I have upgraded my n900 with cssu thumb and devel to the latest debian packages from your repository. All works fine, but some packages have unmet dependencies. Here is the log:
Nokia-N900:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
libarchive1 libsdl-image1.2 python python-all python-minimal xml-core
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
Nokia-N900:~# apt-get install libarchive1 libsdl-image1.2 python python-all python-minimal xml-core
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
hildon-application-manager: Depends: libalarm2 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libapt-pkg-libc6.5-6-4.6
Depends: libcairo2 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libconic0 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libcurl3 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libfontconfig1 (>= 2.6.0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libfreetype6 (>= 2.3.9) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libgconf2-6 (>= 2.13.5) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2:2.12.9-0osso1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libhildon1 (>= 2.2.22) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libhildondesktop1 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libhildonfm2 (>= 1:2.28+0m5) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libosso-gnomevfs2-0 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libpango1.0-0 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.13-4) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: maemo-launcher but it is not going to be installed
libarchive1: Depends: liblzma2 (>= 4.999.9beta+20091116) but it is not installable
Depends: libxml2 (>= 2.6.32) but it is not going to be installed
libsdl-image1.2: Depends: libsdl1.2debian (> 1.2.4) but it is not installable
Depends: libtiff4 but it is not going to be installed
python: Depends: python2.6 (>= 2.6.6-1~) but it is not installable
python-all: Depends: python2.5 (>= 2.5.5-6) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: python2.6 (>= 2.6.5-2) but it is not installable
python-minimal: Depends: python2.6-minimal (>= 2.6.6-1~) but it is not installable
softupd: Depends: dosfstools but it is not going to be installed
xml-core: Depends: sgml-base (>= 1.17) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: sed (>= 4.1.2-8)
E: Broken packages

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ExLuzZziVo For This Useful Post:
with the dependancy on mingw in gzip, is it not simpler to just edit the control file and build scripts to make it saner?

I know what you mean about the ones you built, lots of build time dependencies that are not required on device. eg some just to build the translation,using a python module, based on several others, requiring a library and an executable to build one doc page. Tracking down a sane build order for packages and these is a P.I.T.A

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 88 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Solingen; Germany
First of all, I'm very interested in your work and I would really like to tell you something about my thoughts.

I was working on Ubuntu packages for Cordia a long time ago. I'm sure my packages on launchpad.net are still online and working.
I was investing many days getting Hildon working on Ubuntu and at the end I got it working (well, at its minimum but worked.)
There were many problems with hildon-desktop and all its components which needed some small patches. So I needed so downgrade gtk+ I think. The only problem was that I didn't get much attention, when reporting problems, which would be fixed soon. Maybe we should ask the CSSU team for better support on that.
However, since Ubuntu got alive on N900 and some of you were working on it I would help you getting drivers, etc. packaged (as I already did for Intel EMGD in the past).
In short: My job there was to downgrade all Xorg packages to make it work with EMGD.

I think we should first take care about the Ubuntu installation and make it clean. I mean without doing any modifications as found in the Ubuntu wiki - packaging everything clean and smooth.
When everything is done, we can start taking care about how to install our Ubuntu bundle on the internal eMMC of the N900 and other problems.

For those who don't know. It is very easy getting armhf packages on launchpad.net. I already made automated builds work for the Kivy project in our PPA.

What do you think? I'll be soon online on #maemo at Freenode. Fell free to ping me there - possibly I could be away :/

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to thopiekar For This Useful Post:
Now there are more than 650 packages: http://cc.oulu.fi/~rantalai/maemo5/squeeze/repo/

Nothing very cool yet. Non-optified, may eat your phone.

----------------
Some typical problems I have encountered during dpkg-buildpackage several times:

*tar: FILENAME: file changed as we read it
Workaround: Read log what it tried last and run it manually, e.g. run manually: dh_builddeb -a
Maybe about scratchbox? Or failing harddisk (but with same package it happens every time)?

*dpkg-shlibdeps: error: no dependency information found for XXX (used by YYY)
e.g: dh_shlibdeps: dpkg-shlibdeps -Tdebian/libgmpxx4ldbl.substvars debian/libgmpxx4ldbl/usr/lib/libgmpxx.so.4.1.2 returned exit code 2
Workaround: use dh_shlibdeps --dpkg-shlibdeps-params=--ignore-missing-info

*cp: cannot open `debian/tmp/XXX/FILENAME' for reading: Too many levels of symbolic links
Where FILENAME is not symlink at all.
Workaround: run: dpkg --build debian/FOLDER (sometimes doesn't work)

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
I took a quick look through the available packages. Great start, any tests on device yet? if so any observations (performance,size etc)

One thing I noted, selinux. didn't realize Maemo had packages until I checked. Maybe as a long long long term goal, like if we ever find an alternative, modern device to use, this is something we could enable look into for improved security.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
with the dependancy on mingw in gzip, is it not simpler to just edit the control file and build scripts to make it saner?

I know what you mean about the ones you built, lots of build time dependencies that are not required on device. eg some just to build the translation,using a python module, based on several others, requiring a library and an executable to build one doc page. Tracking down a sane build order for packages and these is a P.I.T.A
Whatever happened to the idiot-proof ./configure && make?

For some reason people keep reinventing the wheel (dpkg, cmake, upstart, systemd; to only name a few), where no *actual* problem has ever been identified with e.g. sysvinit and compiling from source.

But I guess it's too late to go back. Maybe *BSD is still OK. Have to check that.

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
@AapoRantalainen: it is not better to use wheezy instead?

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
Now there are more than 650 packages: http://cc.oulu.fi/~rantalai/maemo5/squeeze/repo/

Nothing very cool yet. Non-optified, may eat your phone.

----------------
Some typical problems I have encountered during dpkg-buildpackage several times:

*tar: FILENAME: file changed as we read it
Workaround: Read log what it tried last and run it manually, e.g. run manually: dh_builddeb -a
Maybe about scratchbox? Or failing harddisk (but with same package it happens every time)?

*dpkg-shlibdeps: error: no dependency information found for XXX (used by YYY)
e.g: dh_shlibdeps: dpkg-shlibdeps -Tdebian/libgmpxx4ldbl.substvars debian/libgmpxx4ldbl/usr/lib/libgmpxx.so.4.1.2 returned exit code 2
Workaround: use dh_shlibdeps --dpkg-shlibdeps-params=--ignore-missing-info

*cp: cannot open `debian/tmp/XXX/FILENAME' for reading: Too many levels of symbolic links
Where FILENAME is not symlink at all.
Workaround: run: dpkg --build debian/FOLDER (sometimes doesn't work)
maybe, if we're rebasing the whole system on top of debian, we should get rid of the whole rootfs and optify mess (some startup repartiton script or a flashing image?)

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
@marmistrz: I suggested earlier: first to install it on eMMC or SD card and then start thinking how to fit it into nand. I think best way would be to move /usr on eMMC, but this has one big problem that udev does not working with separate /usr and /. So before starting init /usr should be mounted. But mounting from fstab is done after udev... so still we need some /sbin/preinit hack for this...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by pali View Post
@marmistrz: I suggested earlier: first to install it on eMMC or SD card and then start thinking how to fit it into nand. I think best way would be to move /usr on eMMC, but this has one big problem that udev does not working with separate /usr and /. So before starting init /usr should be mounted. But mounting from fstab is done after udev... so still we need some /sbin/preinit hack for this...
and what if emmc := whole rootfs,
rootfs := /tmp, /vat/tmp

itd maybe be a way out

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post: