Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
This being mid-2013, I know a lot of people are still using theirs. I ran into an issue yesterday with ogg-support which is likely going to require me to nuke and pave and start over from scratch for the first time since PR1.3 was released. (I've been using CSSU since it came out.) Many of the threads are from 2011 or even earlier, and it's confusing as improvements on other fronts deprecate once bleeding edge improved apps and tools.

As I said in the bootmenu thread, various apps and modifications have come into fashion (e.g. CSSU, BackupMenu) while others seem to have fallen from grace (like the speedpatch, the battery patch, etc). Since I haven't had much spare time to wade in the ocean of great information on t.m.o in the last year or so, so I am so far out of touch with what is current and what isn't.

So I would like to ask the community which enhancements (especially performance ones) still work/are in fashion, and which don't on the N900...And any HOWTOs on how to integrate them onto the device (like which order, etc), especially from a dead start (PR1.3).

What I was running was
  • the latest CSSU
  • swappolube
  • overclocked to 900MHz (via a zimage)
  • speedpatch (an early pre-deb one)
  • battery patch (I think)

I know I also want bootmenu. Judging from the speedpatch and battery patch thread, those two seem to have fallen from favor. Anybody want to revisit what's hot and what's not in performance for the N900 in 2013?

Thanks,
--vr

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VulcanRidr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
* Swappolube is still useful.
* If you have speedy microsd card, FlopSwap is also very useful.
* Kernel power is a must have. Overclocking with DSP profile gives you better response/speed and longer battery life.
* CSSU Testing Thumb2 for lower memory usage and less swap access.
* New DSP gstreamer library together with overclocked kernel power gives you HD video recording via CSSU Camera2 app.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to iceskateclog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
Judging from the speedpatch and battery patch thread, those two seem to have fallen from favor. Anybody want to revisit what's hot and what's not in performance for the N900 in 2013?
I guess you are using the latest CSSU Testing?
If you are you don't mind a bit of package testing so I based my answer on this.

Currently...
CSSU thumb is helps to fight the memory bottleneck.
Swappolube to adjust IO settings. (Proposed Settings)
Swap on uSD with [plug] my app FlopSwap. [/plug]
Backupmenu is useful. You have to keep it up to date and take regular backups (especially after system changes).
Kernel Power (latest is KP52) with Smartreflex on. I don't recommend overclocking myself I don't think it's needed but the maximum is 900Mhz with SR.

NEVER use speedpatch, batterypatch or auto-disconnect. They don't uninstall cleanly and you will have to reflash.
Avoid widgets they generally eat system resources.

Oh FYI it's Fremantle.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
I have a basic setup.

Swappolube. Kernel Power. No battery- speed- patch. Undervolted slightly at 600mHz (@37 whatever that is in millivolts).

UPDATE: And now CSSU testing. The Testing banch with Thumb2 extensions is great. Battery life seems improved as are many of the core programs. I've been a bit reluctant because I prefer have archived packages to OTA updates, but it works and makes a big difference to everyday usability!

Some nice command line apps like make and m4, links-browser, file, less, rsync (couldn't do without rsync), dos2unix, vim and nano, wordnet, aspell, BASH!, busybox-power among many others compiled ages ago like antiword, and dcraw.

Just about every program I don't use has been removed and files purged. Rootfs is at about 160MB.

I'd say the best upgrade is a custom keyboard RX-51 file with pipes and tabs directly on the keyboard. Mine also has some diacritic vowels mapped. Also have a bluetooth keyboard (Thinkoutside Sierra). I use the external TV out cable whenever I can (what a great accessory to include in the box).

3x Polarcell batteries and 2x Nokero Raycel solar panels.
Quite happy. I'd say a very conservative setup for this board. No hackery stuff. And yes, it's my 'puter

Last edited by independent; 2013-06-19 at 22:06. Reason: Missing the point..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to independent For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post

NEVER use speedpatch, batterypatch or auto-disconnect. They don't uninstall cleanly and you will have to reflash.
Autodisconnect is bad? I searched "everywhere", couldn't find anything about it not uninstalling. I installed a while ago, decided there was no use for me, uninstalled. Not seeing any adverse effects. Please point or elaborate.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by chill View Post
Autodisconnect is bad? I searched "everywhere", couldn't find anything about it not uninstalling. I installed a while ago, decided there was no use for me, uninstalled. Not seeing any adverse effects. Please point or elaborate.
http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Joerg_rw/tools
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/...roken_packages

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Hmm I'm was using Auto-disconnect for a very long time and had no problems. The same goes for Wi-fi switcher.

The Following User Says Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
Hmm I'm was using Auto-disconnect for a very long time and had no problems. The same goes for Wi-fi switcher.
And yet, I am cursing wifi-switcher and quick-launch for storing their .a and .la in the same directory with .so, when the built package should contain only .so - .a and .la are transitional files used by gcc when generating .so from .c and .h.
Disclaimer: I haven't used gcc, or packaged anything, for a long time. When I package something, I use no makefiles of any kind, preferring plain Debian packaging.
Best wishes.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
I guess you are using the latest CSSU Testing?
If you are you don't mind a bit of package testing so I based my answer on this.
I don't mind testing. I'm completely comfortable with Linux (and am in fact writing this on my Debian desktop). That's what got me in trouble initially... Attempting to reinstall a currently installed package (apt-get install --reinstall ogg-support). Whether coincidentally or not, I got a number of errors and several directories under /home/opt now give "Stale NFS file handle" errors. But I digress...

Currently...
CSSU thumb is helps to fight the memory bottleneck.
Swappolube to adjust IO settings. (Proposed Settings)
Swap on uSD with [plug] my app FlopSwap. [/plug]
Backupmenu is useful. You have to keep it up to date and take regular backups (especially after system changes).
Kernel Power (latest is KP52) with Smartreflex on. I don't recommend overclocking myself I don't think it's needed but the maximum is 900Mhz with SR.
Okay, I was using CSSU, but CSSU Thumb? I didn't run across that in the repos.
FlopSwap is in my future...As is backupmenu. That will go on as soon as I flash.

Why do you recommend against overclocking? I have been running mine at 900 MHz for two years with no ill effects. And I could tell a difference between 600 and 900. At 900, it was a bit snappier.

Also, is there a recommended patch order or procedure to keep one app from stepping on another? I think that's what happened is that something stepped on ogg-support's changes, and when I reinstalled it, things kind of blew up.

Thanks,
--vr

The Following User Says Thank You to VulcanRidr For This Useful Post:

Tags
fremantle, nokia n900