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
so my wife has finally pwned her Lumia

I call her hulk hands because how rough she is on tech.

Anyways, she was texting with one hand, and the phone somehow slipped and hit our tile floor screen first, and it sounded like a picture frame hitting the ground

That's a Windows Phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jellyroll View Post
That's a Windows Phone.
Nope. That is a touchscreen phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
nice, not a bad price, I was a bit hesitant to get one off ebay, I had been reading stories of people buying them for their l920s and the screen looking bad/not working/losing touch sensitivity et cetera, I just decided to bite the bullet and get her a genuine nokia one
I must admit I was sceptical but for less than £25 I thought I would give it a try, and glad i did. The nerve racking part of the replacement process was pushing the new screen in. It needs to be lined up well with the bottom tabs in place and then pushed home firmly.

Very satisfied and now tempted to do my N9 and even change the outer casing

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
I must admit I was sceptical but for less than £25 I thought I would give it a try, and glad i did. The nerve racking part of the replacement process was pushing the new screen in. It needs to be lined up well with the bottom tabs in place and then pushed home firmly.

Very satisfied and now tempted to do my N9 and even change the outer casing
yea it has made me want to do the same for my N9, get rid of some of the battle scars

The Following User Says Thank You to captainofiron For This Useful Post:
so I replaced the screen last night on my wifes phone, it was pretty simple, the hardest part was the double sided take, it was a little hard to separate the portion you needed from the scrap, but eventually it went together

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps3d439743.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps9e338bcf.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps6294de1f.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps5c19863a.jpg

NOTE: I got the screen without the ATT logo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to captainofiron For This Useful Post:

Tags
icebrick vodka, lumia 920