Active Topics

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Same also started happening to me today...

Might it be useful if someone whose gmail is still working properly can produce the same kind of log, so we can compare a "good" session to a "bad" session?

The Following User Says Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Does deleting that particular mail recover the session?
I have that bug, but don't know which mail triggered it.

The Following User Says Thank You to xvan For This Useful Post:
It is a gmail only problem.
It seems that gmail introduced an automatic folder division for messages.
This system similarly to the spam filter gives a label organization to mails.
This new feature is being introduced to all accounts and it makes non-standard the IMAP transactions.
Even the service is disable (default) can't be removed.
I contacted days ago google, to confirm my supposion: any reply yet.
I think that we need ask a solution to gmail. Modest works properly.
In the other hand it is possible to make modest compatible with the buggy gmail protocol.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ilmanowar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by xvan View Post
Does deleting that particular mail recover the session?
I have that bug, but don't know which mail triggered it.
Doesn't seem to. I deleted the mail, then deleted and recreated the Gmail account, but still having problems -- the inbox doesn't even appear now.

It looks like whatever bug this is, it well and truly messes up Modest.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ilmanowar View Post
It is a gmail only problem.
I can't agree. If there were truly a serious Gmail issue, millions of people across the globe would be up in arms immediately. It would probably be headline news!

My Thunderbird client is having no problem with Gmail, even when reading the e-mail that triggered the issue in my Modest client. Moreover, my other Modest client, in which I haven't yet downloaded the message of interest, is having no problem using Gmail today.

Honestly, something in this particular message is causing Modest to go ga-ga...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Just adding a Me too!

Can't read anything that's come in since 5.30pm BST 11 the June ...

... old messages (even ones I've not read before) open just fine ... it's just new messages sent after that time that are causing the problem ... seems like gmail have definitely changed something!

Hoping someone can find a solution! x

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EmmaGx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I can't agree. If there were truly a serious Gmail issue, millions of people across the globe would be up in arms immediately. It would probably be headline news!

My Thunderbird client is having no problem with Gmail, even when reading the e-mail that triggered the issue in my Modest client. Moreover, my other Modest client, in which I haven't yet downloaded the message of interest, is having no problem using Gmail today.

Honestly, something in this particular message is causing Modest to go ga-ga...
It's possible, that gmail changed something to non-standard, yet, supported by most mainstream mail clients. So called "corporate spoiling" of standards, i.e. enforcing adapting to your shitte, just because you're popular. I'm not sure if it's the case here, but it is very suspicious, that problems started to appear in sync with google adding a new "feature" (no matter if you want it or not).

OTOH, it is possible, that modest "gmail" automatic configuration was already "spoiled" by bending to some non-standards things, that were changed, lately. In this case, not only setting gmail to work via pop3 (we already confirmed it's working), but also *manually* (avoiding automatic setup for gmail!) adding imap account for gmail, typing ports by the hand etc, should help. I haven't tried it yet, it's just a theory.

BTW, I got hit by that bug, too. Strangely, in my case, it happened with old mail that was already opened in the past - one with attachement. Other old mails, without attachements, are working fine (for nowj.

It would reinforce point about fault geing on gmail's side, due to some changes they introduce. (or, modest *was* bugged after all, but gmail change just triggered that bug). In any case, google sux

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
It's possible, that gmail changed something to non-standard, yet, supported by most mainstream mail clients.
I just can't believe it, personally. Sure, things happen that are advantageous to mainstream mail clients from time to time; but, there are just so many non-mainstream mail clients out there (and the mail system is so well entrenched by this point anyway), that a change that has this drastic of an effect on clients would have people at Google's doors with pitchforks in mere moments. (Heck, you can already see the fire in people's eyes just from the folks here using Modest.) Honestly, if Google ever did cause something this significant, they'd be backing it out of their system in mere hours.

BTW, I got hit by that bug, too. Strangely, in my case, it happened with old mail that was already opened in the past - one with attachement. Other old mails, without attachements, are working fine (for nowj.
I'm fairly certain now that the first message Marmistrz sent me triggered the bug, even though I was able to download and read it. Every message after that one, from him or anyone else, generates the error message.

From the log messages, it appears that Modest has gone wonky about IMAP UID numbers. Essentially, it can still download mail from Gmail (or whoever), but some check at the end determines that the UID was wrong and gives up, even though it is apparent that both Modest and Google agreed on the UID up to that point. This really has to be a bug on Modest's part somewhere...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
I agree with Copernicus that it seems to be a bug in modest

EDIT:

More precisely - not in modest, but in tinymail-camel

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Just to confirm that its a modest bug, I use offline imap + mutt without any issue.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xvan For This Useful Post:

Tags
modest, nokia n900