Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
iianm, google may have plan to purge caldav/carddav too...
... which would be another reason not to use google's services.

But given its legacy, I expect Sailfish to use Buteo or SyncEvolution for synchronization, so I guess at least SyncML should be there. Now is SyncML not that popular anymore. Why is that? It seems much more efficient to me and offers much more than just calendar and contacts. Even the N95 allowed for syncing cal/card/todos/sms and browser bookmarks, all using the same SyncML account.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
iianm, google may have plan to purge caldav/carddav too...
Why should they? CalDAV and CardDAV are Internet standards. Google aren't stupid to reinvent the wheel. That's more Microsoft's cup of tea. Are you just speculating, or you've heard something about it?

They added it recently. Why should they suddenly drop it now?

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2012/0...-contacts.html

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-03-18 at 00:44.

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Why should they? CalDAV and CardDAV are Internet standards. Google aren't stupid to reinvent the wheel. That's more Microsoft's cup of tea. Are you just speculating, or you've heard something about it?

the speculation has been around since they seem to be trying to push everything into google+, why not cal and contacts

The Following User Says Thank You to waldo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011

http://googleblog.blogspot.ca/2013/0...-cleaning.html

CalDAV API will become available for whitelisted developers, and will be shut down for other developers on September 16, 2013. Most developers’ use cases are handled well by Google Calendar API, which we recommend using instead. If you’re a developer and the Calendar API won’t work for you, please fill out this form to tell us about your use case and request access to whitelisted-only CalDAV API.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
This is weird. So they switch to their proprietary API? I'm not sure what it refers to when talking about developers only. What about users? Will CalDAV be accessible to the users of Google Calendar or not?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
This is weird. So they switch to their proprietary API? I'm not sure what it refers to when talking about developers only. What about users? Will CalDAV be accessible to the users of Google Calendar or not?
Google is becoming apple, but since they are a web company it could be worse

I'd say - don't use their calendar then. Choose any service which supports CalDAV. Just found something like this:

https://fruux.com/

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-03-18 at 04:06.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
If it's completely open*, available for others to use, & is better in some ways than caldav, then it's not necessarily a big issue...
New standards are often initially driven by one big co, & then gain wider adoption/acceptance in a open/transparent way, but I don't like the sound of the name "Google Calendar API".

If anyone has more info. about it all, we'd love to know what the real deal is....
If it's definitely not acceptable, then that's another thing that needs to be communicated to Sailfish via the docs, & the best approach outlined.
(they probably still need to support Google's new "standard" though -unfortunately)

*in the sense that it's steered by a group at arms length from googl, or at least with some sort of autonomy, & in a open/collaborative way.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-03-18 at 04:15.

So far I didn't find any details on the licensing of their "Google Calendar API". For what it's worth - CalDAV is already a IETF approved standard. This new thing - who knows.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
I'd say - don't use their calendar then. Choose any service which supports CalDAV. Just found something like this:

https://fruux.com/
You can have your own implementation of CalDAV and CardDAV on your own server or whatever but the point of people is that they have grown into using Google's services and its perfectly reasonable for these people to ask for something similar on a OS they plan to switch to. After all iOS and Android users won't be having too much trouble, would they?

FWIW I don't use Google's services for such but asking people to switch to something else is not really a good idea. After all Sailfish is not a dead OS that needs work-arounds

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open