Active Topics

I wanted to do a video call today, and I found out that it doesnt work either way.

When I got incoming call from PC, I get a message about being invited to a hangout, instead of an actual incoming call.

When I tried and outgoing call, it crashed on the PC side (gmail ) after 2 rings with a message in the gmail side saying something is wrong with servers-please try later.

It used to work before, and as Knobtviker said above, things have gone wrong after they added the hangout system in gmail.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
nokiac,

Just a general note, when initiating a call from a PC, use the option in "More options" to start a video call instead of the video camera icon that initiates a hangout session...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
nokiac,

Just a general note, when initiating a call from a PC, use the option in "More options" to start a video call instead of the video camera icon that initiates a hangout session...
I do not see the "Start a video call " option under more options in Gmail interface. Which browser did you use to try this ?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Anyone know if this still works with Hangouts?
I've been trying to get it to work w/o any success.
Calling via Chrome on a rMBP (via diff. Google acct) to a N9.
Even using "pre" hangouts stuff doesn't seem to to work

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-19 at 12:42.

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Bahía Blanca, Argentina
No, if you uninstall the old Gtalk plugin from your PC you'll have the choice to only install the new Hangouts, wich has totally dropped support for the old school videocalls

Even the emoticons stopped working between my N9 and a friend's LG with android and the new hangouts

This only leaves pure text chat available for Gtalk on the N9, and if you try writing an emoticon the classic way ":P" it will detect it and try to encode, wich would fail as I said before. So not even classic text emoticons are possible.

Otherwise the old Gtalk plugin was working as always before I unistalled it to install the new Hangouts. As we know only outgoing videocalls from the phone were working, and not incoming from the web plugin. If you actively use that feature DON'T UNINSTALL THE OLD GTALK PLUGIN, otherwise you'll have to use the new Hangouts and no videocalls.

This needs a soft update as soon as possible, this is more important that the Twitter update. Now the videocall app on the Store has officially become useless from part-useless.

EDIT: You can still use the old interface in Gmail and have the videocall option compatible with MeeGo in the small popup menu from each chat window. Just uninstall Hangouts if you have it installed, oterwise it'll pop up everytime you select a contact to chat in Gmail (remember outgoing videocalls from the phone may still not work, as we know)

1100 >> 3220 >> 5310 >> 5230 >> N9

Last edited by Hambert; 2013-05-21 at 17:56.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hambert For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Rant on nokia grrr
they have support till 2015 na
why dont they announce no supp insted?

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hambert View Post
Otherwise the old Gtalk plugin was working as always before I uninstalled it to install the new Hangouts.
Noted, but I had issues even in Firefox, where there's no Hangout plugin installed.

As we know only outgoing videocalls from the phone were working, and not incoming from the web plugin.
Grrrr, I must've missed this issue, are you sure it's a universal problem?
What about incoming from another N9? I guess it's still fundamentally the same thing.

This needs a soft update as soon as possible, this is more important that the Twitter update. Now the videocall app on the Store has officially become useless from part-useless.
Agreed, farking hell Nokia... >.>

EDIT: You can still use the old interface in Gmail and have the videocall option compatible with MeeGo in the small popup menu from each chat window.
I tried this in Firefox & no dice, but I guess that's because I was trying from the Web (inbound) & not the N9 (outbound), right?

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-22 at 08:05.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I tried this in Firefox & no dice, but I guess that's because I was trying from the Web (inbound) & not the N9 (outbound), right?
Hi, I've tested that in Chrome, no idea about Firefox or IE.

The thing is, if you've installed the new HangOuts plugin for Chrome (Link "Available for your computer" button), you won't see anymore the classic Gtalk windows while using it in the Gmail webmail. A Hangouts window will popup instead of the classic window, with no videocall option other than the new "Start Hangout" wich we now it's not working with our N9.

Just uninstall the Hangouts complement from Chrome setup and all will be as before.

So how do I test an outgoing call, does someone in my contacts (assuming any of my contacts even use GTalk) have to be in GMail before it works?
And can other N9 or GMail users (without the Hangout plugin & logged into GMail with Chrome) seriously not contact me?

To start a videocall you'll need your N9, and an online Gtalk (now hangouts) user with a videocall capable and compatible device.

If your contact is online in the Gmail Webmail with the classic gtalk, he will be able to videocall you but an error will ocurr if you try to call him/her from your N9.

I dont know if the system is working between 2 N9s, i think yes, in both ways.

A videocall between an N9 and an Android phone is know to have issues too, read the thread a couple of pages before.

bye!

The Following User Says Thank You to Hambert For This Useful Post:

Tags
gtalk, video call