Active Topics

Hi guys,

I'm pretty much at ropes end here. My White N9 has developed an issue recently with the display. Essentially it would freeze and then turn off all together. Here is the link for those who might want to see the issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UgJOyfL-1c
As you can see, the display would periodically flash, then anything on the display would jumble up, and baam it turns off to the lock screen but the clock is not visible! After couple minutes of inactivity it would be usable to certain extent again.
I have never dropped my N9 and the issue sprang up all of a sudden. I live in Canada and Nokia has dutifully advised me since N9 is not released in Canada, they would not fix it through the Authorized Service Centre although I have offered to pay in full. If anyone has any idea on what the issue is and how to fix it I would appreciate it.
Btw, I have already reset the device with no results and then reflashed it to its original image with no results either.

Appreciate all the help.

Posts: 665 | Thanked: 2,388 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Zagreb, Croatia
Funny, I'm seeing the same more often now. I'm inclined it's software related on graphical cache.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
I think you best bet first is to make a back up and save it on a PC then do a full flash of the device. This will at least rule out any SW issues and if it is still occurring it would likely be hardware.

On my N900 I had all sorts of glitches happening when the battery started to wear out. What condition does your N9 say that the battery is in?

The Following User Says Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 665 | Thanked: 2,388 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Zagreb, Croatia
OS says battery condition is good. But it seems logical. :/
Will do some battery tests.

I have done a full Flash of both the main and eMMC bin files.
The only thing that I can say could be remotely related in my case is the fact, that the screen freezes do get worse and more often when the Internet Connection is on!

Also the battery seems to be in good condition, the OS certainly says so!
By my normal usage (half an hour of online, couple hours of music playback, and normal amount of text and call) I only need to charge the phone every third or sometimes forth day. That's pretty much going from 100% to 4%.

Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Originally Posted by a630mp View Post
I have done a full Flash of both the main and eMMC bin files.
The only thing that I can say could be remotely related in my case is the fact, that the screen freezes do get worse and more often when the Internet Connection is on!
As I've seen on the video that error is related to software not hardware. I can see the turn on/off animation (or is it the camera effect). Either way, after a full flash, try to use it without restoring any data. Maybe one of your apps is corrupted/bad or just faulty.

If everything is not working, take it to a local service for diagnosis, and as a last resort, change the LCD flex (it must have one) or the LCD driver.

Originally Posted by TheoX View Post
As I've seen on the video that error is related to software not hardware. I can see the turn on/off animation (or is it the camera effect). Either way, after a full flash, try to use it without restoring any data. Maybe one of your apps is corrupted/bad or just faulty.

If everything is not working, take it to a local service for diagnosis, and as a last resort, change the LCD flex (it must have one) or the LCD driver.
I watched my video on YouTube again to see if that was indeed the Turn on/off animation or not. It's certainly not the animation.
Also I never restored any data as all my contacts and so on are saved on my Google account, so all I need to do is set up the account. There are also no 3rd party apps other than the MeeScan, Filebox on the device but the issue is still there more or less but not as persistently.
The problem that had with service centre is the fact that Nokia service center in Canada refuses to even take a look at it due to warranty issues (they say it's not released in Canada and we don't support it, you can send it back to UAE where it was purchased or send yours and get a 16GB Cyan one as a replacement).
As for changing the LCD driver, I would appreciate it if anyone can help with the know-how. Also what is the LCD Flex? Is it the ribbon that connect it to the main-board?