Active Topics

You guys are great - thanks.
Its not necessarily about simple...if I could ever find a Linux class...but its difficult to learn without a teacher. (for me).

Originally Posted by HWL View Post
FWIW - now that I have my OS2008 N800 runnig on WLAN and thru my Cingular cell system, a really nice applet would be something like ipconfig, which I cannot get to run on my 2008 OS.
Fee Fi Fo Fum, I smell the blood of an Windows man! http://www.gandolf.com/cornwall/gian...jackgk01.shtml

Linux uses ifconfig not ipconfig (you usually have to prefix the full path /sbin/ifconfig

I know you were asking about an applet but it sounded like you where having trouble in the shell

yes thanks...
I got the applet, but the Connection Manager prog would be fine/better if it displayed the IP address details simultaneously. dont really need to see data flow.
I have the Simple Launcher applet so its easy to bring up CM...my issues stem from needing control over the Wifi and Bluetooth "selection".

Slowly making my N800's into workhorses (and happy about it). Im sure Linux smarts is all thats holding me back. Great tool.

Originally Posted by clach04 View Post
Fee Fi Fo Fum, I smell the blood of an Windows man! http://www.gandolf.com/cornwall/gian...jackgk01.shtml

Linux uses ifconfig not ipconfig (you usually have to prefix the full path /sbin/ifconfig

I know you were asking about an applet but it sounded like you where having trouble in the shell
Haha the difference between those still gets me today. I'll be doing network troubleshooting in either Linux or Windows and I'll be wondering why the command isn't working.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Wish you knew how to program, HA!

Any experience with shell scripting?
Well, there's no time like the present to learn. A somewhat related thread may be found where Linux Author and others were making the N800 read the IP addresses of all connections aloud. Here it is. You could, with a bit more scripting, make that read whatever data you want.

And if you use osso-statusbar-cpu (which provides a drop-down menu for launching scripts), you can do:

tap
tap
<n800 reads data>

Depending on your situation, reading might be more or less useful than display, as you're discussing, but I thought I'd throw it out there. It's far easier to pick up scripting than real programming, and I don't know any way to display the output of a script in an applet.

Last edited by Benson; 2008-01-25 at 21:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post: